• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

illinois reciprocity bill introduced

lockman

State Researcher

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
So let me get this straight, IL residents would be content letting non-residents discreetly carry a firearm in Illinois, even though IL residents are strictly forbidden from exercising that same right?

Let me know how that works out for ya, k?

lockman

State Researcher
So let me get this straight, IL residents would be content letting non-residents discreetly carry a firearm in Illinois, even though IL residents are strictly forbidden from exercising that same right?

I won't trample others rights just because my state tramples mine. I think if that scenario were to play out it would be a massive equal protection issue. If it were to happen and they did not remedy the situation, a cross border primary residence in WI would be contemplated.

junglebob

It would work out fine for me. Anyone with a LTC from any state can carry. I have a Utah and Pa non-resident LTC, I'd be happy with it going that. I'd be one of the "anyones" carrying.

michigan0626

This would be great for Illinois. They could easily get a permit from another state, and through this bill, they can carry in their state. I may be legally wrong, but thats my interpretation. And once people from from IL can carry due to this reciprocity, they will ask for their own carry licences, which should be an easier since they are already carrying under a different states licence.

I know this isnt Constitutional Carry, and some complain that it isnt enough right away. But this is the most restrictive state, and will definately need to take baby steps.

Hopefully one day Chicago will realise "More Guns, Less Crime." The irony in the book I just mentioned is that the author used to be a professor at the University of Chicago. Go figure.

Anubis

Hopefully one day Chicago will realise "More Guns, Less Crime." The irony in the book I just mentioned is that the author used to be a professor at the University of Chicago. Go figure.

In that book, Lott wrote that prior to beginning his research, he had never owned a gun and was in favor of gun control, expecting to find a correlation between gun availability and crime. The more he learned in research, the more his view shifted away from gun control advocacy. He realized that logic was on our side, and proved it in his books.

There is also a reciprocity bill in the House of Representatives now, I think it's 822, that would mandate that a CC license from any state be valid in all 50 states. It may become unrecognizable due to amendments, or never pass, but that's its current form.

Last edited:

mrjam2jab

Last edited:

Prophet

My question is why is it assigned to the Agriculture and Conservation Committee? If none of the D's line up with the Amendment does it die right there in a fallow field? (see what i did there...field, agriculture)

mrjam2jab

Page 7 lines 6 & 7...

(6)Any person who has a valid permit or license to carry a handgun issued by any state.

I must be reading something different...the link in the first post is one page and the lines are not numbered...

My question is why is it assigned to the Agriculture and Conservation Committee? If none of the D's line up with the Amendment does it die right there in a fallow field? (see what i did there...field, agriculture)

Not unprecedented....FL permits are issued by Dept of Agriculture.

devildoc5

What a few people seem to be failing to realize is that it states " anyone who has a valid license issued by any state". Doesn't say you have to be a resident of that state.

I'll veterans can get a florida ccw for 117$ plus dd214. I'll non vets can take a class and get non resident utah (prices vary depending on course fee)

This bill is for 100% reciprocity, does not exclude anyone, and as such would be a "backup plan" for illinois residents.

While not ideal and not perfect it would be a step in the right direction...

Mr H

I may need to start another thread on this, but a question...

I am a Maryland resident.
Wife is a landowner in IL.
I have a CCW from Utah.

How does this bill affect me, and does FOID trump any of this??

Thanks!!

devildoc5

I may need to start another thread on this, but a question...

I am a Maryland resident.
Wife is a landowner in IL.
I have a CCW from Utah.

How does this bill affect me, and does FOID trump any of this??

Thanks!!

The way this bill is written it would ammend the code to allow anyone who has a valid license issued by another state to carry on that license. Illinois residents would still be recquired to obtain a foid but "visitors" would be able to carry on their license from another state.

Also this bill does not specify that it applies to only non-residents so illinois residents could get licenses from other states (utah and florida being popular and easy to obtain).

Mr H

The way this bill is written it would ammend the code to allow anyone who has a valid license issued by another state to carry on that license. Illinois residents would still be recquired to obtain a foid but "visitors" would be able to carry on their license from another state.

Also this bill does not specify that it applies to only non-residents so illinois residents could get licenses from other states (utah and florida being popular and easy to obtain).

Here's hoping...

Much appreciated!

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
This is Awesome!!!!

I almost gave up hope on my home state IL of one day being able to visit my family armed. However, I have some questions:

1) Since IL is not a Pre-Emp state, will the proposed bill keep me from having to know what all the gun laws are in each city and county?!?
2) What will the proposed bill do about 1000' school zones?!?
3) Will Chicago still be off limits?!?

Believe me when I say, I want this bill to pass on many levels because I hate driving all the way to Chicago to see my family unarmed!!! Thanks in advance for any clarification anyone can provide!!