• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WXYZ News 7 - Open carry in Fowlerville, MI in the news!

TheQsAidan

TheQ and I were on the news tonight!

The village of Fowlerville repealed its unlawful ban on firearms. From what I understand a local paper was covering it, and Channel 7 (WXYZ out of Detroit) decided to pick up the story.

I don't know how long it's going to stay in the spot, but as of 12:19am on 2/26, the video of our interview is the 2nd from the top at http://www.wxyz.com/subindex/video#.

The reporter and cameraman both were very nice and quite supportive of what we were doing. This was a lot of fun. Good pizza, too. Danny's in Fowlerville. We spoke to the owner afterward to thank him for allowing us to do the interview in his place. Very nice guy.

1245A Defender

Yea!,,,

thanx for the link,
i tried to look it up, but failed,
ive written to Q, and we talked on team speak before,
but its fun to put a face on the personality,
youre cutter than him, and it nice to see another lefty, carrying cross draw!
it was a positive and informative interview,
nice of the town to ALLOW you to exercise your Rights:banghead:

TheQ

[video=youtube;quUXnko3F_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quUXnko3F_M[/video]

I did give her an MOC Tri-fold while we were there. The Interview was over-all positive. They PFZ information at the end wasn't all complete (they forgot the CPL PFZ Exemption for OC).

Danny's Pizza in Fowlerville was great. I brought up the possibility of having an gathering of 10 or 20 gun toters in his resturant at one time for a friendly dinner. To that, the owner said they would greatly appreciate the business. The pizza buffet was good and the price was very reasonable at $5 + change for a dinner buffet.

quarter horseman

Great job!

That was a great interview by all three sides news channel, the Q and wife and the other customers. The word is getting out and more people are getting comfortable with guns in public, pat on the back to all of us that OC.

This also should be put in the (OC in the news) on the OC forum. If someone knows how to do that, I dont, I'm not computer savy. Carry on!

Last edited:

Haman J.T.

The 6pm news,channel 7 WXYZ,only mentioned that Fowlerville would now allow OC.It was a short mention,leaving out any mention of OC being legal since 90's preemption law.There were no interviews in that segment,just quick spin.

Haman J.T.

Thank You Phil and Ann! This was one of the clearest news reports I've seen here on a Detroit news show.I missed the 11pm show and feel better knowing we were covered better than on the 6pm show!Imagine,OCers being well spoken and normal!Who would think!Hope to see you soon!

Haman J.T.

fantastic. one of the best unbiased pieces i've seen in a long time. do you think channel 7 tried really hard to find someone anti-gun and just couldn't?
They did manage to get the 6th grader saying she was scared in the spot as opposed to an anti adult blathering about "the children",OH MY!

TheQsAidan

They did manage to get the 6th grader saying she was scared in the spot as opposed to an anti adult blathering about "the children",OH MY!

I think she managed to talk to everyone in the place. I know that she had one lady on camera who said, "I'm not against what they're doing, I just don't like guns, " and she didn't use that soundbyte. We were at that restaurant for about an hour and a half. In our interview we did touch on a lot of things, and we made sure to point out that Fowlerville was coming into compliance with a well-established state law, but I guess she only had so much time. With the amount of material they shot, the story could easily have tripled in length.

Anne

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
damned good clip, was impressed they couldn't find an anti to scream into the camera about how scared they were.

Fowlerville is a nice farming community with a generally pro-gun population. They also have a new chief that understands the law. Their last chief was the guns drawn face on the ground kinda guy.

The new chief is from Meridian Township and was a Lt. and asst. chief there before the move. Meridian PD was the only Chief that got back to me when I sent out PD info packets on OC about 3 years ago. Meridian Twp is east of East Lansing.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Well done you two, such a cute couple and no "strings" attached. :lol:

The piece was fairly positive, the reporter talked with a variety of people and did a decent job.

Haman J.T.

I think she managed to talk to everyone in the place. I know that she had one lady on camera who said, "I'm not against what they're doing, I just don't like guns, " and she didn't use that soundbyte. We were at that restaurant for about an hour and a half. In our interview we did touch on a lot of things, and we made sure to point out that Fowlerville was coming into compliance with a well-established state law, but I guess she only had so much time. With the amount of material they shot, the story could easily have tripled in length.

Anne
Leaving the "I don't like guns" lady out is an actual miracle! I believe in miracles!

TheQ

It was a great news clip right up to the point were they misled the public about the legality of carring a gun in a "gun free zone".

1. They only have 2 minutes to explain the story. Try to explain MI gun laws in 2 minutes. I did give them the MOC website where they could refer people to learn more. I wish they would have it in the story.
2. Them and their lawyers don't want to be liable if they misinform and someone gets in legal trouble. We know it's legal and we are convinced of that. People in the media don't and they frankly probably don't have the time to research it. It'd rather they researched it rather than take our word for it.
3. I already said this, but thanks for catching it also and agreeing.

TheQ

I specifically wanted to bring Aidan to avoid the all OCers are white males stereotype. The fact I shave my head also fits in with the (thankfully) dying neo-nazi stereotype.

Her coming along for the interview was a great service to me and to all if 2A.