Thread: SB856 - Open Carry

SB856 - Open Carry

Text of SB856

This is the senate version of Open Carry. Yesterday, February 28, 2011, this bill came out of committee with Do Pass as Amended. This bill is currently pending co-authorship by Rep Wesselhoft, then it will go to the floor of the Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by hrdware View Post
    Text of SB856

This is the senate version of Open Carry. Yesterday, February 28, 2011, this bill came out of committee with Do Pass as Amended. This bill is currently pending co-authorship by Rep Wesselhoft, then it will go to the floor of the Senate.
    Thanks for the updates!

It appears that authors of bills can change the text of the bill up to the point it passes committee. This bill has been wined, dined and bent over the hood of a car to the point the only things that remain the same are the bill number and the author's name.

The new version of the bill makes it illegal to misrepresent yourself to a gun dealer or private seller for the purpose of purchasing firearms or ammunition.

Last edited by StogieC; 03-31-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Wow, bad reporting!

This bill has nothing to do with Open Carry.

I'm confused. Is this open carry legislation or just a gun law? Is it a celebratory milestone or just news?

The link to the article isn't working for me.

Before everyone jumps all over me and claims bad reporting and all, recognize that SB856 was an open carry bill as can be seen by my initial link to the bill as introduced.

Since this bill would not have been heard in committee, the author changed the contents of the bill to prevent misrepresentation to sellers. As I said in my post about changing the text of the bill.

This bill did pass both the Senate and the House in it's revised form and now has nothing to do with open carry.

Essentially this bill gives local LEO the ability to enforce federal laws and local prosecutors to prosecute against those laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    The link to the article isn't working for me.
    I contacted the reporter on the story and he removed it after I showed him that the bill was amended to have nothing to do with open carry.