• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Minor error on "Unlicensed Traveler's Map"

McGuireV10

The Traveler's Map indicates the Florida rule is "must carry in glovebox."

The actual rule is that it "must be securely encased" which is a significantly less-restrictive definition than the glovebox. I consider the "glovebox" belief to be nearly as bad as the "three step" myth. I've seen others post here about the importance of being nitpicky and getting it right when it comes to the law -- particularly these laws -- and I agree wholeheartedly.

I'm not sure what the SC rule is or whether it might be equally less-specific, being the only other state marked the same way.

travelmap.png

Mike

Site Co-Founder
The Traveler's Map indicates the Florida rule is "must carry in glovebox."

The actual rule is that it "must be securely encased" which is a significantly less-restrictive definition than the glovebox. I consider the "glovebox" belief to be nearly as bad as the "three step" myth. I've seen others post here about the importance of being nitpicky and getting it right when it comes to the law -- particularly these laws -- and I agree wholeheartedly.

I'm not sure what the SC rule is or whether it might be equally less-specific, being the only other state marked the same way.

travelmap.png

Thanks for the analysis - however the "map" is a rough charachterization of state gun laws into common bins for public policy benchmarking and the first look for travelers - the next step is more detailed analysis by the policy maker or traveler - for example, clicking on the state of Florida on our map for car carry gives you this: "
Open Car Carry You may NOT open carry in a car.

A person 18 or older to may possess a concealed firearm in their car, without a license, if the firearm is "securely encased".

"Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access."

A person traveling in Florida without a permit to conceal should do even more research, including possibly consulting a Florida barred lawyer familiar with firearms laws before traveling.

but if you or others have corrections to eash state's carry page summary, John and I would consider it for updating the pages.

McGuireV10

Cool -- Didn't realize they were clickable!

We're always correcting people on that one on our local forum.