• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in a Meijer?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
So, you can carry concealed in Meijer's as long as you have a CPL? as well as OC, I'm confused..

If you have a CPL you can CC or OC in Meijers. If you do not have a CPL you can not possess a firearm in/on their property-store. Unless you have permission from the property owner/agent.

22-250

Ok, Thanks, I sometimes carry a NAA mini mag in a holster in my right front pocket, I have the big rubber grips on it so the grips stick out but the rest of the gun is in the pocket. Half and half so I would think it could be considered CC or OC if it showed outside my jacket. Is there any description as to what is concealed or open in regards to the law?

Venator

Ok, Thanks, I sometimes carry a NAA mini mag in a holster in my right front pocket, I have the big rubber grips on it so the grips stick out but the rest of the gun is in the pocket. Half and half so I would think it could be considered CC or OC if it showed outside my jacket. Is there any description as to what is concealed or open in regards to the law?

Not really, but if you didn't have a CPL my guess is that the way you described your carry you w/could be charged with CCW.

MOC doesn't recommend an IWB holster UNLESS you have a CPL.

The case law is that the gun doesn't have to be totally concealed to be in violation. There have been convictions of people that carried Mexican style....just tucked into a waistband with no holster.

So generally if the holster is outside the waist and is in full view (not partially cover by a shirt/jacket) you would be okay.

Golden Eagle

Your saying I would be Ok for OC, I do have a CPL so I should be fine no matter what.

Wow you've been a member for a year and you just now ask this basic question??? the OP had 4 post his first day but you have 346???

Please

Stop asking VERY basic questions that are answered in the sticky threads and GO READ THE STICKY THREADS....then read them again, and again.

Do your research first. Members of Michigan Open Carry and Open Carry Dot Org have made it very easy if you if you just ready the stickies.

Welcome to OCDO hope to meet you at one of the many gatherings we have.

What dougwg said.

Last edited:

Sheldon

The statute says primary source of income and does not state 51%.
Also there are two statutes involved. If you do not have a CPL you can not possess a firearm in ANY place the has any type of liquor license (unless you have permission).

You can carry concealed or open in any place that has a liquor license, but a bar, where you can carry but only OC.

Actually I believe it was MGO in conjunction with the MI AG that came up the 51% rule so WRT the law that is the official number. While in the real world it has never been an issue..... In MI we are actually lucky, some states such as AZ only recently have allowed CC or OC in restaurants booze or not...... Now if I can just get Snyder to leave my pension alone......

Last edited:

Venator

Actually I believe it was MGO in conjunction with the MI AG that came up the 51% rule so WRT the law that is the official number. While in the real world it has never been an issue..... In MI we are actually lucky, some states such as AZ only recently have allowed CC or OC in restaurants booze or not...... Now if I can just get Snyder to leave my pension alone......

Actually there is no language that contains 51% in the statute. As stated it says primary source....

A primary source could be less than 51%

(d) A bar or tavern licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass and consumed on the premises. This subdivision shall not apply to an owner or employee of the business. The Michigan liquor control commission shall develop and make available to holders of licenses under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, an appropriate sign stating that “This establishment prohibits patrons from carrying concealed weapons”. The owner or operator of an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, may, but shall not be required to, post the sign developed under this subdivision. A record made available by an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58,

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Is there any way to block posts from folks with anger management issues?:cuss:

Whoops, now I'm going to get reamed for not checking the FAQs......:p

Golden Eagle

Is there any way to block posts from folks with anger management issues?:cuss:

Whoops, now I'm going to get reamed for not checking the FAQs......:p

Sorry guess I did use three question marks twice... was that bad?

I don't have anger management issues
icon8.png
... don't make me challenge you to a duel I've done it before.
(well not a duel but the challenge) :p

Oh welcome SIGKzoo.
smile.png

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Sorry guess I did use three question marks twice... was that bad?

I don't have anger management issues
icon8.png
... don't make me challenge you to a duel I've done it before.
(well not a duel but the challenge) :p

Oh welcome SIGKzoo.
smile.png

Just yanking your chain, sorry. There's just a little too much vitriol in this thread toward folks asking questions that, yes, could be answered in the stickies, but they asked anyway. It doesn't help the cause if we get short with some of the newer folks (like me), and they go away. They may even cause issues for MOC, even if they're not members, because the antis consider anyone who OCs as a 'member' of MOC / OCDO.

I think the issue in Lansing at the library is one of those where a non-member created enough of a stir to get a TRO slapped on MOC. I don't want to start a debate abound LGOC (against the rules) or the best way to bring the cause forward; its just a good example.

We need to remember that everything we write on these forums will be used against us as a group. Our individual posts will also be used against us in any criminal / civil trial, gauranteed. I just recently sat through a trial of two young gentlemen who were members of a street gang, charged with robbery, brandishing, conspiracy, etc.

Their Facebook pages & pictures were used against them to a great degree in establishing the conspiracy charges. Even some flip comments one listed in his profile (Occupation>Money) made it in evidence. Photos of them flashing gang signs didn't help their case, any.

Now imagine a zealous prosecutor and an activist judge with an issue with the 2A were presented with a case of an OCer who used his/her weapon in self defense. All their posts here that were a little edgy could be used to establish that someone had a predisposition to break the law, or was prone to anger, etc. When a post is taken out of context, and presented in court, theres little chance to put it into context without getting on the stand, which is a dangerous position even for an innocent defendant.

Again, I apologize, it was kind of a cheap shot, but I hope you get my drift....

Venator

I think the issue in Lansing at the library is one of those where a non-member created enough of a stir to get a TRO slapped on MOC. I don't want to start a debate abound LGOC (against the rules) or the best way to bring the cause forward; its just a good example.

Please Please Please...the TRO WAS NOT filed because of the shotgun OC. It was filed when the LPD stopped coming to calls about lawful OC (handguns) from the library SG. The library lost their henchmen so they were left with only a TRO as a weapon.

Only 3 peopled OC handguns after the shotgun event, with two of the guys at the final OC event when the police stopped coming. Between the shotgun event and the TRO MOC staff attended library Board meetings, had discussions with the County, the City and the LPD in an attempt to get the library to comply with state law.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Please Please Please...the TRO WAS NOT filed because of the shotgun OC. It was filed when the LPD stopped coming to calls about lawful OC (handguns) from the library SG. The library lost their henchmen so they were left with only a TRO as a weapon.

Only 3 peopled OC handguns after the shotgun event, with two of the guys at the final OC event when the police stopped coming. Between the shotgun event and the TRO MOC staff attended library Board meetings, had discussions with the County, the City and the LPD in an attempt to get the library to comply with state law.

In my reading, it seemed that that action was a major contributor to their overall knee jerk reaction. It may not have been THE cause, but it sensitized them to the issue of OC in general, contributing to the TRO. It also gave a lot of bad press, right or wrong. My point is, one person's mis-step can result in significant backlash- so, lets keep answering newbies' questions with grace & dignity.

As far as the TRO, I hope someone asks the library 'why don't you call the police?' I'd love to hear them have to say 'The police won't resond because its not illegal'.:banana:

TheQ

* Me on Jan. 3(?)
* Rob and Scott - night of city council
* Lapeer20m - the next Sunday
* lilfreak - the next day after lapeer
* lilfreak - the day he got hauled out by LPD.

I count at least 5 different people after the shotgun carry ;)