• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling by motorcycle

sjr56

I'm new to the site and love the info it contains. I looked but didn't find my answer. My question is when I ride my motorcycle here in WV, I normally end up crossing thru Md and into Pa. I am used to getting questioned by police just for riding a Harley and my apperance. My question is what is the best way to carry and protect my 2nd rights?
Thanks

sjr56

I don't have CC. Was planning on OC. Maryland is just a PITA state.

Don Barnett

Maryland is a Lost Cause...

I live in Virginia and sometimes visit my family in Maryland, where I am from.

I don't know what to tell you about traveling with a gun in Maryland; I suppose you can unload it and stow it in a locked saddle bag but I am not sure if that would be the same thing as a trunk.

I just bought a shoulder holster for my Kimber Pro-Carry II. It fits OK under my leather jacket and, of course, the rig does not interfere with my chaps like my belt holster.

You need to check on the reciprocal agreements yourself.

Why do the Police harass you because of your Harley and/or appearance?? Are you running with those "straight-pipe" mufflers??

sjr56

Thanks all, I guess I'll continue to be thought as a criminal in Md. and carry.
Alot of cops approach you differently when your on a Harley wearing leather, hair and tattoos(called profiling). I've been harassed, detained, strip searched, etc... thruout the years. Its amazing what you can get used to.LOL
Never really wanted or felt the need for cops, but I do also respect the job they do...

Thanks

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Alot of cops approach you differently when your on a Harley wearing leather, hair and tattoos(called profiling). I've been harassed, detained, strip searched, etc... thruout the years. Its amazing what you can get used to.LOL
Never really wanted or felt the need for cops, but I do also respect the job they do...

Thanks

That approach could serious jeopardize your freedom for a period of time as well as permanently disbar you from the RKBA.

That and see OCDO rule:
WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

Blk97F150

Thanks

If you have been "harassed, detained, strip searched, etc", why would you make things worse by carrying in a potentially illegal manner? If I knew I was more likely to be stopped by the police, for whatever reason, you can bet your ass that I'd have as much stuff in line as possible to minimize that 'interaction' with police as much as I could.

That said.... the phrase 'don't ask, don't tell' comes to mind (albeit in a different context then originally intended). If you are going to do something... do it. Don't talk about it, don't post on forums about it etc.... just do it. And be prepared to accept responsibility for your actions, if need be.

Disclaimer: Im not advocatiing anything illegal, yada, yada, burp, ****, belch...

hogeaterf6

If your not a biker, then you do not understand.

I feel for ya brother, bikers are singled out. We keep on riding tho.....

Mr H

Thanks

While changing to "Maryland Mode" stinks, and has a faint resemblance to reverting to a "secret identity" while here, IMO it's still better than setting yourself up for a living Hell, should the winds blow unfavorably.

I ride, and have a somewhat "bikeresque" appearance. I can't say for certain since I'm not in your boots, but I would think I'd just go with FOPA and wait until getting to PA to strap on (assuming all Ts are crossed, etc.). Same thing on the return.

If you have lockable saddlebags, AFAIK that should suffice for securing for transport.

jbupland

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
it is my understanding that pa is an open carry state however be it for philadelphia...BSimho. but as an open carry state i dont think it matters where you are from i was born and raised in baltimore and my family is still there and they are almost as bad as jersy if not worse when it comes to carrying any way it is my understanding that if you are caught with a gun in md its an automatic 5 years and if it has one in the chamber you can double that (not fact just what i have heard about md)