• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Car carry in TX? 21 and no CCW and traveling through. Is this permissible?

HYRYSC

Getting read to take a trip through TX and was wondering if a 21 year old with no CCW could legally vehicle carry through OK?

KBCraig

It's legal for anyone not prohibited from owning a gun, who is not a member of a criminal gang (as defined elsewhere in Texas law), and who is not breaking any laws other than a Class C violation of the Traffic Code, to carry a loaded concealed handgun in a motor vehicle.

There's no age restriction.

There's also no requirement that it be concealed if you're "traveling", but that's a fight you probably wouldn't want to fight.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
Doesn't say that, but first hand experience with state troopers outside El Paso learned me that they think it says that somewhere.

The DPS interpretation of the law isn't right, but who wants to spend hours or days proving them wrong? And while on vacation? Not I :)

not that i ever go to el paso, but the law only says concealed in the car, it doesn't say how it has to be concealed. Guess if i'm ever stopped in DFW, i'll find out if they intend to misconstrue the law.