• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home Gun Safe?

anmut

Going to purchase a better gun safe this weekend - any thoughts on brand names and features? What to look for and what to stay away from?

Thank you in advance!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Going to purchase a better gun safe this weekend - any thoughts on brand names and features? What to look for and what to stay away from?

Thank you in advance!

I also had to purchase another (larger) safe this past summer. I went with a Liberty Colonial 23. Good latching bolt design, decent fire protection for the money, hinges inside, recessed door, and I opted for the combination lock. Buy the best you can find that satisfies your needs for the dollars you are willing to spend. Safes are deterrents in that if someone has the time, ability, and tools, they are going to get into a safe. The only thing that will keep them from doing this is armed confrontation. For most people, a quality safe will deter just about any burglar from stealing its contents.

You should consider factors such as home location (is it deep in rural country or in a development), location in the home where the safe will be placed (very important), and break-in patterns within one's area. Nothing is perfect but you will stop almost anyone with a very good safe.

Badger Johnson

I have kind of a different take on the use of a safe for guns and accessories. (No kids in the house, and both of us have CPL and shoot regularly at the range).

Rather than getting a big floor safe, what about getting a small safe and just store your ammo in it and the occasional gun when it's not in use. If there's a fire, you don't have rounds going off. I just close the door and don't even bother to lock it.

With a very low risk of burglary (very safe area, gated community, etc.), istm it's better to use it as a fire-resistant and bullet resistant storage container.

YMMV

zack991

Fort Knox all the way, well worth the cost. I have had mine for several years now and love it.

sultan62

Thanks guys for the replies - any thoughts on the Stack-On safes?

Honestly, I've always wanted to walk up to one with a crowbar and a drill just to see...

But it's better than nothing, and will stop some people.