• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Raised Bill No. 1094 - AN ACT BANNING LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION MAGAZINES

buketdude

proposed..I don't see a public hearing date for it yet....I expect this bill will get lots of attention..

I already fired off an email and made some phone calls...

30 cal slut

i think this bill is going to be THE hot button gun control bill.

i don't think the authors comprehend how many people will be affected by this.

there are several hundred thousand pistol permit holders in CT. that's not counting long gun owners who don't have pistol permits.

you figure many popular pistols that are sold come with 2 or even 3 mags, many of which hold more than ten rounds.

do the math, and then you include folks who hoard mags ... i mean, there are likely millions of mags in state.

i know that this taking of property is not going to be a small sum, and it's going to affect a LOT of people.

TonyM

bad things to come for this neck of the woods if passed

Some one from another forum brought up a point I thought I would share. "It probably won't get passed as written as it is hard to take peoples property without an entirely good reason and get it passed thru a legislature" so i guess be on the lookout for a revised bill?(not really sure how that works)

Recon Marine

Monitary Compensation

Mags are not cheap I've spent alot of time and money finding the right equiptment.....mags run from $30 to $50 bucks for FNP's and HK"s & most good factory mag's... and if i dont surrender them or get them out of the state im a Felon, WTF,............. I put in a call to my state rep,(ambercrombie) asking why i have to remove from the state or surrender thounds of dollars of my property or become a fellon as part of this propsed bill! In a budget crisis, Demanding monitary compensation will go far with unreasonable anti gun zelots they can't argue that, and when some Arizon Style Panzie wants to get dirty in CT, Leglature will see that criminals aquire outside the law, and dont give a F++k about some mag Ban! Whats next time limits on mag changes,LOL..At no laughing matter!

154,000 (permit holders) X 4 Mags (over ten rounds, per citizen.. highly Consertive) = 616,000 Mags Surendered(again HIGHLY Consertive #) X $40 Per Mag = $24,640,000 In Mags taken away from CT Citizens,......

......that need to be replaced... These Numbers are highly consertive I have just under fifty Mags between all my firearms... Hypotheticly I would need around $2000 to replace my Mags @ $40 a peice!

Last edited:

bobannesley

Ref: Bill: 1094 BANNING LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION MAGAZINES

I wrote and called Mr Looney and my Senators and Reps about this

You can find yuor own officials here:
http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/CGAFindLeg.asp

It has been referred to the joint Committee of the Judiciary
http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/MemberList.asp?comm_code=JUD

I am in the process of writing to them all

Heres a copy of my letter to Looney

Dear Representative Ryan

There is no justification for this act. It is based on hysteria and has no logical basis in reducing gun related deaths in the state of Connecticut.

As my State Representative I really want to know your opinions and how you will vote on this issue. I look forward to your reply

I bring to your attention
Copy Of letter sent to Senator M. Looney

Date 03/01/2011

Ref: Bill: 1094
BANNING LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION MAGAZINES

Senator Looney

I write to express my sincere dissatisfaction with the introduction of Bill 1094.

You clearly do not understand that this Bill will serve no one in reducing gun crime in the State of Connecticut. You are just using The Sen. Giffords tragic shooting as a means to an end which is to subvert my right to go about my day, with or without a legally purchased weapon with a magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds for my own and my family's protection.

As Rahm Emanuel said "Never let a good crisis go to waste"

Your philosophy is flawed as you also fail to understand that a magazine capable of holding 10 rounds allows for 11 in the gun as a whole. Since once the magazine is loaded into the pistol and the gun cocked, the first round enters the chamber and then round 10 can be replaced in the magazine - so your choice of 10 is obviously purely arbitrary.

Do you know how fast an empty magazine can be replaced with a loaded one? Probably not. 3 - 5 seconds. So 10 shots becomes 20 in a matter of seconds. See, you have not though this through.

