• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Heads up Cabarrus County

rblood

My wife had an interesting interaction with the Sheriffs office this morning. She went down to get a pistol purchase permit so she could pick up her P22 plinker. Based on our past experiance with them, expected it to be quick and expected to walk out with the permit. But, to her suprise they took her info and informed her it would be 30 days, and they would call when she could come back. Even seemed to question why she wanted it... Just a few months back this same process took me 20 min and I walked out with 4 permits.

I really wish NC would address this purchase permit issue. Am I correct in assuming that a Federal background check done by a FFL holder would accomplish the same end, without requiring us to get a "permit" to access our Constitutional rights?

Anyone else notice that Cabarrus County is throwing up road-blocks (or at least delay tactics) like this?

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

I think the background check for the purchase permits are a little more thorough than the NICS check for rifles. I've come to the conclusion that NC still has purchase permits so that counties can make $5 a pop off residents.

That's another problems with these crappy permits. Each county has different rules and different waiting times. In Wake county, they are ready a week from the day you apply. In Pitt county, they are ready the next day afternoon. Craven county will hand out permits within 10 minutes, even at the gun shows.

It doesn't take more than 10 minutes to run the check, some larger counties get a lot more traffic, so that might be why they require longer wait times.

sultan62

I think the background check for the purchase permits are a little more thorough than the NICS check for rifles. I've come to the conclusion that NC still has purchase permits so that counties can make $5 a pop off residents.
That's another problems with these crappy permits. Each county has different rules and different waiting times. In Wake county, they are ready a week from the day you apply. In Pitt county, they are ready the next day afternoon. Craven county will hand out permits within 10 minutes, even at the gun shows.

It doesn't take more than 10 minutes to run the check, some larger counties get a lot more traffic, so that might be why they require longer wait times.

No doubt, otherwise why would they charge $5 per additional sheet of paper and ink?

Johnston County is ~5 days.

rblood

Frustrating thing is, is seems like the time it takes depends on which person happens to be at the desk at the time. Same office, two months ago, I had my permits in 20 min.

Yep, just a hidden "tax"...

edrolee

Frustrating thing is, is seems like the time it takes depends on which person happens to be at the desk at the time. Same office, two months ago, I had my permits in 20 min.

Yep, just a hidden "tax"...

has your county had a change in sheriff? since the rules are made by each sheriff's office if you get a new sheriff in a county then he may well change the rules

has anyone gotten a permit in Pitt Co since Elks took office, has the process changed from before (ie last summer you when in filled out a 2 sided legal size form and turned it in, no references needed, and game back after 2pm the next day with $5 each)

edrolee

permits are 5$ each and take about a day, CHP, at least around greenville, run about $190 and take up to 4 months (aprox. $100 for the class and $90 for the permit, a month toi get into a calss and 90days for the permit to process)

and while i agree that having a CHP would be nice/convent, in the east where OC is much more accepted that extra $185 can buy a good bit of ammo or a better firearm

Gunslinger

My wife had an interesting interaction with the Sheriffs office this morning. She went down to get a pistol purchase permit so she could pick up her P22 plinker. Based on our past experiance with them, expected it to be quick and expected to walk out with the permit. But, to her suprise they took her info and informed her it would be 30 days, and they would call when she could come back. Even seemed to question why she wanted it... Just a few months back this same process took me 20 min and I walked out with 4 permits.

I really wish NC would address this purchase permit issue. Am I correct in assuming that a Federal background check done by a FFL holder would accomplish the same end, without requiring us to get a "permit" to access our Constitutional rights?

Anyone else notice that Cabarrus County is throwing up road-blocks (or at least delay tactics) like this?

I've never heard of that kind of delay in NC to get a permit to buy a pistol. As to why she wanted it, she wants it is all they need to know, for lawful purposes. Sounds like she was talking to a halfwit--which in NC wouldn't shock me. A FFL NICS check is more thorough than anything Barney Fiffe would do in a hick county. I'd call the sheriff and ask why the delay in having your state constitutional rights respected.

M

mattwestm

permits are 5$ each and take about a day, CHP, at least around greenville, run about $190 and take up to 4 months (aprox. $100 for the class and $90 for the permit, a month toi get into a calss and 90days for the permit to process)

and while i agree that having a CHP would be nice/convent, in the east where OC is much more accepted that extra $185 can buy a good bit of ammo or a better firearm

Exactly why I don't have my CHP. I'm a student, so I can only carry when I'm not working or on campus. I just OC the rest of the time. I also plan on moving to another state in about a year and I don't want to waste the time and money on an NC CHP. I might get my UT or FL permit this summer, which will be valid in other states.

Oh, and with Neil Elks, the process is the same.

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

I also wanted to add another negative to the pistol purchase permits. The sheriff knows how many pistols you own. They don't know the model or serial, but they do know the number of permits that you requested. Kind of sucks...

Coniferous

I also wanted to add another negative to the pistol purchase permits. The sheriff knows how many pistols you own. They don't know the model or serial, but they do know the number of permits that you requested. Kind of sucks...

Yep, de-facto registration. They'd pull this data if they ever had to go to your home...

To the OP - you could call the sherriff out on this. Call or show up and ask him what's up with the inconsistency. They may not like it, but as a citizen you have the right to ask.