• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Public Libraries

trooper46

Can county libraries ban openly carried weapons from their property? I have some time off and was planning on doing some studying at the Kenton County library. I noticed they have a no weapons policy in their "rules". Is this legal or has anyone noticed a posting?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
that is illegal. We had the same problem with the boyd co. public library, now the policy states no weapons unless authorized by state law. You can contact the judge exec. in the county and whoever is in charge of your county library and inform them of krs 65.870 and state law concerning openly carried weapons being allowed in every state, county, and city building.

aadvark

Open Carry of a Loaded Firearm within a 1000 Feet of a School is LEGAL under Kentucky Law.
Kentucky will NOT Enforce Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(q).

The Federal Government WILL Enforce 18 U.S.C. 922(q), BUT a Concealed Deadly Weapons Permit Renders such Charge as Void, in Accordance with Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(q)(2)(B)(ii).

Kentucky Law ONLY Applies to The Actual Real Estate of such School, or The School Property itself, under Kentucky Revised Statute 527.070.

KYKevin

Open Carry of a Loaded Firearm within a 1000 Feet of a School is LEGAL under Kentucky Law.
Kentucky will NOT Enforce Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(q).

The Federal Government WILL Enforce 18 U.S.C. 922(q), BUT a Concealed Deadly Weapons Permit Renders such Charge as Void, in Accordance with Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(q)(2)(B)(ii).

Kentucky Law ONLY Applies to The Actual Real Estate of such School, or The School Property itself, under Kentucky Revised Statute 527.070.

Thanks for that info. I was unaware of that.

trooper46

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I'll let you know if they give me any issues over it.

Last edited:

UnfetteredMight

Whew, too far for me to drive, or i'd do it. For some reason I have this twisted sense of pleasure educating "them" when they ask for it.

neuroblades

I've got a friend in the Floyd County Public Library, I'll have to inquiry of him about their policies pertaining to this issue.