• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whats the difference between "shall issue" and "will issue"

LOERetired

Whats the difference between "shall issue" and "will issue" for concealed carry. This is a great Unpublished Papers written by Robert J. Endorf Jr, who is he, don't know, but this paper is quite long and a useful tool in determining what sort of criteria states use (or don't use) in their issuing of CCW permits.

http://works.bepress.com/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1000&context=robert_endorf

Don

Last edited:

SIGdude

I was always under the impression the two terms were interchangeable.

No Issue (us and Illinois)
May Issue (commie states)
Shall/Will Issue (normal states)
Permitless Carry (lucky states)

Then again, I did not read the article, perhaps he makes some distinction between the two in it that I am unaware of.

xmanhockey7

Whats the difference between "shall issue" and "will issue" for concealed carry. This is a great Unpublished Papers written by Robert J. Endorf Jr, who is he, don't know, but this paper is quite long but, a useful tool in determining what sort of criteria states use (or don't use) in their issuing of CCW permits.

Don

I've never heard of "will issue", I assume I'd be the same as shall issue.

protias

I was always under the impression the two terms were interchangeable.

No Issue (us and Illinois)
May Issue (commie states)
Shall/Will Issue (normal states)
Permitless Carry (lucky states)

Then again, I did not read the article, perhaps he makes some distinction between the two in it that I am unaware of.
VT doesn't issue carry permits either. IL issues a FOID. I'm not sure why the NRA choose those terms.

phred

Whats the difference between "shall issue" and "will issue" for concealed carry. This is a great Unpublished Papers written by Robert J. Endorf Jr, who is he, don't know, but this paper is quite long but, a useful tool in determining what sort of criteria states use (or don't use) in their issuing of CCW permits.

Don

I dumped the document into Word and did a "find next" function for "will issue" and "shall issue"to see where they were used. It seems as though "shall issue" is the what the concept is, and "will issue" is what the discretionary power "will" do, i.e., they will issue the permit. That and along with the true meanings (shall is used as an auxiliary to express a command , and will is used used as an auxiliary to express desire or willingness) I believe "will" is more polite than "shall". Shall is more forceful than will, but both accomplish the same end.
JMO, but backed up as usual

TyGuy

No no no no no. You don't get to throw your hat in with us in IL. We can't carry at all. You have permitless OC. I hope that you get permitless carry (OC or CCW), but we have permitted NOTHING (FOID card).

LOERetired

We don't want a "shall issue" or "will issue" law we want constitutional carry

We don't want a "shall issue" or "will issue" law we want constitutional carry. But, as long as its on the table along with constitutional carry, then why not be as knowledgeable as you can in knowing the differences.

Shall issue (which is prefered over may issue) basically says that the state will issue you a permit if you meet a set of standards. The state can choose their own standards, and there are several differences in the degree of the standards between states–but if you meet their criteria you can get a permit.

May Issue gives the choice of whether or not a permit is issued to some part of the local government. This may be the Sheriff or some other agency within the state, county, or city government. So this person or group basically listens to why you THINK you need a permit and then they can say yes or no. You can never be sure that you’ll be able to get a permit in one of these states. It largely depends on your personal cirumstances and the mood or judgement of the government.

Don

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Apparently, from the article, the difference between "shall" and "will" issue is the precise wording in the authorizing legislation. Unfortunately, he does not ID the one state that uses the phrase "will" issue, as opposed to all the rest who use the phrase "shall" issue.

No wonder I'm sometimes accused of being anti-semantic.

stay safe.

littlewolf