• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Raised Bill No. 1094 - AN ACT BANNING LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION MAGAZINES

djn777

Contacted both my Senator and Rep with this wording,

"I am unhappy to hear that the hysteria of the tragic shooting of Sen. giffords has brought about this bill in my state of CT. As a licensed, responsible gun owner i am shocked to be compared to the criminal who perpetrated this attack. I would like to know how and why you will vote on this bill. I hope you are getting inundated with emails and calls from the responsibly licensed firearm owners of CT that if this bill should be wrongfully passed will be considered criminals themselves for being in possession of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds that they legally purchased."

buketdude

What are they gonna compromise on? Ban the sale of Mags after a certain date? Mags have no markings or serial numbers...How could a LEO possibly tell when they were produced? This bill is DOA...I see no way it passes the Jud Committee...In fact...I will be surprised if they even take a vote on it....

emsjeep

This is not an ex post facto law. An ex post facto law criminalizes and imposes sanctions on past behavior. An example would be if they passed a law tomorrow that said, "Anyone who possessed a large capacity ammunition feeding device in the years 1994-2011 is hereby guilty of a Felony." Making something illegal that you already legally own is another issue.

MGoduto

What are they gonna compromise on? Ban the sale of Mags after a certain date? Mags have no markings or serial numbers...How could a LEO possibly tell when they were produced? This bill is DOA...I see no way it passes the Jud Committee...In fact...I will be surprised if they even take a vote on it....

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury:

I think that this is the 'line in the sand' we always talk about. You know, the gun law that is so intolerable that there is no compromise possible, and the possibility of active, armed resistance is very high.

If people like Looney want blood in the streets, this bill will do it.

mg

brk913

If people like Looney

I will only respond to this part of your post. Looney IS NOT the author or a current sponsor of this bill. From Bob Crook:

There has been some confusion as to the originator of this bill. I had a meeting with Sen. Looney’s Legal Advisor today and was assured he was not the sponsor. With his name in the electronic media and messages from other groups naming him as sponsor, he is receiving massive amounts of phone calls/e-mail. It was admitted they did address the prospect of submitting this bill, but felt it was not appropriate. The bill was not a Proposed bill but was Raised by Judiciary Committee. Note that CCS directed all communications to the Judiciary Comm, NOT to Sen. Looney. STOP communications on this issue with Sen. Looney NOW unless he is YOUR State Senator. It is not wise to unnecessarily upset the Senate Majority Leader.

Judiciary Committee Members 2011-12

Eric.Coleman@cga.ct.gov; Beth.Bye@senatedems.ct.gov; Doyle@senatedems.ct.gov; Gomes@senatedems.ct.gov; Meyer@senatedems.ct.gov, John.A.Kissel@cga.ct.gov; Michael.McLachlan@cga.ct.gov; Andrew.Roraback@cga.ct.gov; Jason.Welch@cga.ct.gov; Gerald.Fox@cga.ct.gov; David.Baram@cga.ct.gov; Jeffrey.Berger@cga.ct.gov; Charles.Clemons@cga.ct.gov; Patricia.Dillon@cga.ct.gov; Mae.Flexer@cga.ct.gov; Mary.Fritz@cga.ct.gov; Bob.Godfrey@cga.ct.gov; Minnie.Gonzalez@cga.ct.gov; Auden.Grogins@cga.ct.gov; Gail.Hamm@cga.ct.gov; Ernest.Hewett@cga.ct.gov; Bruce.Morris@cga.ct.gov; Melissa.Olson@cga.ct.gov; Kelvin.Roldan@cga.ct.gov; Joseph.Serra@cga.ct.gov; Joseph.Taborsak@cga.ct.gov; William.Tong@cga.ct.gov; Toni.Walker@cga.ct.gov; Gary.Holder-Winfield@cga.ct.gov; Elissa.Wright@cga.ct.gov; John.Hetherington@housegop.ct.gov; al.adinolfi@housegop.ct.gov; christie.carpino@housegop.ct.gov; DebraLee.Hovey@housegop.ct.gov; Themis.Klarides@housegop.ct.gov; David.Labriola@housegop.ct.gov; Arthur.ONeill@housegop.ct.gov; rob.sampson@housegop.ct.gov; john.shaban@housegop.ct.gov; bill.simanski@housegop.ct.gov; richard.smith@housegop.ct.gov; TR.Rowe@housegop.ct.gov;

Last edited:

emsjeep

From Bob Crook:
STOP communications on this issue with Sen. Looney NOW unless he is YOUR State Senator. It is not wise to unnecessarily upset the Senate Majority Leader.

tn_1236049239559.jpg

Must be friends with McCarthy....

