• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Huff Post - Colorado Gun Bill Clears Committee With Bipartisan Support

JamesB

What is even more astonishing is this one:

"With the help of a female model packing heat, the bill that could allow Coloradans to conceal their handguns without permit on private K-12 school grounds and across most other areas of Colorado passed out of a House committee Thursday with bipartisan support." (empahsis added)

Taken from:
http://coloradoindependent.com/7655...private-schools-says-house-judicial-committee

This bill will NOT allow K-12 carry. That is not allowed not nor will it be if it passes. With or without a permit this is a Felony. This bill does Not change that at all.

JamesB

Ummm, I don't think so.
C.R.S.
"18-12-105.5. Unlawfully carrying a weapon - school, college, or university grounds.

(1) A person commits a class 6 felony if such person knowingly and unlawfully and without legal authority carries, brings, or has in such person's possession a deadly weapon as defined in section 18-1-901 (3) (e) in or on the real estate and all improvements erected thereon of any public or private elementary, middle, junior high, high, or vocational school..." (emphasis added)

To reitterate:
This bill will NOT allow K-12 carry. That is not allowed not nor will it be if it passes. With or without a permit this is a Felony. This bill does Not change that at all.

Last edited:

Dynamite Rabbit

18-12-105 only applies to open carry. 18-12-205 specifies that concealed carry is prohibited in *public* schools. Therefore, it's not prohibited in private schools. I didn't specify concealed carry -- I assume we're all clear that you can't open carry. Sorry for the confusion.

Kingfish

From HB11-1205
SECTION 2. 18-12-105.5 (3) (h), Colorado Revised Statutes, is
24 amended, and the said 18-12-105.5 (3) is further amended BY THE
25 ADDITION OF A NEW PARAGRAPH, to read:
OR
8 (i) THE PERSON MAY LEGALLY POSSESS A HANDGUN UNDER THE
9 LAWS OF THIS STATE AND OF THE UNITED STATES AND THE WEAPON
10 INVOLVED IN THE INCIDENT WAS A HANDGUN. THE AUTHORITY TO CARRY
11 A CONCEALED HANDGUN PURSUANT TO THE PROVISIONS OF THIS
12 PARAGRAPH (i) IS EQUAL IN ALL RESPECTS TO THE AUTHORITY GRANTED
13 BY A PERMIT TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN AS SPECIFIED IN SECTION
14 18-12-214. A PERSON WHO CARRIES A CONCEALED HANDGUN PURSUANT
15 TO THE PROVISIONS OF THIS PARAGRAPH (i) HAS THE SAME RIGHTS AND IS
16 SUBJECT TO THE SAME LIMITATIONS SPECIFIED IN SECTION 18-12-214 AS
17 APPLY TO A PERSON WHO HOLDS A PERMIT TO CARRY A CONCEALED
18 HANDGUN

Now...
18-12-214

(3) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun onto the real property, or into any improvements erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school; except that:

So, looks like HB11-1205 does in fact remove PRIVATE schools from the places off limits.

Dynamite Rabbit

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but concealed carry is NOT prohibited in a private school now. It sounds to me like the new bill only ensures that the limited restrictions in the current concealed carry statute apply to constitutional carry.

JamesB

OMG, after rereading and rereading, and rereading...
I apologize. This would allow concealed carry on private K-12.

I was going to make the arguement that the bill only changes 105 and 105.5 not 214. Therefore without a permit you still could not, but with a permit you could. (one more reason to actually go through the process)

But the change that it makes to 105 and 105.5 makes it as if one actually had a permit. Therefore yes, I agree carry on private K-12 would be allowed.

bogidu

Thoughts on this subject

These kinds of people amaze me. They just don't seem to comprehend that there are people walking around with concealed firearms ANYWAY. I know, it's head in sand behavior, I mean if there's a law then everyone must be following it, right?? It's sure be nicer if us law-abiding citizens weren't getting tapped for the extra $150 and being put on the "WATCH LIST".

And please tell me that the police assoc didn't just flat out say they LIKE having a list of firearms owners?

--
"Claire Levy, a Democrat from Boulder who objected to the bill, was quoted by the Colorado Independent as arguing that "[HB 1205] says that if you can open carry you can conceal carry as if the two were equivalent, and I don't think they are. I think it is a dangerous situation when people are walking around with concealed weapons and nobody knows who they are."

The Colorado Association of Police Chiefs also opposed the bill, calling the rules as the stand now a useful crime-fighting tool."

bcbrown2

Corrections...

We should contact the HuffPo or the author directly to inform him or her of the errors in the article...

I say "him/her" as I'm about to go read the article. I normally steer clear of that garbage.

77zach

That demonstration with the woman taking the coat on and off was effective, it sounded like. The same demonstration should be done in the Senate as well. It should be done in every open carry state when a liberty minded legislator introduces constitutional carry.