• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Update on National Reciprocity Bill to amend Title 18,the right to CCW in all states

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
This is the National Reciprocity Bill we have been waiting for. It is the House version of the Thune Amendment. This action is coordinated with Senator Thune.
To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a national standard in accordance with which nonresidents of a State may carry concealed firearms in the State.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

Mr. STEARNS (for himself and Mr. SHULER) introduced the following bill;
which was referred to the Committee on (blank)

A BILL

To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a national standard in accordance with which nonresidents of a State may carry concealed firearms in the State.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the ‘‘National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011’’.

SEC. 2. FINDINGS.
The Congress finds the following:
(1) The Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States protects the fundamental right of an individual to keep and bear arms, including for purposes of individual self-defense.
(2) The Supreme Court of the United States has recognized this right in the case of District of Columbia v. Heller, and in the case of McDonald v. City of Chicago, has recognized that the right is protected against State infringement by the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.
(3) The Congress has the power to pass legislation to protect against infringement of all rights protected under the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.
(4) The right to bear arms includes the right to carry arms for self-defense and the defense of others.
(5) The Congress has enacted legislation of national scope authorizing the carrying of concealed firearms by qualified active and retired law enforcement officers.
(6) Forty-eight States provide by statute for the issuance to individuals of permits to carry concealed firearms, or allow the carrying of concealed
firearms for lawful purposes without the need for a permit.
(7) The overwhelming majority of individuals who exercise the right to carry firearms in their own States and other States have proven to be law-abiding, and such carrying has been demonstrated to provide crime prevention or crime resistance benefits for the licensees and for others.
(8) The Congress finds that preventing the lawful carrying of firearms by individuals who are traveling outside their home State interferes with the constitutional right of interstate travel, and harms interstate commerce.
(9) Among the purposes of this Act is the protection of the rights, privileges, and immunities guaranteed to a citizen of the United States by the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.
(10) The Congress, therefore, should provide for national recognition, in States that issue to their own citizens licenses or permits to carry concealed handguns, of other State permits or licenses to carry concealed handguns.

SEC. 3. RECIPROCITY FOR THE CARRYING OF CERTAIN CONCEALED FIREARMS.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926C the following:
‘‘§ 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms‘‘
(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, related to the carrying or transportation of firearms, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document and a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that—
‘‘(1) has a statute that allows residents of the State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms; or
‘‘(2) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms by residents of the State for lawful purposes.
‘‘(b) A person carrying a concealed handgun under this section shall be permitted to carry a handgun subject to the same conditions or limitations that apply to residents of the State who have permits issued by the State or are otherwise lawfully allowed to do so by the State.
‘‘(c) In a State that allows the issuing authority for licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms to impose restrictions on the carrying of firearms by individual holders of such licenses or permits, a firearm shall be carried according to the same terms authorized by an unrestricted
license or permit issued to a resident of the State.
‘‘(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed to preempt any provision of State law with respect to the issuance of licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms.’’.

(b) CLERICAL AMENDMENT.—The table of sections for such chapter is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926C the following:
‘‘926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms.’’.

(c) SEVERABILITY.—Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, if any provision of this section, or any amendment made by this section, or the application of such provision or amendment to any person or circumstance is held to be unconstitutional, this section and amendments made by this section and the application of such provision or amendment to other persons or circumstances shall not be affected thereby.

(d) EFFECTIVE DATE.—The amendments made by this section shall take effect 90 days after the date of the enactment of this Act.

There are some minor differences between the Senate and House versions right now, mainly having to do with some definitions and terms. The key points are in agreement.
Also, the question of what to do with Vermont: Vermont does not offer permits to their residents. They are Constitutional Carry. There is no answer yet. They are working it.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Thats what should be ....

Well that's good, I do find it funny about Vermont, there "you don't need no stinking permission" !

:) Robin47 :)

Constitutional carry and be it your option to open carry loaded or concealed loaded.....now sacramento has become a "shall issue state " lets see what happens throughout the rest of Kalifornia

OC KIMBER

While I would love to have a CCW I would also like the option to open carry especially in the summer months plus you always have that visual deterrent. If and when this bill does pass and California does become a shall issue state our 2nd amendment rights will be fulfilled and open carry can be banned.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
If and when this bill does pass and California does become a shall issue state our 2nd amendment rights will be fulfilled and open carry can be banned.

While this is possible, I don't think the SCOTUS intends for this to happen. If you read Heller you'll see that there was repeated mentioning of cases where the prohibition of concealed carry was found to be constitutional. I believe there are also cases out there which found such prohibitions to be unconstitutional, but the Heller ruling did not mention any of those. I take this to mean that while states can prohibit (or allow) people to carry concealed, that the court will not allow a state to prohibit open carry. Time will tell if this turns out to be the correct interpretation of the tea leaves.

OC KIMBER

While this is possible, I don't think the SCOTUS intends for this to happen. If you read Heller you'll see that there was repeated mentioning of cases where the prohibition of concealed carry was found to be constitutional. I believe there are also cases out there which found such prohibitions to be unconstitutional, but the Heller ruling did not mention any of those. I take this to mean that while states can prohibit (or allow) people to carry concealed, that the court will not allow a state to prohibit open carry. Time will tell if this turns out to be the correct interpretation of the tea leaves.

