• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it legal to shoot airsoft guns in a public park in VA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuc65

Activist Member
Wildlife can't be wildlife anymore - either.

I'm seeing more and more deer wandering around our neighborhood; their new adopted habitat I suppose, considering the fact that all the forests nearby have been clear-cut for development. Now I'm seeing a raccoon in our backyard looking rather lost. Ever heard a lonely raccoon at night? It sounds awful. And there are lots of turkey vultures cleaning our streets from the squirrel roadkill.

The old days were better.

The eastern cougar has been extinct for how long? Is it any wonder with no predators we have so many deer, rodents (squirrels and groundhogs).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't know about the "eastern" cougar being extinct; but we got cougars in VA. Maybe they migrated over. However they got here; they're here. Maybe not in any great numbers; but, they're here.

Migrated, cougars, they're here ... do we really want to know about that .... aah, you see everybody else is talking about the four legged variety. :lol:

Repeater

I don't know about the "eastern" cougar being extinct; but we got cougars in VA. Maybe they migrated over. However they got here; they're here. Maybe not in any great numbers; but, they're here.

I know we got cougars here in Virginia. Some of them are really good looking, hot even.

Some of them even carry!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I know we got cougars here in Virginia. Some of them are really good looking, hot even.

Some of them even carry!

The one's that are most dangerous to the real predators do just that.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Citizen
Its prolly just me, but I might be inclined to let folks have their fun.

I might say something like, "Whoa! Non-combatant refugees escaping the fighting. Can y'all hold off shooting each other til we get past? [smile]"

Similar story from a different POV

My son's daughter sent cell phone text to her dad, There's a boy down here (local private beach) pointing a gun at people."

Son called 911 and proceeded to the beach area about 200 yds away and determined that a teenager was indeed pointing/brandishing a very real looking airsoft with the tip painted black. Discussed and explained to the teenager and his mother about the danger and illegality of what was being done. The mother was not pleased and argumentative - they gathered up their things and left in a huff. LE never showed up that day while they were there. I believe that there was some follow up later that was of "educational value" as they event was not repeated.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

2 problems with that Marshaul, those aside, I'd agree.

Problem number one is they were shooting them around other people. I think the OP had an infant with them and those things bounce all over and sting.

Problem number two is a big one. If they point the thing at the wrong person, they're going to get killed.

nuc65

Activist Member
Last year the neighborhood boys decided to run around the neighborhood with their airsoft machine guns, some orange tipped, some not. It seemed to me that they were playing war, but only shooting at each other, not houses, not people, not animals. I left it alone, it seemed a common sense decision and I wished (for the thousandth time) that I had a toy like that growing up.

I think people feel like they should always control everybody else's actions because it isn't something they would do. Like carrying, people feel like there isn't a need so nobody should do it, like the old lady I passed who informed me that violence is isolated and she didn't need a gun so nobody needed one.

Violence in society, in part, is due to some people trying to suppress man's natural HUNTER/gatherer instincts. War play probably tends to burn some energy and some natural urge for violent action. In some people it may be possible that this play is an outlet that otherwise might manifest itself in more anti-societal fashion.

mercutio545

I don't think a lot of people here are understanding what the issue was. There was a six month old child being carried on a chest sling, her head completely exposed, while there were projectiles being fired in our general area. The nearest muzzle was no more than 30-50 feet away. Even if there wasn't an infant there, people shouldn't have to be afraid of getting hit with a rogue BB while enjoying a walk through the park.

And like Peter Nap mentioned, I had no idea if that black thing he was brandishing in his holster was real or not. Would I assume it was fake if he tried to draw on me? No way in hell.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't think a lot of people here are understanding what the issue was. There was a six month old child being carried on a chest sling, her head completely exposed, while there were projectiles being fired in our general area. The nearest muzzle was no more than 30-50 feet away. Even if there wasn't an infant there, people shouldn't have to be afraid of getting hit with a rogue BB while enjoying a walk through the park.

And like Peter Nap mentioned, I had no idea if that black thing he was brandishing in his holster was real or not. Would I assume it was fake if he tried to draw on me? No way in hell.

Understand that completely - as described the conditions of brandishing AND assault had already occurred. Glad it did not go further.

mercutio545

Oh and be sure to add littering to the list of offenses! The next day when we played disc golf, the trail was decorated with scores of translucent green BB's. Way to teach your children to be environmentally responsible.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Oh and be sure to add littering to the list of offenses! The next day when we played disc golf, the trail was decorated with scores of translucent green BB's. Way to teach your children to be environmentally responsible.

Many airsoft pellets are biodegradable/compostable.

How do you know they weren't these?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

How much garbage, biodegradable or not, do you want to see in parks?

Seems that the breakdown time for the biodegradable ones is between 4-5 months and about a year; for the others is anywhere from hundreds to thousands of years.

Maybe an environmental impact study should be made - ooops.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
How much garbage, biodegradable or not, do you want to see in parks?

Seems that the breakdown time for the biodegradable ones is between 4-5 months and about a year...

Sure, but it's not like 6mm pellets are going to stay visible for long. Within a couple days, or the first time it rains, they'll end up mixed in with the topsoil, where they will biodegrade.

mercutio545

All the biodegradable BB's I've seen are opaque and mostly white/off white. Do a Google image search for biodegradable BB's and you won't find any that are green and see-through.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
All the biodegradable BB's I've seen are opaque and mostly white/off white. Do a Google image search for biodegradable BB's and you won't find any that are green and see-through.

http://www.airsoftstation.com/king-arms-6mm-biodegradable-airsoft-bbs--0-20g--5000-rds--green.html

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Palco_Eco_6mm_biodegradable_airsoft_BBs_0_20g_1700_rds_green/669

http://www.buy.com/prod/crosman-200.../q/sellerid/11186134/loc/17250/204850136.html

http://www.thewarstore.org/accessor...g-bbbmax-transparent-bb-s-3700-count-bag.html

:rolleyes:

And anyway, so what? Give them a ticket for littering. Don't assault them with a SWAT team for "brandishing".

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

That's why I love City People Marshaul....Give them something nice and they'll trash it every time and brag about it.
You're probably right though. Those little green balls will hardly show up under the beer cans, needles, candy wrappers and used condoms.:uhoh:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
That's why I love City People Marshaul....

lol, is that what I am? :lol:

I'm just sayin', city boy that I am and all, I've played lots of airsoft, and always in the woods (usually behind my house, which is, as you intuited, in the city), and the pellets don't create an eyesore which is still visible a couple days later.

Status
Not open for further replies.