• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opinions on why or why not open carry is good???

TrailRunner

I open carry because cops are thin on the ground and people do crazy things. When the fan blades turn brown, I don't want to think "Dang. Left my pistol at home today because I thought I wouldn't need it."

rushcreek2

All of the excuses for why citizens of this constitutional republic should not REALLY exercise a right that is constitutionally guaranteed fall upon my numb ears.

People IN THIS NATION have the right to be armed for personal safety. Shall we not "offend" foreign tourists ? We are supposed to subordinate our law to their standards ? No thank you.

MSC 45ACP

I carry daily. I decide which way I will carry based upon where I'm going and what I'm doing. If I'm wandering around town shopping or walking on the waterfront or other areas frequented by tourists, I will Open Carry and make sure I have several of Ed's OC Cards available (see VA Forum for info where you can send your SASE to get some) to share with those that express an interest in My Little Friend.

I've had a few 'incidents' over the years where I am absolutely positive I prevented a crime from being committed. Most memorable was an incident while I was eating my lunch at Taco Bell and a pair of Bad Characters with masks and pistols "printing" under their t-shirts came through the door. The first one through the door saw my lovely Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II on my left hip at the same time I saw them come through the door. He looked like a cartoon character trying to climb OVER his partner (behind him) to be the first one out the door they had just come through. I saw their faces when they came through the door and when the dark-complected fellows turned an odd shade of grey and their eyes bugged out like Roger Rabbit, I saw their pistols "print" under their white t-shirts. The whole thing took place in a matter of seconds. The store employees didn't even notice what had happened, nor did the other patrons. It took me a couple seconds to "register" what had just taken place. Unfortunately, I didn't have the presence of mind to take notes about their direction of departure or their vehicle. My first action was to ask the employees "Did you see that?"

I know quite a few other OCers that can share similar experiences where OCing has prevented crime. On one hand, it CAN be a crime deterrent. It is common knowledge that MOST criminals aren't nearly as bold when they are confronted by an armed 'victim'. They will pick a 'soft target' any time. It is true, a very small minority of criminals would actually confront an armed individual. Gang members and those under the influence of some drugs come to mind. In situations like this, Concealed Carry (CC) would probably be more advantageous. If you are going into a known "rough" area, you may CC to maintain a tactical advantage over your adversary.

Unfortunately, I can't say for sure this holds true for everyone. My children say I still "look like a cop" even though I've been retired for 6 years and have gained weight, grown long hair and go without shaving for weeks at a time. They're convinced that no one will "mess with me" while OCing or even CCing because of this.

I'm not complaining. The LAST thing any of us wants is to have to pull the trigger and the paperwork and legal problems that go along with it.

If you must draw your firearm, Pray you don't have to pull the trigger.
If you must pull the trigger, Pray your marksmanship is true.

In the ideal situation, you won't be charged and your state has a Castle Doctrine or similar law that prevents the BG's family from going after you in a civil process. You will still have to live with your decision. Nightmares fade, but they never go away.

eddallen1958

Open carry will make it more difficult for law enforcement to determine who may be legally carrying and who may be carrying illegally.

This I have to disagree with. Most common criminals will not open carry a weapon. They are going to keep their weapon concealed because they don't want to attract any attention from the police. They know they are going to break the law and don't want to put themselves on display.

eye95

This I have to disagree with. Most common criminals will not open carry a weapon. They are going to keep their weapon concealed because they don't want to attract any attention from the police. They know they are going to break the law and don't want to put themselves on display.

If I might tweak what you are saying: Bad guys operate in one of two modes: (1)concealed carry (usually unlawful) and (2) brandish. I am not saying it has never happened, but I know of no case where the bad guy came upon the scene of his crime with a properly holstered, openly carried weapon. If it has ever happened, it is so rare that officers should assume that a properly holstered, openly carried firearm is a sign of a good guy.

protect our rights

+1
If I might tweak what you are saying: Bad guys operate in one of two modes: (1)concealed carry (usually unlawful) and (2) brandish. I am not saying it has never happened, but I know of no case where the bad guy came upon the scene of his crime with a properly holstered, openly carried weapon. If it has ever happened, it is so rare that officers should assume that a properly holstered, openly carried firearm is a sign of a good guy.

+1

Well said guys.

Last edited:

Lavon

"Or maybe he's trying for the other argument - that OCers have an unfair advantage because the BGs will not pick them as victims, thus increasing te chances that everybody else will be picked as a victim?"

Strange as it may seem, this idea is sometimes advanced by those on the other side of the political fence. Some years ago, I had an on-going email debate with an editor of Slate Magazine (a very left-leaning organ) about my using the "Club" on my car... of all things. I had mentioned that most BG's who see this just move on to someone's else's car that looks promising. He felt that this was somehow not fair and that I should feel a little shame for maybe steering a thief to another victim. After I got over my fit of laughing, I wrote that perhaps other victims might reduce their chances at victimhood if they also took measures to better protect their property.

So I suppose I should now partially hide my sidearm (remember, my knees) in an effort to level the playing field. Interesting.

ROTFLMAO!!! That's the dumbest analogy I've EVER heard! I'm an un-fair, shameful, gun-toting individual that just might have to protect a libtard one day. Or maybe NOT! LOL

I generally CC in businesses but often it imprints and gets noticed. I tend to OC when riding the motorcycle (and awaiting the day an officer pulls me over to inquire). I recently had two ladies notice I was CC'ing with my little ones. As we walked by, one of them just said, "That's a gun right there". They smiled and nodded as I smiled and spoke to them.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
ROTFLMAO!!! That's the dumbest analogy I've EVER heard! I'm an un-fair, shameful, gun-toting individual that just might have to protect a libtard one day. Or maybe NOT! LOL

I generally CC in businesses but often it imprints and gets noticed. I tend to OC when riding the motorcycle (and awaiting the day an officer pulls me over to inquire). I recently had two ladies notice I was CC'ing with my little ones. As we walked by, one of them just said, "That's a gun right there". They smiled and nodded as I smiled and spoke to them.

I'm going to assume you meant his analogy, not my example. 'Cause I KNOW you didn't direct your first sentence comment at me.

Last edited:

William Fisher

If more people OCed the BGs (seeing armed persons) would think longer about grabbing Grandmas purse in the WalMart parking lot or trying to take grandpas (in a wheel chair) billfold after slapping him upside the head. Also in such situations where you may need to take action, the two or three seconds you may save drawing your weapon rather then having to uncover it before arming yourself may be the difference in the BG being shot or an innocent. JMO.

Last edited:

protect our rights

As supported by these facts:

Fact:
Felons report that they avoid entering houses where people are at home because they fear being shot.

Fact:
59% of the burglaries in Britain, which has tough gun control laws, are “hot burglaries” which are burglaries committed while the home is occupied by the owner/renter. By contrast, the U.S., with more lenient gun control laws, has a “hot burglary” rate of only 13%.

I assume these facts are correct, I just love to see links and references.

M

McX

my primary endearment to OC over CC is; in the summer, where exactly can i hide a full size .45 while wearing shorts, and a Led Zepplin t-shirt? seems like sooner or late all CC guns end up being at least partial OC.