Thread: Looking for advice

Looking for advice

I am planning on getting a non-resident ccw from North Dakota and I am under 21. If I had this permit would I be allowed to carry concealed in North Carolina? I know a lot of states require their own permit holders to be 21 but allow 18 year olds who have permits in other states carry concealed. I would appreciate your help.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

You probably would not be allowed. If you look at ND's reciprocity list (http://www.ag.state.nd.us/bci/cw/reciprocity.htm) you'll see that NC places restrictions on the ND CWP. As you will be getting a non-resident, class 2 CWP from ND, I'd imagine the restriction is based on one of those two things, most likely the "class 2" part.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    You probably would not be allowed. If you look at ND's reciprocity list (http://www.ag.state.nd.us/bci/cw/reciprocity.htm) you'll see that NC places restrictions on the ND CWP. As you will be getting a non-resident, class 2 CWP from ND, I'd imagine the restriction is based on one of those two things, most likely the "class 2" part.
    Well does NC only allow the carry of pistols? The restriction may be that ND permit holders can only carry pistols and not necessarily the class 2 part but I'm not sure.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.

I would reccommend contacting the NC AG or other appropriate contact. IIRC, the link I provided specifies that you should contact the appropriate NC official for clarification on reciprocity. What I said was simply a guess, and worth exactly what you paid for it.
    And the Sultans...

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Thank you for the help.

No problem. I hope it works out for you, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    And the Sultans...

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member