Thread: CPL carrying others guns

CPL carrying others guns

Can a CPL holder carry a gun (concealed or openly) that is not registered to them?
    Last edited by xmanhockey7; 02-27-2011 at 09:12 PM.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Yes......Michigan law allows this as long as the firearm is properly registered to the person loaning it to you.

Banned
    Yep, the registration is key, you cannot carry someone elses gun unless you have a CPL IIRC.

This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" - Adolph Hitler

Here's the law. And, more importantly, here's the link to the MI Legislature's website where you can do keyword searches on all Michigan Compiled Laws (MCL) and introduced bills http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(cua...aspx?page=Home Use it, live it, love it.

28.432 Inapplicability of MCL 28.422; amendatory act as “Janet Kukuk act”.

Sec. 12.

(1) Section 2 (I've provided a link to MCL 28.422, sec. 2. It is the law that details the requirements to get a License to Purchase/Possess, B) does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A police or correctional agency of the United States or of this state or any subdivision of this state.

(b) The United States army, air force, navy, or marine corps.

(c) An organization authorized by law to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state.

(d) The national guard, armed forces reserves, or other duly authorized military organization.

(e) A member of an entity or organization described in subdivisions (a) through (d) for a pistol while engaged in the course of his or her duties with that entity or while going to or returning from those duties.

(f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state.

(g) The regular and ordinary transportation of a pistol as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms or a licensed dealer.

(h) Purchasing, owning, carrying, possessing, using, or transporting an antique firearm. As used in this subdivision, "antique firearm" means that term as defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.

(i) An individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting a pistol belonging to another individual, if the other individual's possession of the pistol is authorized by law and the individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting the pistol has obtained a license under section 5b to carry a concealed pistol or is exempt from licensure as provided in section 12a.
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" - Adolph Hitler
    And that is a bogus quote, http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcbogus.html

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA

third riech gun control

Hitler didn't need to mandate gun control, the Weimar Republic did that in 1919, long before he took over in 1933. He eventually instituted his own rules in 1938.springerdave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    And that is a bogus quote, http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcbogus.html

Bronson
    2 things first Hitler spoke German so we wouldn't have understood the actual quote.

And second stainless didn't actually use "quotations" so he's off the hook.
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

Banned
    whew, that was close.

Yep, the registration is key, you cannot carry someone elses gun unless you have a CPL IIRC.

You do realize the quote you used is fake right? I just wanted to point that out. Gun registration/licensing was passed during the days of the Weimar Republic. They were already in place when Hitler was running for office and they remained unchanged throughout his term as leader and dictator. Obviously the people who he did not approve of had their licenses revoked; however, he did not pass gun registration.

Banned
    See post 4,5,6 and 7.

Good luck trying to get some LEOs to honor the Janet Kukuk Act. When I was stopped last spring by Wayne State and plainclothes DPD LEOs this one DPD LEO said he didn’t care about the law that allows CPL holders to carry any registered pistol, he said "If it’s not yours I’m taking it! Do you understand!?"

Of course the pistol belonged to me, but that was hardly the point. The DPD LEO blantantly said in front of several officers that he wasnt going to honor the law.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

Banned
    Did you report this/

Could the officer be charged with theft?

Did you report this/

Yeah if he actually took it, and you actually found another officer to file the report.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
    2 things first Hitler spoke German so we wouldn't have understood the actual quote.

And second stainless didn't actually use "quotations" so he's off the hook.
    Sprechen für sich
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Banned
    If the officers won't, then what? The DA?

Quote Originally Posted by eastmeyers View Post
    Sprechen für sich

Eigentlich: Sprich für dich selbst!
    Last edited by DrTodd; 03-06-2011 at 10:24 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Banned
    farfegnugen

Did you report this/

I still have the audio from that stop.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

Banned
    That would be an interesting listen. I'm glad that didn't turn into anything bad for you.

farfegnugen
    farfegnugen? Do you mean "fahrvergnügen"?
    I prefer "Schießvergnügen.". Try looking that one up in Google Translate.
    Last edited by DrTodd; 03-09-2011 at 06:43 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Banned
    Sounds better coming from a German girl, the accent is adorable.

Sounds better coming from a German girl, the accent is adorable.
    Yes it does!

Banned