• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC permit versus L.T.C.F.

JJC

We are all holding our breaths, waiting to see what the Legislature will bring forth for us. And sincerely hope and pray for Constitutional Carry. Much discussion has been done on here on the infinite facets of CC. Shall Issue, May Issue, Will Issue. I for one am fearful that a CC permit system will be at the expense of, or an attempt to end Open Carry. If a CC permit system does go into place, i also fear that patterning, or accidental exposure will risk a permit holder's license. For me personally, i have many times stated CC will NOT work for me in the warm months, and at my age, i'm not in the mood to peel cops off of me, or get proned out, when I Open Carry. A CC permit system will not address these concerns. If the powers that be intend to ram a permit system down our throats, i would suggest they make it a flat out: License To Carry Firearms, and leave it to the disgression of the citizen to choose manner in which they carry, and then leave them the hell alone to do so. Your thoughts?

If (I agree we probably will end up with a permit system; until the citizens of wisconsin prove that a Dodge City mentality won't show up) we are forced to have a "permit" system, then the best way is to have a permit that allows us to carry any way we desire.

JJC

tomm1963

Be ready to be stopped every time you OC to provide your permit. City's like Milwaukee and Madison will be on you constantly. Will you be detained at gunpoint and proned until the leo verifies your papers? While I understand your thought, I'm not really sure this is the answer.

Deek

I for wouldn't go for losing OC for the sake of CC. Just from a weather perspective alone I couldn't see risking heat stroke some other thing to exercise my rights. On the L.T.C.F/permit front, I think I have a solution to the problem that could be used to "throw a bone" to the people who insist/prefer that there be some sort of "permit".

It's modeled somewhat on the DMV. DMV- read a book on traffic laws. take a test, pass and get your DL. So, guns-- read a book, or online, or just look up the statues and go to the local PD for your free test and when you pass, you get a card saying that you know your stuff and your 'trustable". No extra infrastructure needed, no extra personnel to add to our deficit, could be voluntary.....

So, if we HAD to have some sort of "permit", could this be workable?. just to get things done?

I'm still all for Constitutional Carry, but if we had to have something to win people over to our side with, would this be something?

Ideas?

JJC

Be ready to be stopped every time you OC to provide your permit. City's like Milwaukee and Madison will be on you constantly. Will you be detained at gunpoint and proned until the leo verifies your papers? While I understand your thought, I'm not really sure this is the answer.

Don't think that's going to happen, not saying it couldn't but, I've OC'ed in Minnesota quite a bit. ( Had a few LEO's look me over but never have I been detained at gunpoint or proned for the LEO to "verify" papers. In fact I've never been asked for papers, in Minnesota or here in Wisconsin. And YES I've been observed by LEO while OCing. Again I'm not saying it won't happen, but let's not spread fear for the sake of spreading fear.

Remember this forum is being monitored by the powers that be, if we keep posting what we won't stand for, IMHO we will have just the opposite shoved at us by the anti's.

JJC

protias

McX, I am surprised you'd bring up that evil "p" word. We don't need any stinking permits!

littlewolf

What would happen if ; in this scenario after you show your ID you demand the officers ID then call the PD and verify he/she is actually a police officer ? May be we should do this now and see how they like being bothered.

Hello Any town PD? I was just stopped and made to show my ID for exercising my constitutional rights by a person who claims to be a police officer. His /her name is ...... badge # ..... Yes he's wearing a uniform, OK but I can get one of those too at the Halloween Store ! OK then they are PD, I'll release them now. Oh and could you please tell them OC is legal in WI

How often would they stop anybody OC'n if that kept up?

safcrkr

Like everybody else, I have no idea what will come out of Madison... but one thing I'm certain of, there will be some sort of CCW in WI before the next election. I do know what was in the last CC law, and IMO, the "worst" case scenario would be a shall-issue law similar to the last one.

The last CC bill did not restrict open carry whatsoever. What it did was make concealed carry legal for those who had permits. A person with a CC permit didn't have to worry about "flashing" or "printing" because carrying an "exposed" firearm was legal without a permit. OTOH, someone practicing OC did have to worry about accidentally covering (concealing) a firearm on their person if they did not have a permit.

Also, if you had a CC permit, an uncased & loaded handgun in a vehicle was legal, making you "exempt" from the current empty/cased in/on a vehicle statute.

HandyHamlet

WTF?????

Why on earth would you even bring up a License to Carry?

What next? Going to the mirror to necromanc Bloody Marry?

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice!

If they ever do get around to addressing CC and go with a permit system I'll opt out.

The fascists want to prone me out for OC? So be it. There's no amount of pain and suffering some sadist in uniform can inflict on me that I haven't already lived through. Can't trample on any more of my rights than I've already had to deal with and pay to defend.

CalicoJack10

what about the fact that states a majority of states only recognize a permit system? I for one am all about constitutional carry, but I think there should also be a voulentary permit system in place to allow people with a permit to carry in other states. I mean I go to Tennessee at least once a year, and with no home state permit, things could be tougher and I would have to pay extra for permits from other states.

So I would go for constitutional carry with an optional permit system.

littlewolf

what about the fact that states a majority of states only recognize a permit system? I for one am all about constitutional carry, but I think there should also be a voulentary permit system in place to allow people with a permit to carry in other states. I mean I go to Tennessee at least once a year, and with no home state permit, things could be tougher and I would have to pay extra for permits from other states.

So I would go for constitutional carry with an optional permit system.[/QUO

If WI goes with constitutional carry, states with permitting should allow CC (automatic reciprocity) with proof of residency. It would be easy and cheap to label ones DL or state ID with a NO FIREARMS tag for those who cannot lawfully possess a firearm.

MKEgal

littlewolf said:
What would happen if after you show your ID you demand the officers ID then call the PD and verify he/she is actually a police officer? Maybe we should do this now and see how they like being bothered.
O.M.G.
I like the way you think.
Not sure I could pull it off with a straight face, but I'd sure like to try.

"There's someone here pretending to be an officer, but since he's breaking the law I know he's not real, so I thought I should call the real police & you can come arrest him for impersonating an officer."

littlewolf

O.M.G.
I like the way you think.
Not sure I could pull it off with a straight face, but I'd sure like to try.

"There's someone here pretending to be an officer, but since he's breaking the law I know he's not real, so I thought I should call the real police & you can come arrest him for impersonating an officer."

Just a little reverse harassment. HEHEHE