• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

multiple OC questions-SW Kansas

Donald Small

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
Howdy folks. i have multiple questions, here go's.

1. Does anybody here have information regarding OC in Liberal?

i cannot get an answer from city officials or LEO. I cannot get a copy of the local ordinances without paying 50 cents per page (400 pages, YA RIGHT!) or go to the public library and look them up. the problem is, conveniently for them, there never was a copy available in that library yet the city clerks absolutely swear that it is down there. i've asked the library director personally and she let it be known that there never EVER was a public copy down there!

2. on these ordinances, is it not required to have at least A copy available for public inspection?

3. part of question 1. I was born in this city, yes, raised here etc... but i recently moved off to Colorado for college and am now a Colorado resident but am taking online courses back in liberal (rent was too high out there). now, my question, since i am an out of state college student i am exempt from the requirement to switch residency/vehicle registration etc.... and was wondering if i would have to switch everything back to be able to open carry?

3A. can i take a CCW class in this town as a Colorado resident or do i have to take one in Colorado?

I really try to stay up to date on these things but i literally cannot understand alot of what is written in the law mainly due to the fact that you can interpret these laws in so many different ways that it is almost ludicrous. anyways, those are my questions, i understand Kansas has incomplete preemption but as to the actual details on the preemption, well, they are just fuzzy here in the SW corner of Kansas.

marine0300

Dealing directly with the issue of open carry in cities or counties. If an ordinance says nothing about open carry or does not specifically deny open carry than OC reverts to state law and is legal.

The best city ordinances in KS on open carry are the ones that say nothing!

What you need to do is contact the city clerks office and ask them for a copy of any ordinance dealing with weapons and knives. Do not tell them you want to find out about open carry. They aren't lawyers and that is not their job. The clerks office are record keepers and provide information when requested. You may have to pay for copying of the ordinance but it is well worth it.

I am very pro police officer! but most law enforcement do not know the specific laws on guns. Just like the clerks office, LEO's are not lawyers and in Kansas it's very hard to understand all the different laws on guns or anything else in that matter.

The next time your in town go personally down to the clerks office and obtain the information. City & County Clerks are the keepers of ordinances and resolutions in Kansas.

Also, when you receive the information please post what you find on this thread so other people may take advantage of knowing the rules.

I would be very surprised if Liberal was not a full open carry city.

City Clerk

324 North Kansas Avenue
P.O. Box 2199
Liberal, KS 67905-2199
Phone: (620) 626-2202
Fax: (620) 626-0511
Email

Debbie Giskie, City Clerk
Phone: (620) 626-2206
Email

Alicia Hidalgo, Deputy City Clerk
Phone: (620) 626-2202
Email

Donald Small

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
ok, after about a week of research on behalf of Debbie Giskie i have been informed that there is NO ordinance prohibiting open carry, just the illegal discharge of a firearm.

now, the only thing she couldnt tell me is how i may/may not be affected being a resident of Colorado. does anybody know if my residency choice will have any legal bearing on this?

marine0300

1- Dealing with open carry: anyone 18 and older may open carry in KS as long as they’re not a felon and its legal in the municipality. They must be a law abiding citizen and it doesn’t matter what state they live in. So since you’re a Colorado resident you can OC in Liberal, KS
2- Dealing with concealed carry: since you are a Colorado resident you have to obtain a Colorado CCW. Kansas has reciprocity with Colorado so if your licensed in that state you can conceal carry in KS.
3- Remember each state has different laws dealing with OC and CCW so make sure you do your homework.
4- A right unexercised is a right lost!