Thread: Public Libraries

Public Libraries

Can county libraries ban openly carried weapons from their property? I have some time off and was planning on doing some studying at the Kenton County library. I noticed they have a no weapons policy in their "rules". Is this legal or has anyone noticed a posting?

Activist Member
    that is illegal. We had the same problem with the boyd co. public library, now the policy states no weapons unless authorized by state law. You can contact the judge exec. in the county and whoever is in charge of your county library and inform them of krs 65.870 and state law concerning openly carried weapons being allowed in every state, county, and city building.

I live in Owensboro. Since our new public library is like 150 ft from a high school I doubt you can carry in our public library.

Open Carry of a Loaded Firearm within a 1000 Feet of a School is LEGAL under Kentucky Law.
    Kentucky will NOT Enforce Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(q).

The Federal Government WILL Enforce 18 U.S.C. 922(q), BUT a Concealed Deadly Weapons Permit Renders such Charge as Void, in Accordance with Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(q)(2)(B)(ii).

Kentucky Law ONLY Applies to The Actual Real Estate of such School, or The School Property itself, under Kentucky Revised Statute 527.070.

Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    Open Carry of a Loaded Firearm within a 1000 Feet of a School is LEGAL under Kentucky Law.
    Kentucky will NOT Enforce Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(q).

The Federal Government WILL Enforce 18 U.S.C. 922(q), BUT a Concealed Deadly Weapons Permit Renders such Charge as Void, in Accordance with Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(q)(2)(B)(ii).

Kentucky Law ONLY Applies to The Actual Real Estate of such School, or The School Property itself, under Kentucky Revised Statute 527.070.
    Thanks for that info. I was unaware of that.

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I'll let you know if they give me any issues over it.
    Last edited by trooper46; 02-26-2011 at 09:16 PM.

Whew, too far for me to drive, or i'd do it. For some reason I have this twisted sense of pleasure educating "them" when they ask for it.

I've got a friend in the Floyd County Public Library, I'll have to inquiry of him about their policies pertaining to this issue.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE