• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recording Police Encounters? There's an app for that.

John Hardin

o2ryan

I have installed it and will experiment with it out today. My first attempt to record video was not impressive and I had to force the app closed to exit. We will see. I would definitely test any app like this thoroughly before counting on it in the field.

Bobarino

I have one called simply "Voice Recorder". It very basic. Touch the icon to open it, touch "record", that's it. When you hit stop, it gives you two options; "save" and "save & send". Send it to your email, done and done. Seems to work fairly well and it's free.

o2ryan

This app is garbage

I have played with this app today and I would recomend skiping over it. When the video recording starts, there is now way to stop it until you force close the app. It did not record consistantly and would be really frustrating if you were to attempt to use it during a real encounter.

Bobarino is right. Voice Recorder works much better and is very simple. If you want to record video on your Droid, use the camera app. Don't bother with openwatch.

VW_Factor

I have played with this app today and I would recomend skiping over it. When the video recording starts, there is now way to stop it until you force close the app. It did not record consistantly and would be really frustrating if you were to attempt to use it during a real encounter.

Bobarino is right. Voice Recorder works much better and is very simple. If you want to record video on your Droid, use the camera app. Don't bother with openwatch.

What hardware ya got thar? Some phones react differently to the same apps.

VW_Factor

My phone is a little different than most Android devices. Its an HTC HD2, which started life as a Windows phone. Its been unlocked and now dual boots Windows and Android. I loaded this app up, and it seems to operate normally (as normal as black screen recording is). I did have a bit of trouble getting it to stop recording video though.

John Hardin

The question I have is, does it upload in real time?

If an app records locally and requires interaction to end the recording and upload it, then it's possible for a LEO to wipe the recording or otherwise defeat the upload.

I'd like to see one that uploads in real time in overlapping ten-second chunks. Not quite streaming, but close enough.

XD45ZX10R

Anyone know off an Android app that completely locks the phone (including physical buttons) so that the phone cannot be powered off without removing the battery or knowing the password? Seems like that would be handy to run alongside a recording app.