• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help Needed. HB 140

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
I wanted to ask your help with something! Evidently, a New Mexico CHL instructor has been emailing committee members AGAINST HB 140, Rep. Nate Gentry's bill to eliminate the mid-term, two hour firearms refresher course. It's hard to tell the motivation, whether it's a firm belief that more training is better [which it is, however, shooting 25 rounds every two years and going home is certainly not trainng], or whether it's due to a financial interest in maintaining the status quo. Either way, it's sending mixed signals to committee members.

I'm wondering if you might send an email to Rep. Gentry and members of the House Judiciary Committee - where the bill is currently pending - explaining that you SUPPORT HB 140 and why. Is that something you'd be willing to do? If so, the emails for Rep. Gentry and committee members are below. Thanks, as always, for your support of our efforts in Santa Fe!

Rep. Nate Gentry
natefornm@gmail.com

Rep. Al Park
alpark.nm@gmail.com

Rep. Joseph Cervantes
joseph@cervanteslawnm.com

Rep. Eliseo Lee Alcon
eliseoalcon@msn.com

Rep. Paul Bandy
paul@paulbandy.org

Rep. Cathrynn Brown
brown55@windstream.net

Rep. David Chavez
david@davidcchavez.cm

Rep. Zach Cook
zachjcook@gmail.com

Rep. David Doyle
ddoyle@ebnm.com

Rep. Brian Egolf
brian@brianegolf.com

Rep. Moe Maestas
rep16@moejustice.com

Rep. Bill O'Neill
oneillhd15@fastmail.us

Rep. Bill Rehm
bill.rehm@nmlegis.gov

Thanks,

Steve Aikens

AH.74

Done, Steve.

Thanks for your continuing efforts, and for notification of the chance to help.

NMBill

Done

Done. I pointed out, in my email, not only the uselessness of the two-year "training", but the additional burden it places on the already overworked Concealed Carry Unit staff.

Steve, shouldn't the email address for David Chavez be ".com", rather than ".cm"?

snoball

E-mailed them all this morning. Thanks for the heads up Steve. We appreciate the time you spend in Santa Fe to make laws better for the community of firearm owners.

68jimmy

Received two replies to my emails...

The positive:

Donovan,
We will push this legislation.
Thank you,
Bill Rehm
Endowed NRA Life Member

Then the negative:

Dear Donovan,
I remember you've contacted me before in support of concealed carry laws. I believe HB 140 will likely pass this year.

I haven't supported it because the legislature essentially compromised with supporters of concealed carry and the
NRA to require a 2-year refresher course back when we first passed the bill.

Thanks for writing to me,
Gail Chasey

It would seem that at least some of the committee members are reading their emails... Wait and see how it turns out.

NMBill

Haven't heard a peep

Received two replies to my emails...

The positive:

Donovan,
We will push this legislation.
Thank you,
Bill Rehm
Endowed NRA Life Member

Then the negative:

Dear Donovan,
I remember you've contacted me before in support of concealed carry laws. I believe HB 140 will likely pass this year.

I haven't supported it because the legislature essentially compromised with supporters of concealed carry and the
NRA to require a 2-year refresher course back when we first passed the bill.

Thanks for writing to me,
Gail Chasey

It would seem that at least some of the committee members are reading their emails... Wait and see how it turns out.

No responses here. You must have some serious pull. :)

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
Rep. Rehm is a serious supporter of the Second Amendment and we've worked on a good deal of legislation together over the years.

Chairwoman Chasey is significantly opposed to any firearms legislation, though I can recall she DID actually vote for us once [and I recall she noted what a burden it was to her]. However, she and I get along just fine and I honestly respect her integrity for standing up for what she believes [which opposed firearms] yet she willingly and easily schedules our bills as soon as she can to give us a fair shake on getting heard for an up or down vote so we can move on - or die in her committee.

Further - Rep. Antonio "Moe" Maestas [ rep16@moejustice.com ] - acting as Vice Chair in CPAC - though not for our Justified Use Of Force Bill - HB 228 - got it heard for us so it moved on, as well as pulling HB 136 off the table so we could amend, pass and move it it forward. Please take a moment to send him a thank you for helping us get that needed up or down vote. It passed his committee and has moved forward to HJC.

PracticalTactical

Does it look like this is going to die in committee?

Shameless Sig Plug: Practical Tactical Training - The Best CHL class value in Southern New Mexico. PM me for details or call 575-520-8888

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
Everything is dead. Rep. Park, Chair of House Judiciary, refused to hear any of our bills - regardless of what happens from here out, there is no chance anythig can make it through either chamber now, before we go Sine Die at noon Saturday.

I'll post details later.

snoball

Sorry to hear that. I cannot believe in a 60 day session that they cannot pass good legislation that does not require tax dollars. I appreciate all the time you spent (most in SF) trying to get legislation passed to help all NM gun owners. I will give it another try next year, but the 30 day sessions have rarely been enough time for gun legislation.
I will remember the politicians that blocked these proposed changes.

NMBill

Next Time

Thanks, Steve and all others who worked towards more realistic gun laws. As I posted earlier, this was probably not the year for great strides. Next year!

PracticalTactical

Everything is dead. Rep. Park, Chair of House Judiciary, refused to hear any of our bills - regardless of what happens from here out, there is no chance anythig can make it through either chamber now, before we go Sine Die at noon Saturday.

I'll post details later.

So what happened? Did that budget fight push everything else off the map?

Shameless Sig Plug: Practical Tactical Training - The Best CHL class value in Southern New Mexico. PM me for details or call 575-520-8888