I come from the UK and have been in the USA for 10 years now. I'm proud of that and the freedoms it provides. The UK's gun crime spiked directly after law abiding gun owners had to surrender their sporting guns, all legal of course after sweeping legislation made it illegal to have guns that shoot more than two rounds. So either guns were sawed up and melted down with no compensation to the owners or for shotguns were required to be modified at the owners’ expense to allow only two cartridges to be loaded at any given time.

I take great comfort in the fact that there are legally armed citizens willing to put them selves in harms way to protect others from serious injury or death by an errant gun wielding assailant.

Why would you want to handicap them?

If some perpetrator wants to commit a gun crime are they going to care whether the magazine holds 10 or 15 rounds?

As a man whose sister is an Inspector with the London Metropolitan Police Force I can tell you that gun crime in London now out numbers those significantly to that of New York.

So Senator, my questions are:-

1. How will this reduce gun crime or deaths by shooting in Connecticut?

2. How will the state compensate me for my new gun that you will render completely useless since low count magazines are not available?

3. How will the state fund these pointless and extraordinary processes of having police confiscate, from law-abiding citizens the millions of magazines already in the state?

4. When did you last hear of a shooting in Connecticut where more that a couple of rounds were used?. I think the local press would have call it a hail of bullets if even 10 rounds were fired don't you?

5. Why 10 rounds?, Why not 8 or 6 ?

6. How many of the gun crimes that are committed in Connecticut are with legally owned weapons?

7. Will you admit that this is just a precursor to a complete hand gun ban within the state, but you know full well that to come out right now and say that would cost you too much political capital?

8. Will you also immediately introduce a Bill making it a Class D felony to own a pitch fork with more than two prongs? A mad farmer could go on the rampage killing people in a shopping mall.

My research shows that you are a distinct career politician who quite apart from doing what's right for the state, is into preserving you own position by pandering to anti-gun pressure groups and lobbyists

I will muster significant support to defeat this affront you call a Bill

Sincerely

Lank

Really? Cause the way I read the bill it makes "Selective fire" weapons legal in CT again...seems like a good thing...

The proposal is to remove "selective-fire" from the definition of an assault weapon. After the change "Any firearm capable of fully automatic fire... at the option of the user" becomes an assault weapon. The way I read it, this would include something like a MAC-10.

Currently, a MAC-10 doesn't fit the definition of an assault weapon in (1) only because it is not a "selective-fire" firearm.

KIX

i don't think the authors comprehend how many people will be affected by this.

there are several hundred thousand pistol permit holders in CT. that's not counting long gun owners who don't have pistol permits.

172,000 permit holders (doesn't count hunting, of course).

How many of them become instant criminals, who knows.

This bill has been up for public hearing once last month. But, they were shady as hell on this one. This is the bill that had less than 24 hours public notice. 3:00 in the afternoon on a Thursday for a Friday hearing, if I remember correctly. The only hearing I missed so far.

Spoke at the capitol three times so far and tomorrow will be the fourth. Gonna keep my eye out for this one as well.

As far as do they know who they are affecting........ people should join us a the capital. I see less than a dozen of us speaking at any given time on a topic in a state with 172,000 permit holders.

I'm not saying everyone can get down there, but..... less than a dozen!!!!

I sure know for a fact we'll hear a lot of loud grumbling when the bill passes. We need to not wait until it's too late.

I sure as hell don't wanna hear any bitching from anyone that doesn't do a damn thing to fight this one.

At least contacting your reps. Even if it's Looney (name appropriate). He flat out lies on data when he speaks (I've already countered some of his testimony this year).

Jonathan

brk913

http://radioviceonline.com/connecti...st-facto-law-for-gun-magazine-capacity-limit/

Connecticut legislator proposes ex post facto law for gun magazine capacity limit on Thursday, March 3, 2011 at 10:47am. Posted by Steve M on March 2, 2011 at 10:22 am | Share via e-mail

Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3 of the Constitution is clear concerning ex post facto laws, but that won’t stop the anti-gun left in Connecticut from making possession of high-capacity gun magazines – previously completely legal to buy and own – a felony unless you turn in the ones you own within 90 days.

