• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it legal to shoot airsoft guns in a public park in VA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wylde007

Based on Some of the Arguments Presented Herein

Me and several friends of my youth should still be in jail.

We used to go into Seashore State Park and play One-Pump all the time. We would also throw green pine cones at each other. I probably still have scars.

NovaCop

The jurisdiction I work for has a local ordinance banning airsoft guns (any gun that expells using air, etc) from being shot. However, if I was dispatched to a call for what was mentioned (preteens/teens having an "airsoft war"), I would highly doubt I would end up charging or writing a report for the incident. Most likely I would gather them up, get their info for a less formal contact card, and explain to them that it's illegal and dangerous. Maybe a quick call to the parents as well. I don't mind them doing such an act, but I don't believe a public park would be a good place to conduct that behavior.

And let's just say that someone somewhere would argue airsoft gun shooting is legal....well an officer could always detain for littering (those bright neon plastic pellets the guns expel). Oh I just saw someone else mentioned the littering, beat me to it.

Last edited:

mercutio545

The jurisdiction I work for has a local ordinance banning airsoft guns (any gun that expells using air, etc) from being shot. However, if I was dispatched to a call for what was mentioned (preteens/teens having an "airsoft war"), I would highly doubt I would end up charging or writing a report for the incident. Most likely I would gather them up, get their info for a less formal contact card, and explain to them that it's illegal and dangerous. Maybe a quick call to the parents as well. I don't mind them doing such an act, but I don't believe a public park would be a good place to conduct that behavior.

And let's just say that someone somewhere would argue airsoft gun shooting is legal....well an officer could always detain for littering (those bright neon plastic pellets the guns expel). Oh I just saw someone else mentioned the littering, beat me to it.

I agree with you, I don't think a 10-13 year old should be charged with a crime for playing around, because they probably have no idea that it's against the law. You can't throw rocks at people either, but when I was a youngster, rock wars were the thing!

But you have to remember, the parents were there playing with them. If my mother found out that I was throwing rocks at people, my behind would have been as red as a tomato. She sure as heck wouldn't be throwing them with me!

GrayGhost

I don't think they should have been charged with a crime, but after the response the OP got from the father, it might have been fun to call it in stating that you had just seen 4 people running through the park with weapons drawn. Then just sit back and watch.

Then again maybe not. Wouldn't want to put anyone's life at risk either!

Last edited:

vt800c

they say you can't cure stupid...

I don't think they should have been charged with a crime, but after the response the OP got from the father, it might have been fun to call it in stating that you had just seen 4 people running through the park with weapons drawn. Then just sit back and watch.

maybe you can!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
maybe you can!

Had to reread your post several times to get the meaning clear.

Note that a reply generally refers to the thought immediately above it - what I saw at first was "maybe you can..put someone's life at risk.:uhoh:"

In fact, I think you meant that you maybe can correct stupid with appropriate action. Right?

mercutio545

I have an update for all those interested. I contacted the Director of the Suffolk Parks Department, and she said she would send word further down the COC. The Parks Manager contacted me and said they were completely unaware that this was going on at the park, and that the rangers would be on the lookout for such activity.

Very nice people to deal with, and hopefully this won't be an issue anymore.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I have an update for all those interested. I contacted the Director of the Suffolk Parks Department, and she said she would send word further down the COC. The Parks Manager contacted me and said they were completely unaware that this was going on at the park, and that the rangers would be on the lookout for such activity.

Very nice people to deal with, and hopefully this won't be an issue anymore.

It's really a shame how things have changed.
I'm like a lot of people here. I used to go out with friends and put on sunglasses before the BB gun battles started.....but, we did it out in the woods where there were no people to get hit by stray shots.

Now in many places, the only woods are in city/county parks. People are different now also. I remember when I was eleven or so, cleaning my 22 in my front yard. The fellow that delivered bread stopped to give me cleaning tips.
Now you'd get a visit from the cops.

Other than bouncing plastic pellets off of others, the real danger using airsoft guns near others is someone might just misunderstand and shoot him.

It's sad that all the open space is taken by subdivisions and office buildings and kids can't be kids anymore.

I'm glad my grandkids will have all the woods and fields they could want, to do as they please.

wylde007

It's sad that all the open space is taken by subdivisions and office buildings and kids can't be kids anymore.
Not all of it, friend. At least in Virginia Beach there are areas of the city which we call the "county" (Pungo, Blackwater, Creeds) where development is restricted to agricultural.
I'm glad my grandkids will have all the woods and fields they could want, to do as they please.
We're headed that way ourselves, with massive state and federal wetlands areas (read: swamps) and old-growth forests within spitting distance of our soon-to-be-home.

And not a moment too soon it would seem...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
.We're headed that way ourselves, with massive state and federal wetlands areas (read: swamps) and old-growth forests within spitting distance of our soon-to-be-home.

Good for you!

And not a moment too soon it would seem...

If we're thinking the same thing...I couldn't agree more!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by peter nap
If we're thinking the same thing... I couldn't agree more!

On at least some level I am most certain we are.

2 :exclaim:

Repeater

It's really a shame how things have changed.

Wildlife can't be wildlife anymore - either.

I'm seeing more and more deer wandering around our neighborhood; their new adopted habitat I suppose, considering the fact that all the forests nearby have been clear-cut for development. Now I'm seeing a raccoon in our backyard looking rather lost. Ever heard a lonely raccoon at night? It sounds awful. And there are lots of turkey vultures cleaning our streets from the squirrel roadkill.

The old days were better.

sst0185

Remember someone might do the same thing to you when you are OC'ing around town, right?:dude:

sst0185

Me and several friends of my youth should still be in jail.

We used to go into Seashore State Park and play One-Pump all the time. We would also throw green pine cones at each other. I probably still have scars.

Right on, We would run around the woods between our homes doing the same thing. This was in NOVA, my nephew lives in the house I grew up in, him and his buds still do that only with airsoft from time to time with all the tacticool gear on.

Guess NovaCop10 doesn't work in Reston.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.