Lenny Benedetto

people should join us at the capital. I see less than a dozen of us speaking at any given time on a topic in a state with 172,000 permit holders.

I'm not saying everyone can get down there, but..... less than a dozen!!!!

This is, unfortunately, the way it is!
You can get a thread going on here with 50 responses from 50 different people. All of them screaming at how "WE" have to stop this.

Then you see 2 people there testifying.

And when it passes 100's will be moaning about it.

The only way to truly stop things like this is to get involved and ACTIVE.
Take a few hours off of work, drive to the LOB and testify. Let our elected officials know that you do more than just vote for or against them, let them know that you are WATCHING what they do.
If you absolutely cant take the time off from work, then get on the phone and call them and POLITELY voice your opinion.

Lenny Benedetto

I will only respond to this part of your post. Looney IS NOT the author or a current sponsor of this bill. From Bob Crook:

There has been some confusion as to the originator of this bill. I had a meeting with Sen. Looney’s Legal Advisor today and was assured he was not the sponsor. With his name in the electronic media and messages from other groups naming him as sponsor, he is receiving massive amounts of phone calls/e-mail. It was admitted they did address the prospect of submitting this bill, but felt it was not appropriate. The bill was not a Proposed bill but was Raised by Judiciary Committee. Note that CCS directed all communications to the Judiciary Comm, NOT to Sen. Looney. STOP communications on this issue with Sen. Looney NOW unless he is YOUR State Senator. It is not wise to unnecessarily upset the Senate Majority Leader.

Bob's own email or at least the email that he sent originally stated that it came from Looney!

Well let me clarify that. Since Bob did not bother to write an email himself (he never does, he is more of the cut & paste kind of emailer), all he did was resend the NSSF's email.

Recon Marine

??????When is the Public hearing?????????

""""""""The only way to truly stop things like this is to get involved and ACTIVE.
Take a few hours off of work, drive to the LOB and testify. Let our elected officials know that you do more than just vote for or against them, let them know that you are WATCHING what they do.""""""""""""

What is the DATE & TIME, that the Public will be able to Speak, on this issue 1094?

Last edited:

Recon Marine

Tragisty 1094

My Letter:

To: Eric.Coleman <Eric.Coleman@cga.ct.gov>; Beth.Bye <Beth.Bye@senatedems.ct.gov>; Doyle <Doyle@senatedems.ct.gov>; Gomes <Gomes@senatedems.ct.gov>; Meyer <Meyer@senatedems.ct.gov>; John.A.Kissel <John.A.Kissel@cga.ct.gov>; Michael.McLachlan <Michael.McLachlan@cga.ct.gov>; Andrew.Roraback <Andrew.Roraback@cga.ct.gov>; Jason.Welch <Jason.Welch@cga.ct.gov>; Gerald.Fox <Gerald.Fox@cga.ct.gov>; David.Baram <David.Baram@cga.ct.gov>; Jeffrey.Berger <Jeffrey.Berger@cga.ct.gov>; Charles.Clemons <Charles.Clemons@cga.ct.gov>; Patricia.Dillon <Patricia.Dillon@cga.ct.gov>; Mae.Flexer <Mae.Flexer@cga.ct.gov>; Mary.Fritz <Mary.Fritz@cga.ct.gov>; Bob.Godfrey <Bob.Godfrey@cga.ct.gov>; Minnie.Gonzalez <Minnie.Gonzalez@cga.ct.gov>; Auden.Grogins <Auden.Grogins@cga.ct.gov>; Gail.Hamm <Gail.Hamm@cga.ct.gov>; Ernest.Hewett <Ernest.Hewett@cga.ct.gov>; Bruce.Morris <Bruce.Morris@cga.ct.gov>; Melissa.Olson <Melissa.Olson@cga.ct.gov>; Kelvin.Roldan <Kelvin.Roldan@cga.ct.gov>; Joseph.Serra <Joseph.Serra@cga.ct.gov>; Joseph.Taborsak <Joseph.Taborsak@cga.ct.gov>; William.Tong <William.Tong@cga.ct.gov>; Toni.Walker <Toni.Walker@cga.ct.gov>; Gary.Holder-Winfield <Gary.Holder-Winfield@cga.ct.gov>; Elissa.Wright <Elissa.Wright@cga.ct.gov>; John.Hetherington <John.Hetherington@housegop.ct.gov>; al.adinolfi <al.adinolfi@housegop.ct.gov>; christie.carpino <christie.carpino@housegop.ct.gov>; DebraLee.Hovey <DebraLee.Hovey@housegop.ct.gov>; Themis.Klarides <Themis.Klarides@housegop.ct.gov>; David.Labriola <David.Labriola@housegop.ct.gov>; Arthur.ONeill <Arthur.ONeill@housegop.ct.gov>; rob.sampson <rob.sampson@housegop.ct.gov>; john.shaban <john.shaban@housegop.ct.gov>; bill.simanski <bill.simanski@housegop.ct.gov>; richard.smith <richard.smith@housegop.ct.gov>; TR.Rowe <TR.Rowe@housegop.ct.gov>
Sent: Wed, Mar 9, 2011 11:31 am
Subject: Tragisty Bill 1094 "1 Marines Perspective"

