• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sworn Officers in VA and carry in DC and MD?

CHILINVLN

Can a sworn officer in the Commonwealth of VA carry in DC or MD? I've done some research on this and can't quite find a conclusive answer.

p.publius

LOESA and the Military

I believe as retired military (US Navy) and having performed the duties as Master-at-Arms, Shore Patrol and Petty Officer and Officer of the Watch at the Quarterdeck of a naval Vessel I meet the following:

In order to be covered as a "qualified law enforcement officer," a person must meet each and every one of the following criteria: He or she must be (1) "an employee of a governmental agency"; (2) "authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law"; (3) have "statutory powers of arrest"; (4) "authorized by the agency to carry a firearm"; (5) "not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency"; (6) "meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm"; and (7) "not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm." In addition, the privilege conferred by the law applies only when the individual "is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance.

One through five apply although they were not my sole duty for 20 years of service. Should I apply? :banghead:

Last edited:

Jay

I believe as retired military (US Navy) and having performed the duties as Master-at-Arms, Shore Patrol and Petty Officer and Officer of the Watch at the Quarterdeck of a naval Vessel I meet the following:

In order to be covered as a "qualified law enforcement officer," a person must meet each and every one of the following criteria: He or she must be (1) "an employee of a governmental agency"; (2) "authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law"; (3) have "statutory powers of arrest"; (4) "authorized by the agency to carry a firearm"; (5) "not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency"; (6) "meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm"; and (7) "not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm." In addition, the privilege conferred by the law applies only when the individual "is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance.

One through five apply although they were not my sole duty for 20 years of service. Should I apply? :banghead:

If everything applies to you... You would also need to have a photo ID issues by the LEO agency you say you represent showing retirement as LEO. Plus you have to regularly qualify with a firearm, but I believe this annual requirement can be signed off by any instructor that is able to certify LEO's in firearms. I am sure someone will chime in on it.

MSC 45ACP

If everything applies to you... You would also need to have a photo ID issues by the LEO agency you say you represent showing retirement as LEO. Plus you have to regularly qualify with a firearm, but I believe this annual requirement can be signed off by any instructor that is able to certify LEO's in firearms. I am sure someone will chime in on it.

I doubt the Navy will go for it. The Coast Guard didn't and CG LEO's have more authority than Navy MAAs or security guards. CG LEO's are Federal LEO's under 14 USC 89. Navy "LEOs" are not. The Commonwealth of VA DID recognize CG LEOs as LEOs when it comes to CHP's... The law was signed a couple years ago authorizing the $50 fee for CHPs be waived for recognized CG LEOs that have served at least 15 years in LE.

HB 637 Concealed handgun permit; waives fee for certain members of United States Coast Guard.
Ward L. Armstrong | all patrons ... notes | add to my profiles

Summary as introduced:
Concealed handgun permit; fees. Waives the concealed handgun permit fee (maximum $50) for certain designated boarding team members and boarding officers of the United States Coast Guard.
Full text:
01/12/10 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/13/10 10100193D pdf
03/09/10 House: Bill text as passed House and Senate (HB637ER) pdf
04/13/10 Governor: Acts of Assembly Chapter text (CHAP0754) pdf

01/12/10 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/13/10 10100193D
01/12/10 House: Referred to Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety
01/27/10 House: Assigned MPPS sub: #1
01/28/10 House: Subcommittee recommends reporting (5-Y 0-N)
02/12/10 House: Reported from Militia, Police and Public Safety (21-Y 0-N)
02/14/10 House: Read first time
02/15/10 House: Read second time and engrossed
02/16/10 House: Read third time and passed House BLOCK VOTE (99-Y 0-N)
02/16/10 House: VOTE: BLOCK VOTE PASSAGE (99-Y 0-N)
02/17/10 Senate: Constitutional reading dispensed
02/17/10 Senate: Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
02/19/10 Senate: Assigned Courts sub: Criminal
02/24/10 Senate: Reported from Courts of Justice (15-Y 0-N)
02/26/10 Senate: Constitutional reading dispensed (38-Y 0-N)
03/01/10 Senate: Read third time
03/01/10 Senate: Passed Senate (40-Y 0-N)
03/09/10 House: Enrolled
03/09/10 House: Bill text as passed House and Senate (HB637ER)
03/09/10 House: Signed by Speaker
03/11/10 Senate: Signed by President
04/13/10 Governor: Approved by Governor-Chapter 754 (effective 7/1/10)
04/13/10 Governor: Acts of Assembly Chapter text (CHAP0754)

