Thread: Looking for advice

Looking for advice

I am planning on getting a non-resident ccw from North Dakota and I am under 21. If I had this permit would I be allowed to carry concealed in Oklahoma? I know a lot of states require their own permit holders to be 21 but allow 18 year olds who have permits in other states carry concealed. I would appreciate your help.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

"Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must be carried fully concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state."
    I'm assuming based on this I would be able to carry.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    That does appear to be so and I am frankly surprised. Would have thought that the prevailing 21 year age for an Oklahoma permit would have been the standard, but that does not seem to be the case.
    http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal...state-laws.php

Now the question is what is a Class 2 license - the only one available for 18 to 21 yo.

Note that for Non-Resident License all testing must be completed within the state of North Dakota.
    http://www.ag.state.nd.us/bci/cw/Age.htm
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    That does appear to be so and I am frankly surprised. Would have thought that the prevailing 21 year age for an Oklahoma permit would have been the standard, but that does not seem to be the case.
    http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal...state-laws.php

Now the question is what is a Class 2 license - the only one available for 18 to 21 yo.

Note that for Non-Resident License all testing must be completed within the state of North Dakota.
    http://www.ag.state.nd.us/bci/cw/Age.htm
    I know what a class 2 license is based on their definition. It is pretty much a permit for those under 21 who want to carry. They have less reciprocity but are still able to carry in about 20 different states. And I do know that. I am doing a summer internship about 45 minutes away from Fargo, ND (internship is in Minnesota) so doing everything in North Dakota won't be a problem for me.

Interesting situation.

Your home state is Michigan, you're interning in Minnesota, wanting to get a non-resident license from North Dakota and than asking if the permit is valid in Oklahoma on one thread and in North Carolina on another - why?

Are you compiling a study, do you plan on traveling to these states?

Most states will require one to be 21 years old to carry concealed within their borders. In a great number of states, one can OC at 18 years of age.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Interesting situation.

Your home state is Michigan, you're interning in Minnesota, wanting to get a non-resident license from North Dakota and than asking if the permit is valid in Oklahoma on one thread and in North Carolina on another - why?

Are you compiling a study, do you plan on traveling to these states?

Most states will require one to be 21 years old to carry concealed within their borders. In a great number of states, one can OC at 18 years of age.
    Haha I know it really is. Those are the only two states that had questionable reciprocity with the ND permit I plan on getting. I don't really plan on traveling to Oklahoma but I have family in North Carolina so I may go out to visit them and I would just like to know if I could legally carry there or not. I do open carry in Michigan because I am not old enough to get a Michigan CPL.
    Last edited by xmanhockey7; 02-25-2011 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    Haha I know it really is. Those are the only two states that had questionable reciprocity with the ND permit I plan on getting. I don't really plan on traveling to Oklahoma but I have family in North Carolina so I may go out to visit them and I would just like to know if I could legally carry there or not. I do open carry in Michigan because I am not old enough to get a Michigan CPL.
    Ok I'll buy that.

Do your research well on NC if you do end up visiting there. While they do have preemption it is NOT total and is full of fish hooks. Cary doesn't honor OC, Chapel Hill has a barrel length, and don't think they will honor a permit for anyone under 21. Can of worms IMHO.

I'll take the guess work out of this

and call the OSBI (the licensing agency) later today and get clarification on this for you.

Quote Originally Posted by hrdware View Post
    and call the OSBI (the licensing agency) later today and get clarification on this for you.
    Ok thank you. I'm very much assuming that Oklahoma would allow it due to what the law I posted on here says.

License is good

Heard back from the legal division of OSBI today and you are correct. As long as the license is valid in the issuing state, Oklahoma will honor it.