Let’s look at the legal portion of this law and eventually we’ll get to the stupidity. As noted, Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3 specifically makes ex post facto laws – literally, after the fact – unconstitutional. You can not punish conduct that was lawful prior to the legislation becoming law. In the past, conduct – or in this case ownership of an item – that is made illegal in the future would be “grandfathered in.” In other words, if you owned it pre-ban, you could continue to posses and use the item.

Last edited:

steve495

Connecticut legislator proposes ex post facto law for gun magazine capacity limit

Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3 of the Constitution is clear concerning ex post facto laws, but that won’t stop the anti-gun left in Connecticut from making possession of high-capacity gun magazines – previously completely legal to buy and own – a felony unless you turn in the ones you own within 90 days. ...

As the author of the above article who has lurked here frequently in the past, I wanted to chime in.

I very much appreciate readers passing along my articles, but copying and pasting the full content of my article - and not posting a link to the source website - is considered bad Internet etiquette and a copyright violation.

In the spirit of keeping authors like myself writing, may I suggest you select certain brief excerpts from the original post and provide a link to the original content in your post?

Connecticut legislator proposes ex post facto law for gun magazine capacity limit

Cheers,
Steve M

brk913

In the spirit of keeping authors like myself writing, may I suggest you select certain brief excerpts from the original post and provide a link to the original content in your post?
Fixed as requested. Just trying to get the word out quick.

dcmdon

http://radioviceonline.com/connecti...st-facto-law-for-gun-magazine-capacity-limit/

Connecticut legislator proposes ex post facto law for gun magazine capacity limit on Thursday, March 3, 2011 at 10:47am. Posted by Steve M on March 2, 2011 at 10:22 am | Share via e-mail

Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3 of the Constitution is clear concerning ex post facto laws, but that won’t stop the anti-gun left in Connecticut from making possession of high-capacity gun magazines – previously completely legal to buy and own – a felony unless you turn in the ones you own within 90 days.

Let’s look at the legal portion of this law and eventually we’ll get to the stupidity. As noted, Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3 specifically makes ex post facto laws – literally, after the fact – unconstitutional. You can not punish conduct that was lawful prior to the legislation becoming law. In the past, conduct – or in this case ownership of an item – that is made illegal in the future would be “grandfathered in.” In other words, if you owned it pre-ban, you could continue to posses and use the item.

Well Mr. Law Abiding Gun Owner, just bring it down to the DPS and we'll inscribe a serial number on your magazines, then register them in our database. Oh, and if you don't comply, you are a felon.

Come on, get creative. You know the other guys are brainstorming this to death.

steve495

Actually, I think they are proposing this legislation for a specific reason. When they come back and suggest the law ban the sale of high-capacity magazines in the future, they can claim they are "comprimising" which is a favored tactic of the progressive/liberal/statist left.

Of course, they still will be unable to provide any proof the legislation will do anything to stop a criminal from committing a criminal act, nor will it save even one life ... that could never be proven.

They they will require all high-capacity magazines sold in the future have some sort of stamp to show a born-on date or something.

And thank you brk913 for supporting authors who write on the subjects we all care about, and keep writing and calling state legislators...

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

brk913

Actually, I think they are proposing this legislation for a specific reason. When they come back and suggest the law ban the sale of high-capacity magazines in the future, they can claim they are "comprimising" which is a favored tactic of the progressive/liberal/statist left.

And thank you brk913 for supporting authors who write on the subjects we all care about, and keep writing and calling state legislators...

Cheers,
Steve

I agree with this, they are pushing for the sky and will "compromise" to pass a watered down version of this bill. I also agree it will not have any effect on crime one way or the other except for trying to turn legal gun owners into criminals.

Steve, I appreciate you calling me out on my netiquette, I was in quite a rush when I copy and pasted that in and I do apologize for not giving proper credit where credit is due. I also adjusted it on another forum where I had done the same thing. Please keep up the good work.