Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charles Cotton not our best friend.

Charles Cotton not our best friend.

Charles Cotton is an elitist. He thinks that CHL holders are an elite group. I am banned from www.texaschlforum.com because I called him out on something. He was a board member of TSRA and NRA and stated that until the board brought it up to go after open carry as a right, he would not support it. I told him to grow some cojones and bring it up himself and that's when he reported me to the admins and I got banned. Not a big loss for me. He ain't got a lick of common sense anyway. I know this from personal dealings with the guy. He refuses to debate anyone on the subject and simply gets anyone that tries to bring it up in a sensible manner in trouble with the admins. He is now saying that we at OCDO are blaming him and Alice Tripp for the open carry bill not being filed as yet and not being passed last session. He has claimed that I said this. Well, he's also a liar. I've never blamed him or Alice Tripp for this. I have said that they were both openly hostile to it. I have blamed Mike Guzman because he admitted that he did everything he could to keep it from being filed last session. Cotton has no character and will not debate it, just trash it. He has toned it down quite a bit lately and will most likely claim he never did trash open carry, not so.

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=42540
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Cross forum dramas are teh bad. :/

Moderator / Administrator

Don't vote for Charles Cotton for NRA Board of Directors!

Interesting - just a few minutes ago tonight I marked my NRA board of directors ballot - I saw Cotton's name, and circled it to make sure i would not accidentally vote for Cotton.

I then proceeded to vote for Erik Estrada of Los Angeles (who can not vote for Ponch, eh?), and for all the candidates hailing from Gold Star open carry states - that left me a few votes shy of the 25 votes allowed, but I left it at that - no reason to dilute my own votes for, and against in effect, Cotton.

Time for the old guard to go!

Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    There's little way to debate it except cross-forum, when one forum is so overly sensitive that people get banned for disagreeing on important matters.

I've been banned twice from Cotton's forum. I'm still there, though. I wonder if he thinks a user is restricted to a single IP address?

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    There's little way to debate it except cross-forum, when one forum is so overly sensitive that people get banned for disagreeing on important matters.

I've been banned twice from Cotton's forum. I'm still there, though. I wonder if he thinks a user is restricted to a single IP address?
    I wouldn't bother posting on a board that banned me. Not worth the time nor effort. Also not worth the time nor effort to debate with someone whos banned me. Don't like it? Make your own forums, etc, etc..

/shrug
    Last edited by VW_Factor; 02-24-2011 at 11:25 PM.

I wouldn't bother posting on a board that banned me. Not worth the time nor effort. Also not worth the time nor effort to debate with someone whos banned me. Don't like it? Make your own forums, etc, etc..
    I visit there a couple of times a week because the vast majority of posters are good people with good information.

I don't post a lot there, simply because I have to bite my tongue and not speak honestly. Not because of the conversation in the threads, but because the moderators are so quick to pull the trigger on what they deem "objectionable" content.

If someone would go to their forum and invite them over here to debate, it would not have to be cross forum.
    Will Rogers

Banned
    True.

Mentioning that a person is anti-OC (or that he is running for office in the NRA and that voting for him should be avoided, as Mike did) is useful. Dragging the drama over is useless.

I wonder what troublemakers and former members he's referring to?

I wonder what troublemakers and former members he's referring to?
    I'm one and the other is someone that keeps going back with a different IP address. I have a good idea but will not say.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Interesting - just a few minutes ago tonight I marked my NRA board of directors ballot - I saw Cotton's name, and circled it to make sure i would not accidentally vote for Cotton.

[b]I then proceeded to vote for Erik Estrada of Los Angeles (who can not vote for Ponch, eh?), and for all the candidates hailing from Gold Star open carry states - that left me a few votes shy of the 25 votes allowed, but I left it at that - no reason to dilute my own votes for, and against in effect, Cotton.

