• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I am boycotting Dance's Sporting Goods

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
I am boycotting Dance's Sporting Goods for being anti-second amendment. For the most part the guys that work there seem pretty decent, but there is one guy that seems to run the show who is not on our side.

The guy I am talking about is a "firearms instructor."

A long time ago I overheard this guy tell a potential customer that it was illegal to open-carry in Arlington and Richmond. I had to intervene cause gun-counter B.S. is my pet peeve. Something about firearms brings out the bozos that swear they know-it-all about use-of-force and everything guns and ammo related.

Yesterday I stopped by to see what they had and I saw a paper sign that was covered by a CZ rifle. The sign said something about you have to be 21 to buy an "assault" rifle. I asked the clerk "What's an assault rifle?" He said that was a good question and that maybe they could call it a black rifle. I told him that with a sign like that they are feeding into the anti's propaganda. He didn't disagree.

When I was wrapping up my purchase I offered to re-word their sign and mail it to them. I was definitely being tongue-and-cheek. The know-it-all guy started some incoherent ramble about military assault weapons and how they are made to kill someone and I said I bet the rifles you sell kill more paper than men, market it as a sporter rifle. He wasn't picking up what I was putting down. He was not having a participatory conversation. He was talking at me and not listening. I made it a point to tell him that by using the term "assault" rifle he is buying into the anti's hype. He then proceeds to tell me that civilians had no purpose with a military rifle. I am serious.

My overall impression was that this guy routinely passes his B.S. off as fact that he doesn't know how to handle matching wits with someone that is somewhat informed and passionate about the subject.

To be fair about his overall demeanor I think it is important to point out that he was very nice to my daughter and complimented her.

Last edited:

curtiswr

I like gun shops where they tend to keep their mouths shut. One employee at Green Top wanted to argue with me about open carry and why I was doing it if I had a CHP. I canceled my sale and walked out.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
I like gun shops where they tend to keep their mouths shut. One employee at Green Top wanted to argue with me about open carry and why I was doing it if I had a CHP. I canceled my sale and walked out.

I had a guy at Greentop scold me for telling him that I was going to open carry my newly bought Delta Elite on lobby day. I was like dude, you need to know about lobby day.

curtiswr

DeGoff's hasn't said anything to me about OC. They don't say much at all, to be honest. I'm quiet too, though. And if you add them on Facebook they'll run promos from time to time like 5% off a new gun or 10% off a used gun if you comment on that particular status update and show it to them.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
DeGoff's hasn't said anything to me about OC. They don't say much at all, to be honest. I'm quiet too, though. And if you add them on Facebook they'll run promos from time to time like 5% off a new gun or 10% off a used gun if you comment on that particular status update and show it to them.

I never had much love for Dances anyway.
DeGoff's is odd. They seem to be the place to go now but when Rodney was alive, I wouldn't set foot in there. Cranky opinionated old bastard.

MKEgal

There's actually a legal definition somewhere for "assault rifle". Covers a handful of safety & cosmetic changes. If someone in a gun store didn't know at least that much, what are they doing working there (doing anything other than sweeping up brass & taking out trash)?? I'd actually expect a gun shop employee to know several (if not all) of the features included in the definition.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
Sadly, not everyone who carries the title of "firearms instructor" knows the things that they should know.

Tell me about it! There's a guy that offers training around Richmond. He calls it "Proactive Shooters." He's a yankee from Jersey. No good rascal! Just ask Wylde.

hometheaterman

Never been to Dance's, but I've been to lots of other gun shops in VA, and I can honestly say that the only one I've really been very happy with was Town Police Supply in Richmond. The rest I've had issues with for one reason or another be it them trying to price gouge me, them being flat out rude, them doing horrible work on guns, or them telling me blatant lies and insisting I don't know what I'm talking about. Sometimes it's been all of the above. I just can't say I've found a lot of good gun shops. I have a few that are horrible and I won't deal with, and a few that are tolerable, and I will sometimes deal with them if they have what I want at a decent price.

Town Police Supply on the other hand, the time I've dealt with them had good prices, a great friendly staff, and they seemed to know what they were doing.

This all being said there are a ton of shops in VA I haven't been to, so I hope that there are more good ones out there I've just not found yet.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Never been to Dance's, but I've been to lots of other gun shops in VA, and I can honestly say that the only one I've really been very happy with was Town Police Supply in Richmond. The rest I've had issues with for one reason or another be it them trying to price gouge me, them being flat out rude, them doing horrible work on guns, or them telling me blatant lies and insisting I don't know what I'm talking about. Sometimes it's been all of the above. I just can't say I've found a lot of good gun shops. I have a few that are horrible and I won't deal with, and a few that are tolerable, and I will sometimes deal with them if they have what I want at a decent price.

Town Police Supply on the other hand, the time I've dealt with them had good prices, a great friendly staff, and they seemed to know what they were doing.

This all being said there are a ton of shops in VA I haven't been to, so I hope that there are more good ones out there I've just not found yet.

Town Police is one of the best shops in Richmond and most gun folks don't even know about them. I send alot of people there.

curtiswr

Town Police is one of the best shops in Richmond and most gun folks don't even know about them. I send alot of people there.

I think when I first heard about them they were LEO only, or at least I believed they were. A while ago, however, they started advertising specials on VAguntrader. I've been meaning to check them out because they are a GSSF dealer. But that means I gotta join GSSF and save up some more $$ first. :D

mpg9999

Agreed. I've purchased three guns from them on three separate occasions, and all of the transactions went well. They are an authorized LEO dealer for Glock. A lot of places claim to offer a glock LEO/Military discount. Glock sets these prices, and Town Police is one of the only dealers I've seen in VA that has them at the true LEO/Military price. Hard to beat a Glock for 400 bucks.