Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VCDL Membership Info??

Question VCDL Membership Info??

I sent my membership in a couple months back, and have noticed that the payment had finally processed.

Is there a packet I should be expecting to receive, and if so, how long before it generally arrives?

If not, then I was surprised not to receive some sort of acknowledgement for supporting the group.

Not a complaint... just wondering.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Mr H; 02-25-2011 at 07:18 PM.

According to the last newsletter, thousands are handled by one woman. Paper apps and checks consume something like 10x more of her time than internet apps. I absolutely refuse to use paypal in any way so I ended up in the same situation you are. I just started getting newsletters and other mail. It took a few months to even get a membership card but does that really matter? Giving cash to an organization that fights for gun rights is the important part.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post
    According to the last newsletter, thousands are handled by one woman. Paper apps and checks consume something like 10x more of her time than internet apps. I absolutely refuse to use paypal in any way so I ended up in the same situation you are. I just started getting newsletters and other mail. It took a few months to even get a membership card but does that really matter? Giving cash to an organization that fights for gun rights is the important part.
    Cool...

I'm right with you, all the way down to no more PayPal.

Just hadn't been aware of any "current history" on all this.

Thanks

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr H View Post
    Is there a packet I should be expecting to receive, and if so, how long before it generally arrives?
    According to the last newsletter, thousands are handled by one woman.
    You can email membership@vcdl.org and make sure you are a member and she will send your membership card.
    If you don't get the email alerts, you can go to vcdl.org and sign up for those yourself FREE right now.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

What happened with PayPal?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xdm guy View Post
    Paypal has always been anti gun, anti freedom, anti American and owned by Ebay which is all of the above and more.

Plus the woman that owns Ebay and Paypal has real ugly legs

Let's see, here's the latest and it's only a couple days old: http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/02/...radley-Manning
    One of many
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Let's see, here's the latest and it's only a couple days old: http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/02/...radley-Manning
    One of many
    As you said, "The latest"!

Horror stories are all over, and I'm amazed VCDL Funds haven't been frozen as have funds for other gun related organizations and companies. Even people who sell muzzle loading parts have been hit by PayPal.

This is a major gripe of mine, not only with VCDL but here also.
    When asked why they use them, the answer is .."It's convenient".

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by xdm guy View Post
    You can still join via PayPal at http://www.vcdl.org/static/signup.html
    Their policy is anti-gun. That said, many people LIKE using PayPal to grow our cause and get our message out. In my earlier days of telecom we used Bell Atlantic (Verizon) lines to offer lower long distance prices than Bell... and we used their own lines to do it. It felt good.

GunPal (https://www.gpal.net) seemed like it might be promising but had big problems with their name and internal operations.

I like https://secure.revolutionmoneyexchan...lic/Login.aspx as it was started by AOL founder Steve Case and he knows how to run an online business, but PayPal is the biggest and most well known and many people have/use it.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

I think the owner of Gunpal was accused of running it as a Ponzi scheme and is under indictment IIRC.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Threadjack just a little bit. The newsletter is only printed 4-5 times per year, so depending on when you join, it could be a while.

That said, I'm the newsletter editor. I'm always desperate for material. If you want to write a thoughtful piece on why you carry (open or concealed), an experience, a book review, a range or equipment review, etc., please feel free. Send copy to newsletter@vcdl.org.

If you're not a good writer, don't worry. Get your ideas down. I'm a good editor!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    If you're not a good writer, don't worry. Get your ideas down. I'm a good editor!
    She said humbly.

The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Founder's Club Member
    $0.02 / The membership processing center was closed from roughly Thanksgiving to Christmas.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by rlh2005 View Post
    $0.02 / The membership processing center was closed from roughly Thanksgiving to Christmas.
    That's understandable. They need that kitchen table for Holiday meals.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    That's understandable. They need that kitchen table for Holiday meals.
    The kitchen table is my gun cleaning area.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Speaking of which...I'd better get at it

I used to do that..... right up to the point that I spilled solvent on the wood stained table. DOH!! lol

Two words for you...

Man Cave

;-))

I don't have my card yet either. Apparrently they sent it to the wrong address (my old one). They mailed the newsletters and all the renewal notices to the correct address however. Kinda weird.

Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar

Question

Threadjack just a little bit. The newsletter is only printed 4-5 times per year, so depending on when you join, it could be a while.
    Uh-oh . . . . . . I think I have recd maybe 1-2 newsletters per year. I don't know anything aout 4-5 per year . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Old Virginia Joe View Post
    Uh-oh . . . . . . I think I have recd maybe 1-2 newsletters per year. I don't know anything aout 4-5 per year . . . . . . .
    Maybe it's less. I've sent them all since I became editor to be put on the VCDL web site; I'll have to check for sure.

Frankly, much as I would like to publish one every other month, or every quarter, I often simply don't have enough material. I can re-publish stuff that comes from the internet or newspapers, but that gets old (to protect VCDL, I get copyright releases on almost everything) and it doesn't do our members a service when they get only recycled information.

I'm working on one now, with as much legislative info as I can get in to it, and as much other stuff as I can get/find. Hope to have it out soon.

Originally Posted by Tess

Maybe it's less. I've sent them all since I became editor to be put on the VCDL web site; I'll have to check for sure.

Frankly, much as I would like to publish one every other month, or every quarter, I often simply don't have enough material. I can re-publish stuff that comes from the internet or newspapers, but that gets old (to protect VCDL, I get copyright releases on almost everything) and it doesn't do our members a service when they get only recycled information.

I'm working on one now, with as much legislative info as I can get in to it, and as much other stuff as I can get/find. Hope to have it out soon.
    Tess, there's enough posted here to get at least one issue bi-monthly.

Craig,s cleanup comes to mind. Have you published anything about Skidmark's trials and tribulations?

Greentops rewriting their policy.

Granted, you may not want to cover VCDL's somewhat ....gentle....handling of the Fairfax PD, but at least part of it.

There is a lot written that can be cut and paste and all you need is a release from John, which I'm sure he'd give.

Not every article has to be Man Bites Dog, Dog shoots Man.
    Last edited by peter nap; 03-09-2011 at 10:51 AM.

Craig,s cleanup comes to mind. Have you published anything about Skidmark's trials and tribulations?

Granted, you may not want to cover VCDL's somewhat ....gentle....handling of the Fairfax PD, but at least part of it.

There is a lot written that can be cut and paste and all you need is a release from John, which I'm sure he'd give.

True, Peter, but there's also overkill.

There are some, but really not that many, VCDL members who don't have internet access. When I cut and paste from here or any other forum, I've always figured I'm reiterating things our members have probably already seen. That may be a bad assumption on my part. I do try to balance stuff from the internet with stuff I get from members via e-mail, with letters to the editor (since not all of our members get even the big papers), etc.

I'd like to do a semi-regular column about stupid gun owners. Ooops. May I say that here? Things like the guys who shoot themselves because they're carrying concealed, in a pocket, with no holster, and drinking to boot. I'd like to be able to point out that we gun owners don't automatically defend a gun owner; if he's doing something stupid, we should point out he did something stupid. The problem with many of these ideas is that we don't get the whole story, and I simply don't have time to research all the things I'd like to write about.

What's a greentops?

What's a greentops?
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ing-open-carry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast