Thread: Home Gun Safe?

Home Gun Safe?

Going to purchase a better gun safe this weekend - any thoughts on brand names and features? What to look for and what to stay away from?

Thank you in advance!

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by anmut View Post
    Going to purchase a better gun safe this weekend - any thoughts on brand names and features? What to look for and what to stay away from?

Thank you in advance!
    I also had to purchase another (larger) safe this past summer. I went with a Liberty Colonial 23. Good latching bolt design, decent fire protection for the money, hinges inside, recessed door, and I opted for the combination lock. Buy the best you can find that satisfies your needs for the dollars you are willing to spend. Safes are deterrents in that if someone has the time, ability, and tools, they are going to get into a safe. The only thing that will keep them from doing this is armed confrontation. For most people, a quality safe will deter just about any burglar from stealing its contents.

You should consider factors such as home location (is it deep in rural country or in a development), location in the home where the safe will be placed (very important), and break-in patterns within one's area. Nothing is perfect but you will stop almost anyone with a very good safe.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

I have kind of a different take on the use of a safe for guns and accessories. (No kids in the house, and both of us have CPL and shoot regularly at the range).

Rather than getting a big floor safe, what about getting a small safe and just store your ammo in it and the occasional gun when it's not in use. If there's a fire, you don't have rounds going off. I just close the door and don't even bother to lock it.

With a very low risk of burglary (very safe area, gated community, etc.), istm it's better to use it as a fire-resistant and bullet resistant storage container.

YMMV

Fort Knox all the way, well worth the cost. I have had mine for several years now and love it.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Thanks guys for the replies - any thoughts on the Stack-On safes?

Quote Originally Posted by anmut View Post
    Thanks guys for the replies - any thoughts on the Stack-On safes?
    Honestly, I've always wanted to walk up to one with a crowbar and a drill just to see...

But it's better than nothing, and will stop some people.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    Honestly, I've always wanted to walk up to one with a crowbar and a drill just to see...

But it's better than nothing, and will stop some people.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy0iMfDcGUs
    Last edited by zack991; 02-24-2011 at 09:03 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,