• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying While Taking a Drink

Tribunal Power

[Would have made more sense if it was called "Taking a Drink While Carrying." Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose.>_< ]

Emphasis on "A" drink.

I'm aware we cannot carry loaded into a bar, or a place that makes more than half its revenue on alcohol (which I've heard called the "51 Rule" for 51%-- catchy. no?) and I know we, of course, cannot carry while intoxicated. But if I want to go to Buffalo Wild Wings and have a drink-- just one-- with my wings, would I be breaking the law?

I'm just wondering if there is a legal plateau between carrying at a restaurant and carrying while intoxicated. Initial web searches haven't found anyone asking this question and as such, no answers.

So does having my weapon fully loaded while I sip wine at Olive Garden make me a criminal?

Just a bit of closure for those of you who might be alarmed at mixing guns/alcohol: I've never been drunk in my life. I don't drink to get drunk-- I drink for the taste, and I've never had more than one drink at a time. I normally just drink wine, and have never really even been tipsy from it. I do not plan to ever get drunk, and as such, it bothers me to have to leave my pistol in the car just because I want a glass of wine. Of course, this has actually saved me a little money here and there as I usually carry instead of drinking, but still, I would like to know.

I know someone will probably say "one drink leads to another," but I'm not here to argue the morality or the wisdom of the decision-- just to learn the legality of it.

Thanks, folks.

Last edited:

trooper46

As far as I know, there are no statutes regarding the consumption of alcohol and carrying a firearm in KY. You are only responsible for what occurs with your weapon, not what might occur.

As for morality of it, to each his own. I occasionally will have a beer with my meal when we go out to dinner . But that's my body and my tolerance. It may be different for others. It's the same as with driving, know the limit for you which you can safely drive or carry and don't cross the line.

UnfetteredMight

As far as I know, there are no statutes regarding the consumption of alcohol and carrying a firearm in KY. You are only responsible for what occurs with your weapon, not what might occur.

As for morality of it, to each his own. I occasionally will have a beer with my meal when we go out to dinner . But that's my body and my tolerance. It may be different for others. It's the same as with driving, know the limit for you which you can safely drive or carry and don't cross the line.

Agreed. To my knowledge there is no prohibition against carrying while intoxicated and there shouldn't be.

If you drink and shoot someone though, your facing a long uphill battle in court unless the conditions are rock solid with witnesses.

mem1977

In my opinion and this is just an opinion. A person shouldn't mix alcohol and guns.
There will always be a bad outcome. That's just my thoughts though.

:banana::monkey

Last edited:

clearconscience

There really one way to look at it.

If you had to use your weapon how would a jury see you? How would the DA present the case? Would you showing the presence of alcohol in your blood no matter how little be a determining factor in charging you with murder?

I've always said it's better to be safe than sorry. I never want to give anyone a reason to take away my right to carry a firearm or take away my freedom.

Do you really want to take the chance of going to jail for the rest of your life?