• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thinking about a new project, advice needed

Which SBR to build

• ATI built MP5 clone w/surefire light and side folding stock

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • FN P90 USG

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Other (Do tell)

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Cake (See results)

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
I've been doing some research on my first SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) and would like your input. Please post why if you have the time. Thanks!

Edit: Assume that ammo and magazine availability are not an issue and cost is the same.

Last edited:

tomm1963

I voted other

A P90 fires a proprietary juiced up pistol ammo if my memory serves. I was looking to buy a P90 (not SBR) and did a bit of research I remember it using very expensive ammo and not re loadable. Technically since it fires pistol ammo it wouldn't be a rifle:) The ATF doesn't care though. If I am going through the hastle of a NFA purchase I think there are better options. A P90 is cool looking though, I have a air-soft one.

Jason in WI

I'm researching my first SBR as well, and my first can! I'm thinking of jumping on the band-wagon and going with the 300 blackout with a 8" or 10" barrel and a 762-SDN-6 suppressor.

I'm building a DPMS style .308 on a MA-Ten receiver set and am setting up a trust to get a can for that build but, I have a Mega billet set that has been sitting for a while that screaming to be SBR'd so I thought I'd build something that will shoot subsonic and use the same can.

I'm actually hesitant to start down the SBR and Suppressor road because everyone tells me it's very addictive.

SIGdude

A P90 fires a proprietary juiced up pistol ammo if my memory serves. I was looking to buy a P90 (not SBR) and did a bit of research I remember it using very expensive ammo and not re loadable. Technically since it fires pistol ammo it wouldn't be a rifle:) The ATF doesn't care though. If I am going through the hastle of a NFA purchase I think there are better options. A P90 is cool looking though, I have a air-soft one.

nah, a P90 fires proprietary rifle ammo that just so happens to be small enough to fire out of their large-framed pistol. You can reload 5.7 ammo fired out of a p90 or a FiveseveN, just not out of the AR-57 upper, it blows the neck out of it.

As for cost, as I recall, 5.7x28 price is actually within reaching distance, and not even as expensive as some of the boutique rounds we have out there today. Some sites online (if you don't mind ordering ammo of the internet) have it priced similarly to .40/.45, with 9mm being only slightly cheaper.

As it stands though, and I agree a p90 would be cool, I wouldn't advise building one, since BATFE strips away the two coolest parts about it: Full auto with a tremendous yet controllable cyclic rate and ss190 rounds. Without the full auto, it loses a lot of the cool factor, and without the military-restricted rounds, you are shooting something slightly stronger than .22magnum. And that is an awful lot of money to spend on something that won't give the bang-for-your-buck I'd imagine you're looking for.

MP5 could be kind of cool, but for the price of building one, you could do a Bushmaster Carbon in 9mm, SBR, and probably still afford a suppressor and tax stamp for that. And that would be all kinds of awesome. Not that the MP5 isn't, it's a solid choice.

I have to agree the krinkov/74u would be a pretty cool project, you don't see that sort of thing floating around a whole lot. Personally, I'm a big fan of SBR SCAR-L, but that isn't so much a "project" as it is "I'm gonna order a barrel and a tax stamp". Maybe that's less work than you had in mind.

Whatever it is, most important thing is for you to have fun with it.

Optimus Prime

A Krink would be sweet, but only because I've always wanted one.

SBRing an AR lower gets you the most bang for your buck though, still can swap out calibers and barrel lengths with a couple pins.

Flash Gordon

A Krink would be sweet, but only because I've always wanted one.

SBRing an AR lower gets you the most bang for your buck though, still can swap out calibers and barrel lengths with a couple pins.

nice MHI patch

I agree on the AR lower. I've got a 10" Rock River AR pistol I keep thinking about registering SBR. if you like the 5.7 round and you can get the AR57 upper and they make one with a 6in barrel that takes the Gemtech suppressor http://www.57center.com/6m8/ar57-upper-assembly.html

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for all the feed back so far guys. I'm stuck on these guns mainly because I already own a suppressor that could be used on either. I'm not an AK guy and just really don't want one again. Plus I'd have to get another suppressor.

Actually I do have access to the ss190 rounds so that's not an issue. They were legal once and I know where to get them :)

I did consider the AR57 upper but it's just too freaking heavy for what I want and you can't sidefold and AR.

FYI, you cannot order a shorter barrel for the SCAR-L. FNH is a lot like HK in the way that they hate the civilian market and don't offer spare parts. Any SBR SCARs you've seen have had the original barrel chopped and threaded and the gas port widened to function. This voids your warrenty and you cannot return it to factory specs.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
I'm researching my first SBR as well, and my first can! I'm thinking of jumping on the band-wagon and going with the 300 blackout with a 8" or 10" barrel and a 762-SDN-6 suppressor.

I'm building a DPMS style .308 on a MA-Ten receiver set and am setting up a trust to get a can for that build but, I have a Mega billet set that has been sitting for a while that screaming to be SBR'd so I thought I'd build something that will shoot subsonic and use the same can.

I'm actually hesitant to start down the SBR and Suppressor road because everyone tells me it's very addictive.

It can be addictive but just pace yourself. I try to limit myself to what I really have to own. Atm I'm sticking to my 9mm and 5.56 cans because they are the most common and will fit on everything. 9mm for pistols, rifles, subbies and 5.56 for ARs, my AUG, and anything 5.7x28. Oh and my 5.56 can will work on a .22lr as well.

While you're looking at cans you should consider Surefire and AWC. Surefire's are quite expensive but they are one of the best. AWC does fantastic work and has been a leader in suppressor tech for a long time. I have a 5.56 Raider from them and it rocks! It is just as quiet as a surefire can.

Be careful with that subsonic ammo, most (if not all) will not cycle your gun.

Zeus

I vote for SIG P556 converted to SBR with folding stock. I think you would be pleased.

Peacekeeper

I voted other

I saw a Sig Sauer 556 pistol with a suppressor and a folding stock making it an SBR. Looked really sharp! Precision Sports, a class III dealer, out of Oshkosh had it on display.