• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gunshot 'GPS' could help in neighborhoods

protias

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/116785178.html

This seems like a pretty neat technology. However, perhaps they should patrol more in those areas where violence in high? Oh wait, police can't be everywhere. Maybe honest citizens should be armed where and when they please? And besides, this system is not going to help with stabbing or beatings. In fact, most rapes are done with no inanimate objects. It seems Milwaukee thinks only "gun violence" is the only type of violence out there. :rolleyes:

anmut

While the concept is interesting I don't think that all of Milwaukee should have to pay for a system just in the ghettos. What the police should try to do is arrest and hold violent offenders, not wait for them to go out shooting before they come to get them.

protias

While the concept is interesting I don't think that all of Milwaukee should have to pay for a system just in the ghettos. What the police should try to do is arrest and hold violent offenders, not wait for them to go out shooting before they come to get them.
Or keep them in prison instead of releasing them? Or better yet, reinstate capital punishment for WI. Then the violent criminals will be kept off the street!

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
So the response time is fast enough to intercept the projectile before hitting it's target? If not, why waste the time and money? Instead, why not empower the people to be able to defend themselves and take the criminal elopement off the streets and keep them locked up?

Lurchiron

$500,000 for a military tool designed for locating snipers? If you got snipers pinning down patrols; you got more problems than just their location...other than that, how 'bout ya just roll the window down; and listen...daah!!!

LR Yote 312

Milwaukee just kicked out how many hundreds of thousands of dollars
for a radio system that dont work.

If they wanna know where the gunshots are comin from
extrapalate the data from the dead guy.

Here's a hint...if its inside my door way they wont have far to look.

Let us do our job protecting our selves,and we wont need this B.S.

LR Yote

HandyHamlet

how 'bout ya just roll the window down; and listen...daah!!!

No ****. That's what I was thinking.

According to Milwaukee Police Chief Edward Flynn, in some places people don't even bother calling 911 after hearing a gunshot.

The dipsh*t knows where "some places" are. So that's where his Troops are located as well. Right?

(ah-ha, censor program didn't see that one coming now did it!)

Last edited:

oak1971

Leave it Milwaukee to find yet another new way to waste colossal sums of cash on crap that won't solve the problem.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Let's just walk around that elephant in the room....

What a great idea; for a half million dollars, the police will now know exactly where to go to tag 'em, bag 'em, and fill out a report. :banghead: Maybe this is an initiative to save gas in the cruisers.

Did they ever think that maybe the reason residents don't call in gun shots any more is because nothing timely or useful is ever done about it. Let's just walk around that elephant in the room....

oak1971

Agreed.
So far nothing has solved the problem.
Of Flynn and his wandering trouser snake.

He should go away, no arguing that. Sad thing is that they will hire another just like him. As long as there is a Lib in the mayor's office nothing will change.

Another thing that does not help is aldermen screaming bloody murder when police try to clean out the hood.

Last edited:

oak1971

What a great idea; for a half million dollars, the police will now know exactly where to go to tag 'em, bag 'em, and fill out a report. :banghead: Maybe this is an initiative to save gas in the cruisers.

Did they ever think that maybe the reason residents don't call in gun shots any more is because nothing timely or useful is ever done about it. Let's just walk around that elephant in the room....

They don't call it in because they hate the police more than the gang bangers.

civilwarguy

ok maybe i am wrong here but seems to me this requires microphones and said microphones could (not saying they will but just could) be used for "spying" on people. Again i am not even implying the police would be the ones doing this but anything can be hacked and miss used..... just saying

HandyHamlet

fff.jpg

Vandil

Doesn't Janesville have a similar system in place already? HAs that system ever been of any use?