Representatives,

I'm writing this letter in opposition of Bill 1094, limiting magazine capacity. This bill takes one tragedy (in Arizona), and “plays” upon it. No one will be safer because of this bill. No criminal will ever follow it, & the Magazines will be available in other places & the internet, not to mention the state is flooded with them. The author of this bill should be ashamed of himself or herself, acting in the fashion of an extremist, preying on tragedy, for their own thwarted agenda.

The Extremist proposing this bill, is proposing to take an estimated $40 million worth of private property away from Connecticut citizens, or they become FELONS, and can’t have a firearm at all, Bill 1094 has no relief fund set up to acquire new magazines for the 40 million lost.

There are approximately 176,000 pistol permit holders in the state of Connecticut, and an unknown amount of Connecticut citizens with hunting permit’s that own rifles that don't have to be registered, and millions in inventory located in stores, locally owed store’s where inventory cant be simply relocated.

176,000 (permit holders) X 4 Magazines each (CONSERTIVITLY) = 704,000 Magazines Held by Registered Permit holders Only, Not Hunter’s or Store inventory) X $40 Per Magazine = $28,160,000 in Magazines from Permit holders ONLY (NOTE THIS IS A HIGHLY CONSERTIVE FIGURE)

The orchestrater of this bill is now showing their true character, innocent people including children have lost their lives and become permanently disabled over what occurred in Arizona and the author of bill 1094 now try’s to capitalize their own radical agenda off this tragisty, this is undoubtly & incomprehensibly, low!

I'm utterly disgusted by the thought of a bill that would seize $40 million in private property, based on someone's radical agenda, who capitalizes on someone else's tragedy! This is non- common sense legislation!

Signed,
_________________________________________________________________________________________

REPLY#1::::::::::::::::::::::::
Gun Restrictions
Jason.Welch@cga.ct.gov To:
Date: Wed, Mar 9, 2011 4:49 pm

Thank you for voicing your concern. Government needs to stop overreacting to tragic situations and drawing arbitrary lines that infringe upon personal liberties and rights but do not address true problems.

I will oppose the proposed ban and further restrictions.

Sincerely,

Sen. Jason C. Welch

Last edited:

Good Citizen

Sen "Looney" is the Auther of this Bill!

This bill was written by Looney, Pushing his own extremist agenda, off of a Tragisy (Arizona). Dont be fooled, threating fellonis language, confiscating 40 million in privet property, burdening small business, by nulifing there inventory, and lots of 30 round ar or m16 mags area made in CT and there are no provisions for the business, and allowing them to keep manufacturing Magazines. No fund set up for the replacement of magazines, that would be Banned, by privet citizen & locally owned stores.

For the emailer BOB to write "Dont upset the Majority leader", that came from Looneys camp, that Egotistical statment. He is not my majority leader that Zelot, he has no power over me, (Except for his Psyso way of voteing), he is lower than toilet scum to me, I think more of a drug addicted Bum than Looney. What gives him the right to tell you how many bullets to put in your gun, Looney is an anti gun PSYCO, whats next how many kids you can have? Forced abortion, Fines for uncertified Birth's, Is this China?

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Wheeww !!! Good thing I don't reside in your state. I feel bad for you guys with those Anti Gun, Commie's you have as elected reps. If this goes through will you be a "law abiding resident of your state " or will you become an Outlaw.

March 1st: Senate Bill 1094 was introduced and referred to the Joint Committee on Judiciary. SB 1094 seeks to prohibit the possession of firearms magazines that accept more than ten rounds of ammunition. If passed and signed into law, any person in possession of any magazine greater than ten rounds, who has not already surrendered the magazine prior to enactment or ninety days after enactment, will be guilty of a class D felony.

I am glad my Magazine fort is not on the chopping block I have about 80 - 30 rounders & 30 - 20 rounders for the AR15, 20 -30 rounders for the AK & 12 - 17 round mags for the Glock

500 Magnum Nut

Actually, I think they are proposing this legislation for a specific reason. When they come back and suggest the law ban the sale of high-capacity magazines in the future, they can claim they are "comprimising" which is a favored tactic of the progressive/liberal/statist left.

Yes, you and I think the same. The current bill can't survive the way it's written, I figure a full ban of these magazines in all CT stores in the future.