• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ENC Range Day, March 19

elixin77

Hey guys,

Students for Concealed Carrying on Campus, ECU chapter - which is now official, btw, is hosting a Range day on March 19th. This will be held at either Paradise Hunting Preserve or on private land which is relatively close to Paradise. I will let you know when the details are finalized.

It'll start around 930/10am, and go till whenever. If this will take place on private land, then we're going to see about possibly getting a grill set up so this can become an 'Eat n' Shoot,' a step up from our 'meet n' greets' we have every now and then.

If this will be at paradise, then the range fee is $15, and it's $1 per target if you didn't bring your own.

I have a 22LR spinner that I can bring, and we can bring some clay birds to shoot if anyone wants to go skeet shooting.

If your interested, speak up - the more the merrier

M

mattwestm

I don't think I'll be able to attend the 19th. I've got a French Club event that I planned.

EDIT: I wanted to add that I spoke with the guy at work. He stated his land really isn't great for shooting and that it's better for hunting. It's got too many trees, weeds, and brush to be able to shoot targets properly.

Also, is there any possibility of getting the range day moved to a different date? I'd really like to attend!

Last edited:

elixin77

I'll talk to Dreamer, but I don't know if the date can be moved. I think too many people have confirmed they want to go (our adviser and her husband for 2, plus the other 5 we have on orgsync)

elixin77

The range day is still set for the 19th. It will be held at Paradise Hunting Preserve (bring $15 for range fee, and it's $1 per target if you didn't bring your own).

I just did my first batch of reloads for 223, so if you do show up, you'll be the first to bear witness of my first successful reloads (or first horrible screw up, hopefully not this, lol).

Dreamer

I'll be attending, with my Para and my Glock 36, and probably my Walther P-22, just because it's been a while since I've put some rounds through it, and it's a good "beginners gun" for new shooters.

I'll also have my recently tricked-out CETME .308, and my Mossberg 500.

I'll bring a bunch of paper targets, my little steel spinner target (for rimfire) and a case of clays for shotgunning.

But I can't make a long day of it. I need to get home, clean all the guns, and then head up to the PRM for the rest of the weekend--I promised my sweetie that I'd go to a concert in VA with her on Sunday the 20th...

elixin77

I'll be attending with all guns in tow (590A1, 91/30, 1911, mini-14, model 60)

I might have also gotten a couple of my friends to come, and Todd will be shooting his mini 14 for the first time as well

M

mattwestm

Really wish I could be there for this one. Since I knew I couldn't make it, I went out to Paradise earlier today. I got there around 1:45 and it was pretty busy, but around 2:30, it was just me and Randy. He challenged me to hit the swinging bowling pins at 150yards with my Yugo Mauser (iron sights). My first two shots were about a foot high and left. Next few shots were about a foot high. Finally after about 10 rounds, I started nailing the pins. After about 30 rounds, my shoulder was bruised pretty badly.

I just ordered the $15 recoil pad that elixin77 has and hopefully I can shoot better next time. I also picked up a 760 round case of 8mm Mauser surplus ammo yesterday in Raleigh. It was fun testing that out.

Any idea when the next range day is going to be? It's better to shoot in the fall and spring since it gets really hot/cold in the summer/winter. Maybe late April/early May???

elixin77

we can try and have one right after finals are over (last official day of class is May 6) - so we can plan another range day for the 7th if people are interested

Bearfoot

The girlfriend and I drove out to Paradise Saturday to check it out, and also to physically locate it since neither of us has been there before. I am hoping to be there on the 19th to get a little shooting time in. As for now, I plan on bringing the AR-15, Glock 21, and PF-9. Her dad gave me a box of clay pigeons and 3 boxes of 12ga shells, so the shotgun just might make an appearance as well.:D I almost forgot about the Savage .17 HMR. Will try to bring it too.

Grats on becoming official with the SCCC.

Last edited:

elixin77

Hey guys,

I learned that the Garand Shooter's group is going to be there this Saturday at 8. It's $20 (I don't know if that covers the range fee or not, believe it does though), and $15 for ammo. This also qualifies you to purchase a Garand through CMP (civilian marksmanship program), and ball ammo at a reduced price.

edit: yes, the $35 to participate in the Garand shoot does cover the range fee

Last edited:

elixin77

might make it a bit crowded, but the last round of shooting with the Garand people is about 10am - that still leaves the rest of the day to us.

They'll probably take up a few (or more) lanes, but I don't think the range itself will be shut down, since its a public event

M

mattwestm

I've been thinking about getting an M1 Garand, but surplus ammo is pretty scarce nowadays. Garands won't shoot newly made .30-06 since it's too powerful and will bend the op-rod. Reloading always works, but you're still looking at more than $0.50/round. I think my next purchase will be an AR-15 or a WASR-10. I'm still working out the kinks on my '74. Haven't decided if I am going to sell it, replace the barrel, or just deal with it...

M

mattwestm

You could always use the AK as a 'down payment' on either the AR or WASR

I already have an SKS in 7.62x39, so it would be nice to consolidate calibers by purchasing the WASR. 5.45x39 is cheap ($0.12/round), but it's still another caliber that I have to purchase. I also don't know how long surplus ammo for it will be around. When that dries up, I'll be stuck with either Wolf or Silver Bear only. Thats why I'm considering getting an AR in 5.56/.223. I've found a really nice model for $800. 5.45x39 doesn't really do anything that .223 can't do.

I paid $400 for the AK. I'm looking at $120 for the replacement barrel and $70 to $140 in labor to replace it. I don't know anyone with a hydraulic press, so I'd have to get it sent off to a gunsmith. That $400 AK just turned into a $600 AK.

elixin77

trade it then.

If your looking for a SHTF rifle (which the AK would fill in for), and since your thinking about trading in the AK, pick something up in a NATO caliber, that way, if the blue hats decide to step on our turf, you'll be able to relinquish their ammo (which will be either 556 NATO or 762 NATO). Just make sure the gun you get has a stamp on the barrel that says "5.56mm", or know if the gun can shoot 556 NATO, which most AR platforms can, if I'm not mistaken