• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ENC Range Day, March 19

Dreamer

CMP qualification lets you buy all sorts of things through the Civilian Marksmanship Program--not just Garands...

http://www.odcmp.com/

They sometimes have M1 Carbines, M1903's, and if you go to their stores in OH and AL, they have ALL sorts of stuff--Krags, .22s, M1917 Enfields, accessories, parts, and even ammo.

Plus its a cool thing to say, that you are CMP-qualified... ;)

Dreamer

I've been thinking about getting an M1 Garand, but surplus ammo is pretty scarce nowadays. Garands won't shoot newly made .30-06 since it's too powerful and will bend the op-rod. Reloading always works, but you're still looking at more than $0.50/round. I think my next purchase will be an AR-15 or a WASR-10. I'm still working out the kinks on my '74. Haven't decided if I am going to sell it, replace the barrel, or just deal with it...

You can get an adjustable gas cylinder lock screw from Brownell's which allow you to dial in the gas port to whatever ammo you want to use. Since most Garands have been re-barreled, using "modern" ammo shouldn't be a big issue, especially if you stick with FMJ rounds, and you keep the bullet size under about 170 grains (the original max spec for the Garand)...

Hornady makes a round ESPECIALLY for using in M1 Garands (product code # 81170) that is a little on the spendy side, but is, like most Hornady ammo, reportedly super-accurate--about as close to match-grade as you'll get with factory ammo.

It has also been reported that Winchester White Box an American Eagle ammo works reliably in M1 Garands.

There are options--you just need to think outside the box...

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, *PING*

I thought I had read somewhere that a manufacturer was making ammo for the Garand. Definitely not plinking ammo though. CMP used to have a lot of surplus, but they only have Greek stuff now.

M

mattwestm

Brother, I feel your pain. I'm in a similar situation with my CETME...

I changed out the furniture, making sure it's still 992r legal, but if I change the barrel to a Bulgarian one, I'll have to add an american made part. If I get a WASR, I'll just strip, sand, and restain the wood stock and it should be good to go. The problem with Century is you *can* find good ones, but sometimes you are stuck with lemons. I'm pretty sure I got a lemon.

Even worse is their warranty starts the day it leaves the Century warehouse. Since I bought mine from Centerfiresystems, the warranty was up only a month or two after I had it in my possession. I could get an proper Arsenal AK, but it's not worth $700+ to me.

Lastly, How was the range day???
Sucks I couldn't make it out.

elixin77

Range day was a blast. Dreamer and I both did the Garand shooting event through Down East Garand Shooters, and we both had a lot of fun. I somehow made most of my shots (prone) in the black, don't know how though. Standing, I put all 10 shots on paper, but one was really close, lol

Our SCCC adviser and her husband showed up, as did another SCCC member. Dreamer left about 1330, and I did a little skeet shooting till about 1415, then left myself.

Overall, it was a good day. The DEGS crew definitely knows their stuff when it comes to Garands, and they are a blast to shoot. Too bad Obango blocked a surplus shipment from Korea, so the surplus ball ammo is running out

merc460

I already have an SKS in 7.62x39, so it would be nice to consolidate calibers by purchasing the WASR. 5.45x39 is cheap ($0.12/round), but it's still another caliber that I have to purchase. I also don't know how long surplus ammo for it will be around. When that dries up, I'll be stuck with either Wolf or Silver Bear only. Thats why I'm considering getting an AR in 5.56/.223. I've found a really nice model for $800. 5.45x39 doesn't really do anything that .223 can't do.

I paid $400 for the AK. I'm looking at $120 for the replacement barrel and $70 to $140 in labor to replace it. I don't know anyone with a hydraulic press, so I'd have to get it sent off to a gunsmith. That $400 AK just turned into a $600 AK.

When purchasing an AK, you cannot (shouldn't) buy the "cheap priced" ones. Here's why..... When the importers buy them, they come in as crates of parts, then are assembled here. What happens is you have a mix mash of used parts that don't belong to that gun. Sometimes you might get lucky and get one that works flawlessly, but the odds are against you. Always look into buying a new one, like the ones from Arsenal. They are new, unfired units with matching numbers (well mine was fired three times at the factory). I love my AK. So far I have put one tin (1080 rounds) of ammo through it, and not one hiccup. Granted they cost more, but I don't mind paying for the piece of mind.

Attachments

• AK74.jpg
    AK74.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
M

mattwestm

Didn't want to make a new thread for this, but...

We are getting panic buttons at work now. I work for ECU in the Self-Help building (corner of 3rd and Evans near the courthouse). Apparently some guy from the streets came in one of the offices on another floor and was taking things from a refrigerator. He then proceeded to enter an employee's office and ask them for money while having his feet propped up on the desk. When she asked him to leave, he became quite angry, calling her a "devil woman." He went down the hall and started bothering other employees. Luckily ECU police got there while he was making his way to the elevator. I was told it took them less than five minutes to get there.

Instead of them spending money to install panic buttons which won't serve a purpose in the event of a shooter, how about convincing our state legislators to allow guns on campus. Even though my building isn't owned by ECU or on campus, a portion of it is leased by the university, so I don't believe I can carry there.

Does anyone who works on campus know if they are installing the buttons everywhere or if it was just for my building?

Dreamer

Didn't want to make a new thread for this, but...

We are getting panic buttons at work now. I work for ECU in the Self-Help building

Having had contact with the "Office of Victims Services" earlier this semester, I can tell you that it is my opinion that "helping one's self" is the LAST thing on these people's minds. They WANT people to stay in the "victim mentality". They actively work--with every fiber of their being--to discourage individuals from being proactive when it comes to personal safety and self defense. They WANT you to feel reliant on someone else for your safety--namely them...

Because if everyone stood up for him/herself, there would be NO NEED for "victims services", and they would lose their budget.

In a perfect College, Victims Services would only get funding on an "as-needed" basis, and "SCCC" would have a 5-figure budget for PR, training, and ammo... :D

Instead of panic buttons, the school should be installing a "tactical range", and buying ammo for students and faculty.

Instead of giving us one more level of technology between the "victim" and "law enforcement", our legislature should be repealing the "Victim Disarmament Zone" on College an University campuses...

M

mattwestm

Apparently they also had a meeting for our building about the buttons and what to do if a bad situation comes up. I wish I could have been there to give my "opinion."

I wonder how much money they spend on the system. They had to install the buttons under desks and also put wireless access points in the ceilings for the things. If guns were allowed on campus, that money could have been used for scholarships.