• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

first time to OC?

Kingfish

i'm still a little weary about going into really crowded places but i'm trying to ease myself into it
If I were limited to OC only, I would avoid "really crowded" places as much as possible. Switching to cross draw appendix carry would be my choice in "really crowded" places.

js5439

yeah i will try that cross draw
tomorrow i am going to an auction where there will be around 4,000 people
not sure if i will carry or not

js5439

well today i went to the gas station and i don' think anyone even noticed,
until.......
i had pulled out and was starting to drive down the road when 2 cop cars were hauling ass towards the gas station and pulled in
i think the guy in the car next to me must have seen my gun and called the cops :lol:

mahkagari

well today i went to the gas station and i don' think anyone even noticed,
until.......
i had pulled out and was starting to drive down the road when 2 cop cars were hauling ass towards the gas station and pulled in
i think the guy in the car next to me must have seen my gun and called the cops :lol:

That they didn't pursue is a win for you. That hopefully they educated the citizen would be a win for the rest of us. That the person was ignorantly freaking out isn't a win for anyone.

JamesB

I get a lot of that. So many times I walk out of the bank to find two cop cars in the parking lot. Perhaps they just found a parking lot to do paperwork, but it is a little unnerving tohe coincidence.
Mostly I call it paranoia.

Suprised I didn't get a whole swat team this weekend. Went into a convienience store to warm up for a min after bike ride. (open carry + warm ski mask = really strange looks)

Gunslinger

I get a lot of that. So many times I walk out of the bank to find two cop cars in the parking lot. Perhaps they just found a parking lot to do paperwork, but it is a little unnerving tohe coincidence.
Mostly I call it paranoia.

Suprised I didn't get a whole swat team this weekend. Went into a convienience store to warm up for a min after bike ride. (open carry + warm ski mask = really strange looks)

I don't believe it is a crime to wear a mask in CO, as it is in many states, but I would reconsider doing so when OCing and inside a convenience store. And it is lawful for a cop to order you to remove it. If you were armed, I would expect the cop to not be nice about it, either. In that case, I could see justification on his part. Just not a good idea.

JamesB

Agreed.
I was very consious of the appearance of what I was doing. I made sure to take the mask off as I was walking in and then put it back on only as I was leaving. Still made for some really funny looks.
But police were not called, everyone went home ok. A good day and a great bike ride.

And if the man pointing a gun at you tells you to take off the mask, just do it. You can argue the legal ramafications of the actions after he puts the gun away.

Gunslinger

Agreed.
I was very consious of the appearance of what I was doing. I made sure to take the mask off as I was walking in and then put it back on only as I was leaving. Still made for some really funny looks.
But police were not called, everyone went home ok. A good day and a great bike ride.

And if the man pointing a gun at you tells you to take off the mask, just do it. You can argue the legal ramafications of the actions after he puts the gun away.

The cops should wear masks when on traffic patrol. After all, they're nothing but highway robbers.

I suggested once in Traffic Court that they replace the statue of Blind Justice with a cash register. Amazingly, I still won the case.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I suggested once in Traffic Court that they replace the statue of Blind Justice with a cash register. Amazingly, I still won the case.

You ae VERY lucky. Not the way most court cases go.

Chuckle, though I've been there in the backwood's courtcase. I presentend an unequivicable wall of evidence that the backwoods driver drumming up falsified speeding tickicks was blowing his rookie training, and integrity, totally out to lunch, and I not only beat that ticket, but that lying-ass-cop resigned from the force.

I'm sorry, but my oath was of a totally different accord.

Yes, I'm a Christian, so the ultimate foundation of my existance is the Bible, at least as it's normally interpreted, and not anormally interpreted.

In the meantime, let's get back down to business. What's next?

Gunslinger

True, but I have 5 wins in 7 cases. The two I lost were when I was a kid. Minor speeding, but a teenager is always guilty in traffic court. Lost one other, but was fined $1, no court costs, and the judge handed me the dollar! I call that a draw...:>

JamesB

True, but I have 5 wins in 7 cases. The two I lost were when I was a kid. Minor speeding, but a teenager is always guilty in traffic court. Lost one other, but was fined $1, no court costs, and the judge handed me the dollar! I call that a draw...:>

I gotta call BULL**** on that one.

If it's true, that was a WIN.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't believe it is a crime to wear a mask in CO, as it is in many states, but I would reconsider doing so when OCing and inside a convenience store. And it is lawful for a cop to order you to remove it. If you were armed, I would expect the cop to not be nice about it, either. In that case, I could see justification on his part. Just not a good idea.

In Va. it is against the law for an adult to wear a mask in public with certain exceptions.
http://law.justia.com/codes/virginia/2006/toc1802000/18.2-422.html

since9

Campaign Veteran

I gotta call BULL**** on that one.

Knowing Gunslinger, as well as a few backwoods lawyers, I can't say this is BS in the least. Sounds to me more like a good clean kid, well-presented in court, first offense, minor at that, and it was the judge's way, of saying, "stay out of trouble." I know a local judge who takes a similar approach, not itching to throw every first offender behind bars, but hopefully keeping a first-offender on the right side of the law with a mix of compassion, common-sense, and butt-whooping if they do it again.

Most judges aren't "hanging judges." It's just that most of the ones we hear about in the news fall to one extreme or the other. That's why it's news. You'll never hear about "traffic stop, doing 32 in a 25 zone, both police and suspect were mutually polite and cooperative; stop ended eleven minutes after it began with ticket being handed to the suspect for 7+ in a 25 zone."

If it's true, that was a WIN.

Well, I'll agree with you there!

grapeshot, I hear you. Having lived in NOVA for three years, and Va Tech for a few more, I can honestly report the winter weather there is very similar to what it is here. The difference is that we're populated with skiing towns, and a lot of people around here ski, as well as out hiking on various trails throughout winter, so it's not uncommon to see someone wearing a ski mask when it's 10 below zero and the wind is gusting to 20 kts. On the other hand, I didn't know ski masks were illegal in Virginia! Myself and others wore them often while hiking from one side of campus to the other on the more wind-swept and bone-chilling days. A few of the treks took upwards of 15 minutes, which is enough to induce frostnip on exposed flesh.

How I managed without the winter gear I have today I have NO idea. Then I think of Valley Forge, and further humbled.

Personally, I think the ski mask bans are a bit much. I do know that one has to remove them as they enter a store. To me, that seems reasonable. An outright ban does not. However, I do believe that if someone is using a ski mask to escape identification during the commission of a crime...

Last edited: