• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

first time to OC?

js5439

so i will be turning 18 march 10th and i plan to start to open carry,

first off i just want to make sure its legal to OC a pistol at 18 in CO
and does anyone have any tips or suggestions for me, I'm a little nervous about it.

JamesB

I think the first piece of advice that I shouldn't have to submit is of course...don't do it at school.

Yes, in theory it is legal for you to open carry at the age of 18. In theory it is legal for me to do it at 35, but I still get stopped by police all the time. If you are not comfortable with that level of scrutiny, I would advise against it.

Stay out of Denver.

Do not ask police officers for legal advice, they are almost always the worst source.

Seek the council of a lawyer who is well versed in Colorado firearm law. If you need a number, I can recommend one.

Make sure your motives for your activity coinside with your intent.

That's what I got for now.

js5439

obviously not at school..... lol

if i could get that phone number i would appreciate it,
is there a specific reason to avoid Denver OC
i do work there quite often....

entartet17

is there a specific reason to avoid Denver OC
i do work there quite often....

OC is illegal in Denver. If you're carrying in the suburbs make sure you know exactly where the Denver City/County line is so you don't accidentally carry there.

You cant carry in federal buildings (including post offices), schools, the capitol, any municipally owned property that is posted No Carry or has metal detectors, etc.

Last edited:

ZackL

Also, be sure to train with your sidearm and know techniques. Remember, it's a tool and knowing how to use it properly and when to use it is part of the process of carrying. Train for retention and put a good amount of time in at the range practicing your draw, stop shots (either double tap or whatever else you choose to use to stop your threat), prepare for unwanted attention, some people even get crazy about, even parts of your family may be slow to come around. Read and understand the laws for yourself and, in my opinion, you should carry a backup (pepper spray and/or a defensive blade) so that you have various options besides lethal.

js5439

i do shoot it regularly and i practice drawing my weapon and such everyday.
i will also carry my 21" asp baton
my folks completely support me but my sister will be tough to win over.....
she has a negative outlook towards guns to start with

ZackL

Glad to hear that you've got some support and that you've been training. I've got a few wary family members and friends, my mom came around after we went out shooting one day, she doesn't want to carry or have any desire to own a firearm herself, but she respects and even defends my decision to carry. So I'm sure you've got a chance to turn your sister around. Good luck and hope to see you at one of the meets.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
i do shoot it regularly and i practice drawing my weapon and such everyday.
i will also carry my 21" asp baton
my folks completely support me but my sister will be tough to win over.....
she has a negative outlook towards guns to start with

Honestly, I would advise against carrying a baton. It will probably get you more into trouble than out of it. Your choice though.

As far as open carry, just be confident in the law and act like you know what you're doing and people will pick up on that. If you're nervous, it tends to make people around you nervous. Also, be mindful of how you dress. Give us a good image!

Last edited:

Motofixxer

I will also jump on the educate yourself bandwagon. Knowledge is power, and you need to know as much as possible to avoid, and maybe defend yourself from many angles. For more info Click Here I consolidated a bunch of legal info for WI, that doesn't really apply to you. But there are links to a bunch of very informative videos regarding LEO encounters etc. They are very useful in many situations. There is also audio downloads of the Madison 5, complete with PD radio traffic, the 911 call, and the actual recordings. You can hear some of the info in play.

rushcreek2

Even though open carry is legal in Colorado - most people you will come into contact with are not accustomed to non-LEO's wearing a holstered handgun in public.

At age 18 - legal or not - you are going to receive a different reaction than I do at age 68. I am generally assumed to be a LEO of some sort. I know this because I get a lot of "Sir this - and Sir that", accompanied by A LOT OF SPECIAL ATTENTION - as to "Did you find what you were looking for? Can I help you find something?"

Even though something is legal - it may not be advisable in EVERY SITUTATION.

I do have a CHP - so I have the option of whether to carry openly - or not.

There is a federal law suit pending in Lubbock, Texas challenging the 21 years of age restriction on concealed handgun licenses in Texas. That may or may not provide you with a OC/CC option before you turn 21.