Time for the old guard to go!
    Agreed 100%
    Last edited by zack991; 02-26-2011 at 02:02 AM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Accomplished Advocate
    I used to be a member over there, posted a bit. During the Mike Guzman fiasco, Mr. Cotton and I got in to it pretty hardcore. Suffice it to say, I do not like the man, pretty sure he doesn't like me, but I do believe that if his membership got on board 100% with open carry, he'd see to it that he pushed it. Until that time, I do not see him expending any energy on it, which is unfortunate. He does like to play the political capital game, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    True.

Mentioning that a person is anti-OC (or that he is running for office in the NRA and that voting for him should be avoided, as Mike did) is useful. Dragging the drama over is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by DKSuddeth View Post
    I used to be a member over there, posted a bit. During the Mike Guzman fiasco, Mr. Cotton and I got in to it pretty hardcore. Suffice it to say, I do not like the man, pretty sure he doesn't like me, but I do believe that if his membership got on board 100% with open carry, he'd see to it that he pushed it. Until that time, I do not see him expending any energy on it, which is unfortunate. He does like to play the political capital game, sadly.
    One of the problems there is that he's said it would take "overwhelming support" for OC by TSRA members to make it an issue. So when asked if he knows how many TSRA members support OC, he doesn't know -- and has stated he will not poll the members. Meanwhile, he plugs his ears against those members (like me) who do advocate legal OC.

The suddenness and urgency with which he started the "Texas Firearms Coalition" seems to be a direct response to someone doing what he suggested: founding the Texas Civil Defense League, an advocacy group not under his control.

One of the problems there is that he's said it would take "overwhelming support" for OC by TSRA members to make it an issue. So when asked if he knows how many TSRA members support OC, he doesn't know -- and has stated he will not poll the members. Meanwhile, he plugs his ears against those members (like me) who do advocate legal OC.

The suddenness and urgency with which he started the "Texas Firearms Coalition" seems to be a direct response to someone doing what he suggested: founding the Texas Civil Defense League, an advocacy group not under his control.
    Actually there are OC polls there. I've seen 2 so far by Mr. Cotton in my brief lurking over there and both were phrased as follows...

"If open carry caused a dramatic increase in 30.06 signs, would you support it?"
    Last edited by pooley; 03-25-2011 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    Actually there are OC polls there. I've seen 2 so far by Mr. Cotton in my brief lurking over there and both were phrased as follows...

"If open carry caused a dramatic increase in 30.06 signs, would you support it?"
    The polls he posted were at texaschlforum.com, not a poll of TSRA members.

On that same forum, he's previously said (paraphrased):
    1. "TSRA will not support open carry unless the membership demands it."
    2. "TSRA members do not support open carry."
    3. "No, there hasn't been a poll of TSRA members about open carry, but I talked with (a select few) members at the annual meeting, and nobody brought up open carry as a priority."
    4. "No, TSRA will not waste member resources on a poll about open carry. If it's important enough to our members, they will let us know." (In response to multiple TSRA members requesting a poll, since the issue wasn't important enough to TSRA.)
    5. "TSRA will not take a position on open carry" (even though Alice Tripp and Cotton have made public and private statements against it.)

As for the "Texas Firearms Coalition", which Chucky said was vitally important to separate TSRA, TexasCHLforum, and Charles Cotton from all other firearms legislative matters in order to pursue broader matters regarding firearms rights, I have to laugh out loud.

Seriously: take a look. What's the latest update on this "vitally important" page? How many members does this "coalition" have? Does it have members? How can I apply to be a member?

Is that anything other than a shill page for the Charles Cotton Committee To Re-Elect Charles Cotton to the NRA Board of Directors?

His claims to support open carry (while opposing OC legislation) are supposedly backed up by a single link to Marion Hammer and the Florida OC movement. Seriously? He nitpicks the hell out of HB 2756, but supports the Florida OC bill?

