• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB856 - Open Carry

hrdware

Text of SB856

This is the senate version of Open Carry. Yesterday, February 28, 2011, this bill came out of committee with Do Pass as Amended. This bill is currently pending co-authorship by Rep Wesselhoft, then it will go to the floor of the Senate.

JBURGII

Text of SB856

This is the senate version of Open Carry. Yesterday, February 28, 2011, this bill came out of committee with Do Pass as Amended. This bill is currently pending co-authorship by Rep Wesselhoft, then it will go to the floor of the Senate.

Thanks for the updates!

hrdware

It appears that authors of bills can change the text of the bill up to the point it passes committee. This bill has been wined, dined and bent over the hood of a car to the point the only things that remain the same are the bill number and the author's name.

The new version of the bill makes it illegal to misrepresent yourself to a gun dealer or private seller for the purpose of purchasing firearms or ammunition.

jcizzle

I'm confused. Is this open carry legislation or just a gun law? Is it a celebratory milestone or just news?

hrdware

Before everyone jumps all over me and claims bad reporting and all, recognize that SB856 was an open carry bill as can be seen by my initial link to the bill as introduced.

Since this bill would not have been heard in committee, the author changed the contents of the bill to prevent misrepresentation to sellers. As I said in my post about changing the text of the bill.

This bill did pass both the Senate and the House in it's revised form and now has nothing to do with open carry.

Essentially this bill gives local LEO the ability to enforce federal laws and local prosecutors to prosecute against those laws.