• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CT Legal AR-15

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

So, I'm in the market for a CT legal AR-15 or equivalent. Currently, I own a FNAR 7.62x51mm (as well as some bolt action rifles) which I love, but all are pretty heavy with the exception of my Remington Alaskan 7mm hunting rifle. I don't know a heck of a lot outside of my GoogleFu research about the AR-15 platform, besides firing a few different brands a handful of times. One of those that I fired was an AR-15 which was converted to .50 Beowulf (this rifle was extremely amusing, I have to admit). I think I'll stick with .223 for now.

What do my fellow CT residents recommend in the AR-15 platform under $1,000.00? Stag Arms seems to make sense as they are located here. I haven't seen a lot of their rifles in the shops around where I live though, which is weird. How about the Kel-tec SU16 line (even though they are technically not a true AR-15). I'm looking for something that I could possibly use for "fun" at the range when friends come to visit as well as double as a general homestead defense rifle. The rifle doesn't have to be capable of 1 MOA and below, but it does have to have the ability to be fairly accurate at 100 yards w/ telescopic sight (I'll be happy if I can get 2-3" groups with it). What do you guys recommend? Thank you!

Last edited:

danr71

Try Hoffman Guns in Newington, they have special going on now S&W M&P 15 ORC with 4 mags $699.95.

KennyB

Lots of GREAT deals right now on AR's. Go to just to just about any gun shop, and they'll have a ton in stock. The market is absolutely flooded right now. Stag is a great AR for the price, and made in CT to boot!!! Just make sure you get one with a detachable handle if mounting a good scope is in your future. Hope this helps.

Recon Marine

AR 15 Connecticut Shinani"guns"

If it says "colt" on it it's illegal to have (if not a preban), But any other brand is OK...That is so F"in stupid......You can have an SKS & put a 30 round clip in it But cant have a AK-47, whats the diffrence..7.62x39 (basically same gun)....... How about a glock with a 30 round clip in a Plastic housing, (with a Tax stamp) but not a mac-11.......Enough Said... I would look for a pre ban, this way you can deck it out without limitation's>>>I did pick up one of those 699.00 S&W from Hoffmans to cheap to pass up!

KIX

Building mine now.

Though, I'm not a big fan of Hoffman's..... a Smith & Wesson M&P stripped lower for $99. is hard to beat!

Jonathan

AGust82

Build one!
I did my first last year. You can pick and choose your parts to make sure you get a real reliable gun. Some full gun manufacturers may skimp on certain parts to cut costs and you'd never know it. The process gives you a very intimate relationship with it's parts and workings. There's an unbelievable amount of support on the web and it's probably easier than you think. I don't have my receipts in front of me but I'd estimate I spent about $700 on a gun that would sell in a store for double that. It shoots 2-3" groups at 100 yds with iron sights. With a scope, on a sandbag, it will do better than that at 200 yds.

AGust82

P1030357.jpg

KIX

Really nice.

I've learned a lot more since I started the project. I've done a lot of work on guns - pistols. some work on shotguns, but never a rifle.

Just maneuvering CT laws is absolutely INSANE!!!!

Jonathan

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

Build one!
I did my first last year. You can pick and choose your parts to make sure you get a real reliable gun. Some full gun manufacturers may skimp on certain parts to cut costs and you'd never know it. The process gives you a very intimate relationship with it's parts and workings. There's an unbelievable amount of support on the web and it's probably easier than you think. I don't have my receipts in front of me but I'd estimate I spent about $700 on a gun that would sell in a store for double that. It shoots 2-3" groups at 100 yds with iron sights. With a scope, on a sandbag, it will do better than that at 200 yds.

Thanks for the good advice. I think I will look into building my own (although I'm sure I will drive myself crazy doing so - I can see myself nitpicking over every single part). I'll post pictures once the rifle is built (I'm guessing this will take a while).

