• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL carrying others guns

xmanhockey7

Can a CPL holder carry a gun (concealed or openly) that is not registered to them?

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Yep, the registration is key, you cannot carry someone elses gun unless you have a CPL IIRC.

This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" - Adolph Hitler

Bronson

Here's the law. And, more importantly, here's the link to the MI Legislature's website where you can do keyword searches on all Michigan Compiled Laws (MCL) and introduced bills http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(cua42znvsevtz0ew0krn51mb))/mileg.aspx?page=Home Use it, live it, love it.

28.432 Inapplicability of MCL 28.422; amendatory act as “Janet Kukuk act”.

Sec. 12.

(1) Section 2 (I've provided a link to MCL 28.422, sec. 2. It is the law that details the requirements to get a License to Purchase/Possess, B) does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A police or correctional agency of the United States or of this state or any subdivision of this state.

(b) The United States army, air force, navy, or marine corps.

(c) An organization authorized by law to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state.

(d) The national guard, armed forces reserves, or other duly authorized military organization.

(e) A member of an entity or organization described in subdivisions (a) through (d) for a pistol while engaged in the course of his or her duties with that entity or while going to or returning from those duties.

(f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state.

(g) The regular and ordinary transportation of a pistol as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms or a licensed dealer.

(h) Purchasing, owning, carrying, possessing, using, or transporting an antique firearm. As used in this subdivision, "antique firearm" means that term as defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.

(i) An individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting a pistol belonging to another individual, if the other individual's possession of the pistol is authorized by law and the individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting the pistol has obtained a license under section 5b to carry a concealed pistol or is exempt from licensure as provided in section 12a.

This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" - Adolph Hitler

And that is a bogus quote, http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcbogus.html

Bronson

Jared

Yep, the registration is key, you cannot carry someone elses gun unless you have a CPL IIRC.

You do realize the quote you used is fake right? I just wanted to point that out. Gun registration/licensing was passed during the days of the Weimar Republic. They were already in place when Hitler was running for office and they remained unchanged throughout his term as leader and dictator. Obviously the people who he did not approve of had their licenses revoked; however, he did not pass gun registration.

cmdr_iceman71

Good luck trying to get some LEOs to honor the Janet Kukuk Act. When I was stopped last spring by Wayne State and plainclothes DPD LEOs this one DPD LEO said he didn’t care about the law that allows CPL holders to carry any registered pistol, he said "If it’s not yours I’m taking it! Do you understand!?"

Of course the pistol belonged to me, but that was hardly the point. The DPD LEO blantantly said in front of several officers that he wasnt going to honor the law.