I'll just leave you with this thought - PERCEPTION-PERCEPTION-PERCEPTION.

How will others PERCEIVE YOU ? Looking in the mirror - what is YOUR perception of you with a gun holstered on your belt ? It matters whether you make someone comfortable or uncomfortable with your armed presence. Do you look like a responsible18 year old adult who is a law-abiding citizen engaged in his routine daily commerce?

The perception that you project will determine your "success".

There's plenty of valuable resource info on this Colorado forum. Hopefully you have already checked out the experiences of others.

js5439

i don't plan on carrying 24/7 i just want to get started in gun friendly places and work my way up

i am by no means a dangerous looking person,
i am clean cut no tattoos or piercings
i always wear blue jeans a tee shirt and a hat and boots
just look like every other country boy around here.

Gunslinger

i don't plan on carrying 24/7 i just want to get started in gun friendly places and work my way up

i am by no means a dangerous looking person,
i am clean cut no tattoos or piercings
i always wear blue jeans a tee shirt and a hat and boots
just look like every other country boy around here.

Ft. Collins should be fine. El Paso County even better. As stated, you will get a lot more scrutiny at your age than I and other geezers do, but be polite and stand up for your right to carry if confronted. It is not RAS for a cop to stop you for OC, but he could based on your age. Keep that in mind. If he thinks you look 16, he can ask for ID showing you're legal. And property owners can ask you leave. Don't argue, it is their right. Good luck and be safe. My advice re the baton: lose it. It will get you into more trouble than OCing a pistol.

ZackL

Not to hijack the thread, but why do people say not to carry other options? I personally have at least a knife on me when I carry, about 70% of the time I have pepper spray on me as well. I'm not saying I'm right, I just like the idea of having options as I view a situation as an escalation of events that each may require a different reaction and having as many options as possible is a good thing IMO. I don't know, just something I thought was a good idea, but I'm not saying I'm right and I'm always open to new ideas.

Gunslinger

An OC'd pistol and a baton on someone his age would not give a good impression. Why does he need the baton if he's carrying a gun? Must be looking for trouble. Pocket knives, like CC'd pistols, don't draw out incorrect assumptions because they're out of sight, out of mind. Concealed baton is unlawful, I believe, in Colorado--even with a CCW. Carrying openly--see above. I would say the same for a Taser or large bottle of CS with a gun.

PS I often carry a pocket knife, as well.

Last edited:

rushcreek2

Fortunately - I'm only accountable for MY OWN STYLE of carry.

Even at 68 , I am blessed in that I can still handle myself pretty good, but my reaction time and some balance issues realistically preclude any serious response option other than my Sure-fire & Glock.

I usually wear Haggar type slacks, a polo shirt, grip-sole loafers, and a sport coat/jacket if the weather dictates. Being a "senior citizen" is an asset when open carrying because I don't fit the profile of a criminal threat.

I'm a lousy ambassador for open carry because most folks think I'm a detective or retired LEO. I have yet to have a discussion with anyone over my OC in Colorado Springs.

If folks think I'm LE - so be it. I still count as one more armed law-abiding citizen out there.

That's my style. Everyone has to determine what there own style is.

js5439

that's a real good point about the baton, i am doubtful that i will carry it anyway my belt only has so much room.

i carry a leatherman on my belt and i have a pocket knife as well everyday so those always are on me, but i don't see them as a weapon

btw constitutional carry passed the house 40:25 WHOOT!
let keep it moving forward

ZackL

I was just curious because I see a lot of people who advocate against carrying additional options. I can see the point about 18 and OC a baton - especially with a gun - but, I guess beings I would think nothing of it I didn't think it'd be a big deal for anyone else. However, looking at it from a "sheep's" point of view... I get it now. Basically, pocket carry items are like CC firearms, out of sight out of mind, but it sets people more at ease for someone like JS (or even me) who may not look quite as professional or wise...

js5439

well yall i turned 18 today and i had my first day of carrying a firearm
it was a little odd feeling at first but after 5 minutes of nobody noticing it felt natural
overall it was a great day and i will be carrying from now on, when i can....