HOUSE BILL NO. 637
Offered January 13, 2010
Prefiled January 12, 2010

K. No fee shall be charged for the issuance of such permit to a person who has retired from service (i) as a magistrate in the Commonwealth; (ii) as a special agent with the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board or as a law-enforcement officer with the Department of State Police, the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, or a sheriff or police department, bureau or force of any political subdivision of the Commonwealth, after completing 15 years of service or after reaching age 55; (iii) as a law-enforcement officer with the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, Secret Service Agency, Drug Enforcement Administration, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, Customs Service, Department of State Diplomatic Security Service, U.S. Marshals Service or Naval Criminal Investigative Service, after completing 15 years of service or after reaching age 55; (iv) as a law-enforcement officer with any police or sheriff's department within the United States, the District of Columbia or any of the territories of the United States, after completing 15 years of service; or (v) as a law-enforcement officer with any combination of the agencies listed in clauses (ii) through (iv), after completing 15 years of service; or (vi) as a designated boarding team member or boarding officer of the United States Coast Guard, after completing 15 years of service or after reaching age 55.

Unless you were in NCIS, I doubt you'll be recognized under LEOSA. Someone did try bringing it up to to CG HQ and they denied it for "regular CG LE folks", but accepted it for CGIS agents (CG version of NCIS).

NovaCop

LEOSA lets full time sworn police officers (also a few other individuals as well and a list of requirements) carry anywhere in the U.S. where police in that jurisdiction would normally be allowed to carry (so schools/courts/etc.). I am glad because I wouldn't like driving/walking around D.C. unarmed.

I'm not sure the rules about military police. It might be something to look into. I know the requirement for LEOSA also includes qualifying with your weapon regularly.

Basically a universal concealed carry permit with added areas.

Last edited:

CHILINVLN

LEOSA lets full time sworn police officers (also a few other individuals as well and a list of requirements) carry anywhere in the U.S. where police in that jurisdiction would normally be allowed to carry (so schools/courts/etc.). I am glad because I wouldn't like driving/walking around D.C. unarmed.

I'm not sure the rules about military police. It might be something to look into. I know the requirement for LEOSA also includes qualifying with your weapon regularly.

Schools? Are you sure?

Although Congress intended to allow officers nationwide carry, a legislative oversight greatly reduces LEOSA protections. As the act does not provide a qualified officer any exemptions from Federal Law, off-duty LEOSA qualified officers are subject to the restrictions of Title 18 U.S.C §922(q) known as the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act of 1995. It is therefore a Federal Crime for an off-duty LEOSA qualified officer to travel armed on any public sidewalk, road, or highway which passes within one-thousand (1000) feet of the property line of any K-12 school in the nation. Violation of the Federal GFSZA by an off-duty officer is punishable by five (5) years in Federal Prison, the officer's permanent loss of gun-rights, and will bar them from continuing work in law-enforcement.

Thundar

Be careful NovaCop, LEOSA is not a permit. It is only an affirmative defense to the felony charge.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Let Novacop do as he wishes Thundar.
I'll spring for a 5 year supply of Soap on a Rope.:lol:

Soap on a rope is not allowed. Too much like a lock in a sock, except that your prints go down the drain.

Old fashion brown soap would be good though, 'cause nobody would want to steal it.