• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WGME News - Maine may drop need for permit to conceal handguns

boyscout399

Bill would let gun owners carry concealed weapons without permits

I spoke with Rep Crafts this morning on the phone and it seems his intent with this bill is solid and we spoke about a few changes to make the intent of the bill a little clearer. This bill does not take anything away, it is all gain and no loss. We're getting there folks, make sure you get the word out to your reps that you want them to support this bill!

WantsToCarry

If the bill gets a lot of opposition, perhaps it could be amended to at least permit open carry in vehicles without needing the eprmit to conceal.

Good thought mike! At LEAST give OCrs that one.

Honestly, the only problem I have with Concealed carry permits is the whole having to prove my competency with a handgun. Most people can just put down a hunter safety course completion letter from when they were 15 and they are good to go. Im not a big hunter, so I don't have one. So in order to get paper work to prove i can handle a gun i gotta take a 100 dollar course. Which would still be worth-while to take, a bit of money im not willing to spend to prove i know how to handle a handgun.

Constitutional carry would be so wonderful for this state. Lets support this bill and get the word out!

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
If the bill gets a lot of opposition, perhaps it could be amended to at least permit open carry in vehicles without needing the eprmit to conceal.

From the representatives I have talked to at least, it seems as if this bill won't face much opposition? But only time will tell. We also never saw Portland passing what it did... (which at the end of the day is nothing, but they still went out of their way to send us a clear message).

boyscout399

Oh, I forgot about vehicle carry. This bill as written will still make vehicle carry require a permit.

WantsToCarry

Oh, I forgot about vehicle carry. This bill as written will still make vehicle carry require a permit.

GAH! I don't carry yet (Still got to buy my handgun) but from what ive herd people talk about thats prob the biggest problem they have when they OC, having to unholster it, put it away, and then take it back out and put it back into ready.

doorbell

from article
"Under current Maine law, if your gun is exposed, you don't need to have your permit with you. But if it's concealed you need to have a permit to present on demand.

Now, Republican Representative Dale Crafts of Lisbon wants to change the law for gun owners so they only need to bring their permit when they're at places like a polling place or school."

???
Is the author confused. maybe I am.
Permit carry at schools? I guess I need to look at this bill.

boyscout399

from article
"Under current Maine law, if your gun is exposed, you don't need to have your permit with you. But if it's concealed you need to have a permit to present on demand.

Now, Republican Representative Dale Crafts of Lisbon wants to change the law for gun owners so they only need to bring their permit when they're at places like a polling place or school."

???
Is the author confused. maybe I am.
Permit carry at schools? I guess I need to look at this bill.

The ultimate goal would be that the optional permit would allow carry anywhere in the state. This proposal is a step in that direction. The current proposal offers no repeal of the current statutes regarding carry in a vehicle, carry in a school, and carry in a place that serves alcohol that prohibits firearms. Eventually this law will replace all of those statutes and allow the carry with a permit but prohibit concealed carry without a permit in those select locations only.

boyscout399

The bill as I understand it only applies to those that have a concealed carry permit correct?

No. This bill removes the requirement for a permit to carry concealed almost everywhere in the state. A permit would still be required to conceal a firearm in select locations defined in the bill (municipal buildings, state buildings, poling places, hydroelectric or nuclear facility) The bill also mentions schools and bars, but does NOT replace the other statutes that already apply to those areas.