• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to disarm at Buffalo Wild Wings in Independence

ChiangShih

Last night afcarry and myself met a friend of mine for his birthday at the Buffalo Wild Wings on East Jackson Drive in Independence MO. We waited for awhile at the front to be seated and nothing was said about our handguns until a few minutes after we were seated. The manager approached with the usual question, "are you guys police officers?", to which I responded no. He then goes on "well then can I ask you guys to take your guns off and leave them in your cars."

Now usually at this point I would simply explain that we have a legal right to OC and give the no guns no money speech and leave; however, it was my friends birthday.

So I explained to the manager we would take them outside but we did have a legal right to OC. He started to say something about how he had to ask us to take them off because the establishment served alcohol, but I quickly asserted the regulations surrounding that and why they did not apply in our situation.

In the end, we took our guns outside for the remainder of our time there, which was pretty counter-instinctive. I'll be contacting their corporate office and writing some mean letters soon enough.

goalseter88

yah i had one meet and gree there, but after i posted it someone told me they have a no gun policy. so i called them and they told me no to the OC. but then i also had a buddy who told me he went ALL the time and never had an issue.
we went and didnt have any issues at all. it was only 2 of us, so it wasnt a Huge crowd either though.

sohighlyunlikely

51% not needed for OC

Yea the 51% for CCW law in Missouri is goofy and hard to even know what to consider places like this. Then add in that it doesn't apply to Open Carry. They really overcomplicated the laws on purpose I think and use it as a way of control through fear and confusion.

Doc

cshoff

Actually, "51%" is pretty easy to determine. If they serve alcohol on Sundays, then they make at least 51% of their income from the sale of food. Buffalo Wild Wings is a restaurant, and it does NOT fall into the category as a place where your permit "does not authorize" you to carry in RSMO 571.107.1.(7).

sohighlyunlikely

i would of told the manager no.

i dunno Independence OC laws though.

As the laws are. He was on private property. The manager has the right to ask him to take off a hat if that is his policy. It is your duty to comply or leave. To refuse and become an unwelcomed guests starts to put you in danger of trespassing.

Doc

kcgunfan

Heck, being private property, the manager could have asked you to wear a tutu and do a pirouette. Luckily, we can always leave and take our money elsewhere.

Tell the manager no, and you would be looking at a trespassing citation at a minimum. And, if you have a CCW endorsement, it gets worse quickly. I would recommend that you familiarize yourself with the law a little better.

sohighlyunlikely

Had this happened to me, my friend would have had a birthday meal someplace else, armed. BWW is anti-gun, from the top down. If you have carried there without problems it's because the local manager is 2A friendly or nobody noticed. They will never get any of my dollars. Too bad, they have good wings.

I am reading mixed info on BWW. Some are saying the corporate heads are not anti 2A and it just some of the franchises that are anti gun. Can you give me your source please so I can get the complete picture on this.

Doc

dkangel

I would recommend never giving back any flack or even explaining it is your right. It is a private place of business and they are well within their right to ask you to leave. Keep in mind that it is our job to put a good face on OC - through the use of respect and courtesy so we can eventually get rid of pre-emption.

cash50

I think it would have been a stronger statement to show him if he doesn't want to support local laws and law abiding citizens, you'll go elsewhere, and tell your friends to do the same.

Sucks it was a birthday thing that you really wanted to do.

afcarry

We would have left, and trust me, Chiang did his best to educate the manager, but he was being retarded. We would have left in a with no delay IF it wasn't our friends birthday. But being as it was, we stayed. It was made clear to him, however, that we were unhappy with the request. In fact, when we returned I placed all three of my magazines on the table. Plus writing sweet 2A nothings on the receipts may have passed on subliminal messages, too.

kylemoul

I would recommend never giving back any flack or even explaining it is your right. It is a private place of business and they are well within their right to ask you to leave. Keep in mind that it is our job to put a good face on OC - through the use of respect and courtesy so we can eventually get rid of pre-emption.

yes i know they are and i would right away...but did they ever ask you to leave?