Well I sure like your interpretation better then mine, lets keep our fingers crossed

Firemark

(a) IN GENERAL.—Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926C the following:
(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, related to the carrying or transportation of firearms, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document and a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that—
‘‘(1) has a statute that allows residents of the State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms; or
‘‘(2) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms by residents of the State for lawful purposes.
‘‘(b) A person carrying a concealed handgun under this section shall be permitted to carry a handgun subject to the same conditions or limitations that apply to residents of the State who have permits issued by the State or are otherwise lawfully allowed to do so by the State.
‘‘(c) In a State that allows the issuing authority for licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms to impose restrictions on the carrying of firearms by individual holders of such licenses or permits, a firearm shall be carried according to the same terms authorized by an unrestricted
‘‘(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed to preempt any provision of State law with respect to the issuance of licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms.’’.

With the area's highlighted, i just want to get peoples opinion, does this mean if i have a non resident Florida and/or Utah permit but cant get a CA permit but im only a resident of CA does this reciprocity apply to me. it sounds like you have to obtain a permit from your resident state to be eligible to carry everywhere else. Am I reading this wrong or is the wording confusing to others?

caskydiver

Hmm...seems to me like you can carry everywhere except the state you live in. My guess....

Born2Lose

With the area's highlighted, i just want to get peoples opinion, does this mean if i have a non resident Florida and/or Utah permit but cant get a CA permit but im only a resident of CA does this reciprocity apply to me. it sounds like you have to obtain a permit from your resident state to be eligible to carry everywhere else. Am I reading this wrong or is the wording confusing to others?

Man i hope not! I wanted to do exactly what you have described. Ideally I would get the cheapest/easiest non-resident permit i could and use the national reciprocity to allow me to carry here.

The question is at that point IF every person with a non-resident CCW could carry would CA change to "shall issue".

OC KIMBER

I was at the Southbay NRA members council meeting last night and this very subject was brought up. They are on the same track as you are that you will need your resident states CCW for the reciprocity to be in effect. There suggestion was to get the UTAH non resident CCW ASAP because those having this, before the bill gets signed MAYBE grandfathered in.

Born2Lose

My wife and I are taking the Utah/Florida CCW class in San Diego this weekend. It's $125 for first person and $75 for each additional. It's four hours and requires no test or range time. The Utah License fee is only like $65 for five years and $10 to renew for 5 years. I'm not bothering to get the FL since it's over $100 in License fees and over $100 to renew and gets you 3 more states..but if the bill passes it's useless to have more than one (non-resident) CCW.

EDIT: The Utah application is a breath of fresh air. I've given more info on an application for a vons club card. It's 2 pages but only one has blanks and a 1/4 of that is for you to put your credit card info.

Last edited:

Firemark

Yep, received my Florida/Utah permits beginning of January...took the class offered in San Diego.

Id say get those permits and hope the wording is cleared up and changed or a grandfather clause comes about. Either way having CCW permits recognized by 33 other states is all we have until we can get a CA ccw permit(note: I still UOC because I can not legally carry in CA without a CA CCW permit). Maybe in the interim more states will accept reciprocity from Florida/Utah.

I do now take some tongue in cheek joy in answering TRUTHFULLY overzealous LEO questions of

"Do you have a permit for that?" (refering to my UOC rig):mad::mad::mad:

"Why yes officer I have a license to carry Concealed (Utah/Florida) and to carry openly. (2A+ 12031 exemption).:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

here is the link..
CCW UTAH/FLORIDA NON RESIDENT

Robin47

Yep, received my Florida/Utah permits beginning of January...took the class offered in San Diego.

Id say get those permits and hope the wording is cleared up and changed or a grandfather clause comes about. Either way having CCW permits recognized by 33 other states is all we have until we can get a CA ccw permit(note: I still UOC because I can not legally carry in CA without a CA CCW permit). Maybe in the interim more states will accept reciprocity from Florida/Utah.

I do now take some tongue in cheek joy in answering TRUTHFULLY overzealous LEO questions of

"Do you have a permit for that?" (refering to my UOC rig):mad::mad::mad:

"Why yes officer I have a license to carry Concealed (Utah/Florida) and to carry openly. (2A+ 12031 exemption).:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

here is the link..
CCW UTAH/FLORIDA NON RESIDENT

So what your saying is, you can only OC if you have a CCW from Utah ?
Which would give you the right to LOC in California ?

Robin47

Born2Lose

So what your saying is, you can only OC if you have a CCW from Utah ?
Which would give you the right to LOC in California ?

Robin47

Sarcasm?
He is using the officer's non-specific question and answering it with a true statement.
Now if the officer said "do you have a CA CCW permit" he would of course answer "No"
If he would have said "do you have a license to open carry that in CA" He would of course answer "none is necessary"

Robin47

Sarcasm?
He is using the officer's non-specific question and answering it with a true statement.
Now if the officer said "do you have a CA CCW permit" he would of course answer "No"
If he would have said "do you have a license to open carry that in CA" He would of course answer "none is necessary"

So the" Idea" is if you have a CCW from another state, you can LOC in California then and get around the PC12031 e ?

Born2Lose

I'm goint to these guys.
http://www.pdsclasses.com/
They're in East County and they are $125 for first person and $75 for 2nd person.
Includes everything for Utah except a passport photo.
You can make it yourself here:
http://www.epassportphoto.com/
And have it printed at Walgreens for about eleven cents.

They provide the fingerprint card for Florida but they must be taken to a Sheriff station or what not.