Last edited:

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

Nice rifle! I think I do prefer the A2 stock over a collapsible "tactical" stock (as it would have to be pinned anyway). It seems the A2 gives me a good cheek weld and is pretty comfortable. In the interest of weight however, what is the difference between the two? Is a tactical stock much lighter than the A2? I'll have to Google some weight differences I guess...

Last edited:

KIX

Sgt. K,

Go on youtube and look up AR MPR on Youtube. It's a series of videos put out by Gavin at ammosmith.com.

His series is EXCELLENT. Each video builds on the next and he spends some time going over tools and such in the beginning.

GREAT series, helped me tremendously.

Just mix that knowledge with our goofy laws, and......... we should be fine!

Jonathan

AGust82

That A2 stock weighs almost nothing. It's made of a hard foam-like plastic, coated in polymer. And hollowed of course. Model 1. You can find them online around $60.

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

Sgt. K,

Go on youtube and look up AR MPR on Youtube. It's a series of videos put out by Gavin at ammosmith.com.

His series is EXCELLENT. Each video builds on the next and he spends some time going over tools and such in the beginning.

GREAT series, helped me tremendously.

Just mix that knowledge with our goofy laws, and......... we should be fine!

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I'll check out the vids. There are so many options for parts, I have to admit my mind is blown (in a good way, I love building things). This definitely needs some further research in regards to pluses & minuses of each particular manufacturer of uppers/lowers/other parts.

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

That A2 stock weighs almost nothing. It's made of a hard foam-like plastic, coated in polymer. And hollowed of course. Model 1. You can find them online around $60.

Thanks! I have shot rifles that had both A2 and collapsible stocks but I didn't really pay attention to the weight difference while holding them. I think I will end up going with the A2 as it is light as you mentioned.

MHemmann

I had both the A2 stock and a pinned collapsable stock. i kept the pinned stock as i was able to adjust it to what was comfertable and then pin it there. the only major conserns when building an AR is a threaded barrel / muzzle brake. best bet is not to get that. it's a 5.56 / 223 round theres not much kick without one so why deal with the hassle of it. and if there is a boynet lug with the barrel you should take a grinder to it and get rid of it then repaint the area, or have a gun smith you trust do this for you. if you have any questions regaurding this ar15.com has a newengland forum under hometown and there is a lot of good information regaurding building your own AR15 with CT laws in mind...just like this is the best source for open carry, ar15.com is the best source for building your ar15. good luck and remember to Carry on!

Last edited:

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

I had both the A2 stock and a pinned collapsable stock. i kept the pinned stock as i was able to adjust it to what was comfertable and then pin it there. the only major conserns when building an AR is a threaded barrel / muzzle brake. best bet is not to get that. it's a 5.56 / 223 round theres not much kick without one so why deal with the hassle of it. and if there is a boynet lug with the barrel you should take a grinder to it and get rid of it then repaint the area, or have a gun smith you trust do this for you. if you have any questions regaurding this ar15.com has a newengland forum under hometown and there is a lot of good information regaurding building your own AR15 with CT laws in mind...just like this is the best source for open carry, ar15.com is the best source for building your ar15. good luck and remember to Carry on!

Thanks for the info on the website (I was looking for a local group of AR-15 gurus to ask questions with).

As for the muzzle brake, I've never been a fan and have no use for one personally (other people's mileage may vary of course). A flash suppressor would be nice though for night shoots, if it were legal in combination with the other items limited by CT. Stupid laws...

MHemmann

they are a good group there and will answer any question you have regaurding your AR build. also they can help you get the best deal on what parts to buy and what is the best set up for your application / use for the rifle. if you want a flash hider on the it you could look for a pre-ban lower which allows the use of them and a collapsible stock without being pinned. allthough it will cost you about 500-700 just for the lower. for that price it's not worth it for me. let me know how it comes out.

KIX

I agree with AR15.com - lot of good info in the New England section. That is where I started all my study of all the goofy CT laws.

Jonathan

500 Magnum Nut

I recommend you find a pre ban lower then build any configuration AR15 you want. All the evil features you could imagine screwed to that gun would be totally legal.

Get a silencer while your add it too.:D