Thread: Contact with Bellingham Police (and it went well)

Contact with Bellingham Police (and it went well)

I walked outside to pee the dogs this morning and low and behold, the neighbors front door is wide open. Now this is not a usual call for alarm, but they were out of town and had a housesitter. I released my weapon but did NOT take it out as I walked slowly to the door. I rang the bell several times and yelled "Hello in the House" several times. No answer. I popped the pups in my house and called 911. I told her (911 OP)what went on and that I was armed. 911 OP asked what I had armed myself with and I told her I open carry a pistol in a holster. I had four police vehicles in less than five minutes. They approached the house, went in with lasers bright and found the house sitter sleeping in the basement with the bedroom door closed. She heard the bells, but thought she was dreaming untill BPD woke her up with weapons drawn. She apologized. Only one officer looked at my holster and no one commented on it. I did get a couple of "Thank yous" and one "attaboy". No hassle.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Good job looking out for your neighbors.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

How did that happen, I hear Bellingham PD is the worse when it comes to contact with open carriers!

Great Job and Nice Encounter, maybe this will undo some of the misconception about open carriers in that area.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Lessons learned...

I'm sure the lessons learned from previous law suit hit it home.

BPD had to pay out for hassling a fellow OC'er a year or two before.

With more encounters, just reinforces the "training bulletin" they must of gotten after the incident last year and... the more positive encounters the better.

Good job!
    Young Kim, NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Certified Instructor (pistol)
    NRA Range Safety Officer

www.shootonthemove.org

"Shoot Safetly, Shoot Often and Share Your Sport!"
    Jim Scoutten, Shooting USA

good job and looking out for neighbors is what we need more of.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Yea they know it's legal, and there isn't a lot they can do to stop it. And a few of the officers are supportive. Especially the older one with gray hair, he shook my hand and said thanks to me they know it is legal at a Starbucks once.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

In my business I have always carried weapons. I have walked thru McDonalds with an M16 in sling over my shoulder (caveat, I was in Army uniform). Nada. I may be stating the obvious, and I believe SVG has said: Act like you always do, look like you belong. People ( and that includes LEOs ) will not perceive you as a threat unless you are a threat. Now I do have a bit of a 'Lee Ermy' attitude about us all getting along, my reasoning for OC. I do NOT think it is us against them. I believe it is us against the uninformed/uneducated.

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    How did that happen, I hear Bellingham PD is the worse when it comes to contact with open carriers!

Great Job and Nice Encounter, maybe this will undo some of the misconception about open carriers in that area.
    I believe that at this point (thanks to SVG) that Vancouver and PCSD have assumed the top spot.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson