• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carrying Under 21

bearcreek

Hello everyone, first post here and I have a question. Could someone direct me to something that officially says that someone under 21 can own a handgun? I've started discussions on this issue on several other forums and the opinions vary wildly from no one under 21 can legally even handle a handgun without adult supervision to anyone over 18 can own one, just not buy it. According to the map here on opencarry.org, anyone over 18 can open carry and that has been my understanding for a long time. I'd just like to see some written proof of that.

gmhiggins

ORC 2923.21(A)(2)Subject to division (B) of this section, sell any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age;
ORC 2923.21(A)(3) furnish any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age, except for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes, including, but not limited to, instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship under the supervision or control of a responsible adult;

ORC 2923.21(B) Divisions (A)(1) and (2) of this section do not apply to the sale or furnishing of a handgun to a person eighteen years of age or older and under twenty-one years of age if the person eighteen years of age or older and under twenty-one years of age is a law enforcement officer who is properly appointed or employed as a law enforcement officer and has received firearms training approved by the Ohio peace officer training council or equivalent firearms training.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923

bearcreek

ORC 2923.21(A)(2)Subject to division (B) of this section, sell any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age;
ORC 2923.21(A)(3) furnish any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age, except for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes, including, but not limited to, instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship under the supervision or control of a responsible adult;

ORC 2923.21(B) Divisions (A)(1) and (2) of this section do not apply to the sale or furnishing of a handgun to a person eighteen years of age or older and under twenty-one years of age if the person eighteen years of age or older and under twenty-one years of age is a law enforcement officer who is properly appointed or employed as a law enforcement officer and has received firearms training approved by the Ohio peace officer training council or equivalent firearms training.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923

The portion underlined above is where most of the debate centers. It would seem to indicate that it is legal for a 18-20 year old to own a handgun as long as it is only used for lawful hunting, sporting or educational purposes. This does not seem to include use for self defense and so would eliminate open carry between 18-20. If that's the case, the information on this site needs to be changed. I'd like to think I'm wrong but that's how it seems to read.

Last edited:

gmhiggins

Exactly, bearcreek. I would not test this. OC gets enough attention to the point of obviously over 21 year olds being detained, arrested or threatened for openly carrying. You do not want to risk a felony and lose ALL of your rights.

bearcreek

Just to clarify, i'm well over 21, so this is not an issue for myself. I was mainly asking about the legality of an 18-20 year old owning a handgun, not necessarily carrying it.

gmhiggins

Just to clarify, i'm well over 21, so this is not an issue for myself. I was mainly asking about the legality of an 18-20 year old owning a handgun, not necessarily carrying it.

Ah, got mixed up with another thread, I guess. It looks pretty clear to me the conditions in with a 18-20 year old can own a handgun, but I am not a lawyer.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Hello everyone, first post here and I have a question. Could someone direct me to something that officially says that someone under 21 can own a handgun? I've started discussions on this issue on several other forums and the opinions vary wildly from no one under 21 can legally even handle a handgun without adult supervision to anyone over 18 can own one, just not buy it. According to the map here on opencarry.org, anyone over 18 can open carry and that has been my understanding for a long time. I'd just like to see some written proof of that.

There is no law in Ohio banning 18-20 year olds from owning or borrowing handguns and open carrying them in public.

The fact that a person violates Ohio law by furnishing an 18-20 year old a handgun does not make it illegal for the 18-20 year old to receive the handgun or carry it.

Many people move to Ohio when they are 18-20 years old from other states - this is the easiest way to think of how 18-20 year olds in Ohio would be in possession of, and open carry, handguns in Ohio.

bearcreek

Well, interesting commentary so far. I still am not really any closer to having my original belief confirmed or denied. The above quote simply states that a person cannot sell a handgun to a person under 21, which is already federal law anyway. It says nothing about an 18-20 year old owning a handgun acquired as a gift, inheritance, etc. Based on what I've read and heard so far from many different sources, I will continue to assume that it is legal and I will continue to advise any 18-20 year old handgun owners I come across to be very careful with their firearms, especially during transport. Thanks for the comments!

bearcreek

Thanks for the correction about the federal legal age limit on private transfers. I remembered that after I read your post. What does the part in ORC 2923.21(A)(3) that says " including, but not limited to" mean then? If legal furnishing of a handgun to a 18-20 yr. old is "not limited to" "instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship under the supervision or control of a responsible adult", then, in theory, there is another circumstance under which the handgun can be furnished to the 18-20 year old. If that is not what the, "including, but not limited to" phrase means, then what does it mean?