This is the guy who is the gatekeeper to gun legislation in Texas, and who jealously guards that role. Keep that in mind when casting your ballots for NRA BoD and TSRA.
    Last edited by KBCraig; 03-26-2011 at 06:54 AM.

Regular Member protect our rights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rodbender View Post
    Charles Cotton is an elitist. He thinks that CHL holders are an elite group. I am banned from www.texaschlforum.com because I called him out on something. He was a board member of TSRA and NRA and stated that until the board brought it up to go after open carry as a right, he would not support it. I told him to grow some cojones and bring it up himself and that's when he reported me to the admins and I got banned. Not a big loss for me. He ain't got a lick of common sense anyway. I know this from personal dealings with the guy. He refuses to debate anyone on the subject and simply gets anyone that tries to bring it up in a sensible manner in trouble with the admins. He is now saying that we at OCDO are blaming him and Alice Tripp for the open carry bill not being filed as yet and not being passed last session. He has claimed that I said this. Well, he's also a liar. I've never blamed him or Alice Tripp for this. I have said that they were both openly hostile to it. I have blamed Mike Guzman because he admitted that he did everything he could to keep it from being filed last session. Cotton has no character and will not debate it, just trash it. He has toned it down quite a bit lately and will most likely claim he never did trash open carry, not so.

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=42540
    Texas should have open carry. Texas is openly in opposition of the constitution of the United States by infringing on the rights of Texans!

Joined posted that 2 mins later and now waiting to get banned.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by protect our rights View Post
    Texas should have open carry. Texas is openly in opposition of the constitution of the United States by infringing on the rights of Texans!

You paid $12 to get banned? He ain't gettin' my $12.
    Will Rogers

Did it work? I forget who said it, but I always liked "I wouldn't want to be a member of any organization that would let me join."

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Did it work? I forget who said it, but I always liked "I wouldn't want to be a member of any organization that would let me join."
    I didn't get banned they just locked the thread. So I posted another thread, saying how wonderful it was that the creator of the forum is a constitutionalist imposter. They said my views were radical. So I guess now-a-days believing in the constitution is extreme...
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" - George Washington

I didn't get banned they just locked the thread. So I posted another thread, saying how wonderful it was that the creator of the forum is a constitutionalist imposter. They said my views were radical. So I guess now-a-days believing in the constitution is extreme...
    They said RADICAL not extreme.
    Will Rogers

Well it seems it is harder to get banned then previously mentioned.

TexasCHLforum.com
    "Well, seeings how I sit in a very friendly OC state, I have no obligation to Texans or their rights. As a friend of mine put it (on a site that is hated by moderators here (OCDO)) The best way to protect rights is to protect the rights of others. I never siad the politician had to be OC friendly, just 2nd amendment friendly. Legal battles are being fought all over the country right now that are in favor of gun owners. Now is the time to press on our legislators and let them know that what they have been doing is great but it is not enough. We can't afford to wait until Obama and his czars mess with the system. OC time and time again has proven to be a deter to criminal activity. Look at statistics on how percentage wise how many CCers have to pull and fire on a criminal compared to OCers. It's just sad today that people go around preaching that they are pro-2nd amendment but then in the same sentence say that OC is wrong. That I find very amusing and heretical."

Still a member.
    Last edited by protect our rights; 03-26-2011 at 08:28 PM.

Yes, this is how you will gain support for OC, by trolling other gun rights groups that do not support OC, good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Yes, this is how you will gain support for OC, by trolling other gun rights groups that do not support OC, good job.
    I'm going to assume you are kidding and not reply to your attack.
    Last edited by protect our rights; 03-28-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    I bet you only speak with pro_OC individuals huh? Yeah you do a lot to move our rights along Only going where it is easy. Sometimes you have to talk to the people who are kinda against your cause, I might have made someone over there question OC or someone that had never even really though of it. Funny how the weak turn on people that are for the same cause, "good job"
    Last edited by protect our rights; 03-28-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast