• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter from Afganistan to WIS Senators

ayce2

My wife's cousin" son:

I am a soldier serving in the United States Army currently serving in Afghanistan. I am writing as a result of the recent actions, or lack of actions, in the state Senate. I am fully aware of the situation and the terms brought to the table concerning the budget and the legislation to fix it. What concern me are not the issues at all. Regardless of party or political view, the actions of the Democratic Senators were appalling! Running away from a vote because of the fear of failure is wrong on many levels. First of all as a politician it is an obligation to vote on matters regarding the state and the welfare of the people of the state. An American Citizen has a right to vote, which means they may choose to vote how they see fit or not to vote at all. As a Senator the right to vote is now not only a right but an obligation. Also I see a very large double standard in a Senator campaigning and asking for votes to run away from a vote themselves. The job of a Senator in this situation is to vote "yay" or "nay" and let the votes fall as they may, that is how Democracy works, not to act like cowards and run. Running abandons Democracy and all of the American people they swore to represent.

Regardless of any views on this war we are fighting right now, my comrades and I are American soldiers. As soldiers we fight to defend Democracy. Democracy is based, very largely, on the right, and as a Senator the obligation, to vote. By "running away" the 14 WI Senators slap Democracy in the face therefore slapping all who defend it in the face! Being from WI I am heartbroken and extremely let down by the appalling actions of these Senators on a public, national stage.

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.

The above is the Oath of Office which each Wisconsin Senator swears to when entering office. The end of that oath states "I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God." This statement does not state "I will vote when I feel like it and abandon my office which I have sworn to uphold when the result may be other than I would like to see." I know for a fact, having worked in the wonderful state of Wisconsin, that if any company employee blatantly decided to walk out on their job and to publicly disgrace the company they worked for they would be terminated immediately. This may sound as a bold request to some but I am calling for the resignation of all 14 of the Senators who abandoned their job, the people of the state of Wisconsin, and their duty as political officers, and publicly disgraced the entire state.

I fear what our state and furthermore our country will become if this type of action is allowed to continue without consequence.

- A very concerned and insulted American soldier

eye95

Not to detract from the excellent point made by the above letter, but the oath taken by Wisconsin officials is:

I, (official's name), having been elected or appointed to the office of (title) swear (or affirm) that I will support the constitution of the United States and the constitution of the State of Wisconsin, and will faithfully and impartially discharge the duties of said office to the best of my ability. So help me God.

jbone

Nice letter written to those dastardly dopes. The only problem I see with the letter is the overwhelming chance they will never see, or read it. Their running, I mean abandoning the flag and the people has shown allegiance is to themselves, and therefore don’t give a rats… about us modern day peasants. Is this just one more example that we are returning to being ruled?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Nice letter written to those dastardly dopes. The only problem I see with the letter is the overwhelming chance they will never see, or read it.

Really? Just print and forward. The addresses of all of our representatives are available online. If a thousandfolks print it and just ten read it, yes, one, will find it.

Their running, I mean abandoning the flag and the people has shown allegiance is to themselves, and therefore don’t give a rats… about us modern day peasants. Is this just one more example that we are returning to being ruled?

Hope not. I won't put up for it.