• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Threatened by officer

Josh Tanner

I was at easton town center today just getting some lunch and had my 9mm on my hip, properly holstered. I was approached by four security guards and three police officers. one of the police officers came up to me and asked "do you have a permit?" i told him no, that i didnt need one to openly carry. He replied with "dont get smart with me, I could light you up right now". I was well within my legal rights to carry in there. I have done it numerous times at easton and never had a problem. the officer told me that they didnt have to post it on the doors, that the signs on the doors are for ccw holders and im not allowed to carry in there because it is private property. he said i cant carry anywhere on private property, only walking down the street. I know that is not true. I have already contacted easton, the attorney general, and the columbus special duty office but if anybody has any suggestions, please let me know.

usamarshal

Ya, they are full of ****...next time tell them to site policy and/or orc...carry on brother!!!

Deanimator

Absent posting, you can carry on private property.

If actual agents of the property owner ask you to leave, you must.

You are advised to leave if the police order you to leave, whether it's improper or not. However you should identify any LEOs involved for formal complaints and or legal action.

You are HIGHLY advised to carry and use a voice recorder or recording app for your phone in ALL LEO encounters.

If you were asked to leave contrary to the owner's policy, he will probably kiss your behind to avoid trouble.

The cop either lied or was an idiot (could be both).

You're expected to know the law without exception. You should hold any LEO to the same standard. File formal complaints for their ignorance and terroristic threat.

230therapy

You should also make a little card that outlines the law. Look at ed's carry card for an example.

+1 on the voice recorder

+100 future points if you OC in a group at that location. Best to get them used to it.

Fallschirjmäger

"So, Officer Friendly, let me get this right ...
I'm doing something patently illegal, and you're here to witness the illegality. Why are you not issuing a citation or taking me to jail?
Perhaps I should have a word with your supervisor, yes?"

Last edited:

Deanimator

The way this cop was acting, if i asked him to recite policy, he probably would have shot me or threatened me again. come to think of it, that would have been nice-more leverage on my part.
False arrest is a gimme. Everything's got to be in writing and you have tangible damages. An Akron cop falsely arrested a woman for filming an arrest. I believe she's suing him and the city. It didn't help him that he was ORDERED to leave the woman alone. He got serious time off without pay at the MAYOR'S order. He's toast.

Last edited:

rottman43055

Thanks for posting your story here. I'm curious where this goes with the LEO.

Anyone here think we should join the OP with e-mails to the Columbus police? (was it for sure Columbus PD?)

JSlack7851

Ya, they are full of ****...next time tell them to site policy and/or orc...carry on brother!!!

I got to give it to the Marshal.

I would of lit him up. "Am I under arrest?", "Am I free to go?", "Are you aware of the Second Amendment?", "How about Article 1, Section 4 of the Ohio Constitution?", "How about Terry vs. Ohio?" Reasonable Articulable Suspicion?

YOU, Josh, need to learn these rights and invoke them when the time comes. Where was your voice recorder? You now must, ( by all means try) to contact his superiors. Not Sergeants, Lieutenants, or Captains, You need to contact the Chief of his department and exercise your right to complain about the violations of your Terry vs. Ohio rights.

Was there a report made? Was there a 911 call made? Officers names? When you run your voice recorder mention OUT LOUD the officers names so you don't have to remember them. Check for a report it will tell you if a 911 was called in. Call and talk to the manager of the shop you were in, see if he can give you any information as to why the popo were there.

Open Carry is legal in this State and the Attorney General has it in writing. Page 18.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...ations/2009-Concealed-Carry-Laws-Booklet.aspx

If you have the urge to still light him up for being smart with you post your story in these forums:

http://www.ohioopencarry.org/ And BFA.

http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewforum.php?f=26

Buckeye Firearms actually has people that will go to the Mayor and the Chief, depending on the circumstances and support your right to Open Carry.

Open Carry Ohio has a lot of OC'ers that would love nothing more than go to the original place and have lunch with you as a show of support.

Oh, and welcome to the neighborhood.

Last edited:

rottman43055

The OPer was aproached by 7 people, he may have been rattled. I sugguest you do like Jslack said and post your encounter on the buckeye forearms forums in the new open carry sub forum as well as here.

Rights

Witness and fellow OCer

I am an OCer and would caution forum members from taking each post as fact. I was at Easton and witnessed this encounter. The officer and Josh had an encounter that appeared to be cordial and non-threatening. In fact, only one officer was present during the initial encounter. Others arrived later, but left quickly. The poster even shook hands with the officer at the end of the encounter. I had checked previously before going to Easton and their policy is no weapons allowed. We should promote OCing, but not get a bad rap by challenging every time we make the choice. Check private property policies before attempting to go to a particular location to avoid issues.

Last edited:

Deanimator

I am a OCer and would caution forum members from taking each post as fact. I was at Easton and witnessed this encounter.
Good point. What reason do we have to believe that you were there?

I had check previously before going to Easton and their policy is no weapons allowed.
You have no duty to "check" the policy of any non-statutory private property owner. If it's not posted at the entrance where a reasonable person would see it, CARRY is their policy until some agent of the property owner tells you different.

Josh Tanner

I am a OCer and would caution forum members from taking each post as fact. I was at Easton and witnessed this encounter. The officer and Josh had an encounter that appeared to be cordial and non-threatening. In fact, only one officer was present during the initial encounter. Others arrived later, but left quickly. The poster even shook hands with the officer at the end of the encounter. I had checked previously before going to Easton and their policy is no weapons allowed. We should promote OCing, but not get a bad rap by challenging every time we make the choice. Check private property policies before attempting to go to a particular location to avoid issues.
trust me, if you would have talked to this officer, this guy was skiddish as hell. i am a passive person when there are so many people around and so many badges. if i cause him to get upset and people get uneasy, then i get "inducing panic". only one officer approached me in the shop but as soon as i walked out of there there where more. at least enough of them to each hold one of my hands while the first cop shook me down. easton does not have signs posted on their doors, there for that means carry.

Josh Tanner

i would love to get a meeting for alot of us together. anyone know a good place that supports open carry? i live in northern columbus but will travel a little ways just to have some good company. anyone interested let me know. deanimator, you really seem to know your sh*t. i would love to talk to you and maybe get some more details on the research you have done.

Last edited:

Deanimator

i would love to get a meeting for alot of us together. anyone know a good place that supports open carry? i live in northern columbus but will travel a little ways just to have some good company. anyone interested let me know. deanimator, you really seem to know your sh*t. i would love to talk to you and maybe get some more details on the research you have done.
Everything you could want to know is at Ohioans for Concealed Carry:

http://www.ohioccwforums.org

People there are extremely knowledgeable about Ohio law regarding concealed and open carry.

JSlack7851

Once again I got to give it up for the Marshal. Thanks also to W8New for posting the link, otherwise I might not of seen it.

i would love to get a meeting for alot of us together. anyone know a good place that supports open carry? i live in northern columbus but will travel a little ways just to have some good company. anyone interested let me know.

We had one tonight. (Sat.) at Hometown Buffet on Morse Rd. in Columbus. It has been posted for a while now. 21 people showed up, no Police.

Last edited:

Josh Tanner

We had one tonight. (Sat.) at Hometown Buffet on Morse Rd. in Columbus. It has been posted for a while now. 21 people showed up, no Police.[/QUOTE]

i was actually at that hometown buffet on friday night. i need to check these post more often. is there going to be another one there or in the area sometime soon?