• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taurus PT845 review, test of 230 gr. Blazer FMJ -w/ pics.

j4l

I picked up my 845 today, finally. In other posts I described why I selected this model to be my future open-carry pistol,so wont bother repeating it here. But other contenders were 1911s, XDs, FNP, H&K, Bersa, Glock, etc. This one best fit my hand-size, the controls are ambi and placed where I grew up expecting them-same as 1911, etc.

I am most pleased in my choice, thus-far. This thing is sweet, a heck of a bargain @ $400 out the door,and shoots wonderfully.

845case2.jpg

84501.jpg

84516top.jpg

84512backstrap.jpg

84506spring.jpg

84521mag12ammo.jpg

84526rigrighthip.jpg

84525rigrighthip.jpg

j4l

Now for shooting. Concerned about over-pentration, was a bit over-cautious with backstopping.
845test01.jpg

845test03.jpg

25 ft. for the distance.

845test04.jpg

1st 2 shots -dead on point of aim-through roughly the same hole. rapid-fired, 2-hand hold, right-handed.

845test05round1.jpg

Last edited:

j4l

Switched hands for 3rd/4th shots, 3rd 2-hand/left strong, 4th just LEFT-handed. Rapid-fire. Over-compensated for what I felt would probably be too far to the left.
Rounds went lower and right.

845test07round23.jpg

Now, it get's odd. Only penetrated the 4 layers of denim, and 2 of the 4 phone books.

845test06round1a.jpg

845test08pbook1.jpg

845test10round1deep.jpg

and, all 4 recovered slugs -deformed quit a bit more than I expected for phone books. Ammo for break-in/function check was Blazer Brass 230 grain FMJ.

845test12all41.jpg

Last edited:

j4l

Took her back in to look her over, post-firing.

845test13rampshine.jpg

845test14insp.jpg

845test15borecheck1.jpg

845test16borecheck2.jpg

NICE. Most -pleased. Zero FTF/FTE/Jams. 2 full, 12-round mags- perfect.
Recoil? WHAT recoil? After the 1st double-tap. I stopped and double-checked the pistol and target to see if any rounds had even gone off! Other than the noise, I couldnt tell. Next person I hear saying they think .45 auto is too much....:banghead: :banghead: they just need to stick to spitballs or slingshots.
This thing fires very very smooth. Nice trigger-pull,in single-action AND in double-action. Hardly noticed any difference at all, really.

Cant say enough about the Novak Lo-Mounts. Very nice sights, clear picture, quick targeting, and dead-on point of aim-with this ammo at least-right out of the box.
I LOVE this thing.

j4l

In looking back over the slugs some more, it seems the jacket is awful thin compared to past .45 fmj i'd fired. Is this normal these days? Or the brand?

mark-in-texas

Hey!! I also recently bought one of those!! Yes, heck of a bargain at $379. Got mine to shoot in IDPA, it's legal in all 3 auto classifications! (De-cock and fire 1st shot DA and it's SSP, cocked & locked 1st shot SA and it's ESP, down load the mags & make the higher power factor and it's CDP!!) When I first got it home, the only 45 ammo I had was some old 185gn lead SWCs, notorious misfeeders. It ate them up like candy!

j4l

Ya, the current holster is just an interim one, until I can find one I like and need. Meantime, I just needed something to be able to holster it for around the house. Cant OC with this away from home unless/until the bill passes here in June. So until then , this is primary home-defense sidearm.

I was looking at those holsters, considering one-if I can find it with the drop kit. Im not crazy about the feel of the Hi-ride that 99% of the holsters seem to be. I like a lower ride (not thigh-drop,though).
Not at all crazy about kydex. I much prefer leather. And a main consideration for me also, is finding one that's ambi (this temporary holster is) for times when I have to carry/shoot left-handed when my right hand flares up, and becomes next to useless. :banghead:

But a great pistol indeed. Nice weight to it, even loaded, w/ spare 12-rounder on the holster, still comfy to carry. Been wearing it all day so far.
Also, noticed something else strange.

My Raven .25 was on the desk next to this when I set it down. I noticed that the grip width of this 845 is barely wider than the Raven... I put the magwell to magwell to compare em, and sure enough, the 845 is only roughly 1/8 inch wider....Nice.
12 rounds .45 in a grip frame barely wider than a 6-shot .25..
Pics of this tomorrow to demonstrate. Wish I had a 1911 handy to compare those also, but it doesnt feel noticeably wider in the hand than a 1911 either.

mark-in-texas

gutshot;1478279 You posted great pictures said:
I've found that the 845 fits the CompTac holster made for the Taurus 24/7 .45 auto. It also should fit the Blackhawk Serpa designed for that pistol, although I havn't had the chance to try yet (my local shop was out of that particular model).

DevinWKuska

Now, it get's odd. Only penetrated the 4 layers of denim, and 2 of the 4 phone books.

I am not sure what you were looking for. Its a .45acp round. depending on the load it should be in the ball park of 950ish fps. IMO its lack of penetration is what you should be happy about, will give a nice punch to BG and not through next 2 neighbors. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but, I dont think your gonna get a whole ton of penetration with a .45 but rather a whole heck of a lot of knockdown power.

SIDE NOTE: I am just envisioning BG's everywhere reading this and stocking up on phonebooks to use as body armor :lol:

j4l

Lol. Nah, Im happy about it-concern going in was hardball over-penetrating too much-as the common myth goes. Hence the over-abundance of caution back-stopping everything. But I did think it would have at least gone in as far as the 3rd if not 4th phone book-mixed blessing, I guess.

What most struck me as odd was the amount of deformation, and how thin the jacketing seems to be. I've also since noticed how soft the rounds are- just sitting in the magazine, or when being loaded, it's easy to dent them. Been some time since I used .45 hardball, but I dont recall them being this soft/thin...

And penetration aside- it does indeed pack a whallop-the 1" thick wood block I taped to the opposite end of the target-just in case- shattered into about 4 chunks with one of the impacts. Even though the round itself never go anywhere near it. Just pure, kinetic bliss..Also, the 1st gallon water jug in the 1st box ruptured and spilled out all it's water, with, i THINK, the 3rd round.-Again, even though none of the rounds penetrated that far-just pure shock-wave or pressure, I guess..

Last edited:

j4l

Ty, already am, loving it so far!

Now, I mentioned last nite that I glanced at the 845 next to my old Raven .25 on my desk, and noticed something odd...

For all those that say they dont pack a proper fighting handgun because it's "too big"...

The 845 side-side,grip to grip and muzzle to muzzle with the Raven POCKET PISTOL :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

845v252.jpg

845v253.jpg

845v255.jpg

845v254.jpg

Barely 2/8th's of an inch difference side-side grip or slide.
This despite 12 rounds of .45 auto double-stack vs. 6 rounds of .25 auto single -stack...

845v256.jpg

Last edited:

djy71280

Don't Buy Taurus!

I purchased a Taurus pt 845. The very first time I went out to shoot it, the gun did not fire. Talk about disappointed. So I did what anyone would have done, I contacted Taurus customer support. After five attempts each resulting in a 25-30 minute hold time, i was finally able to reach some one who I thought would be able to help me. Boy was I wrong. Not only was the person on the phone very rude, but they told me i had owned the gun for two years when it had only been a few months. The service rep. said there was nothing they could do for me and i would just have to pay to have it shipped and fixed. ????? so much for lifetime warranty. I guess i am trying to say that the gun seemed nice in the store and in all the articles, but when I got it, it was little more than a fancy paper weight. I plan to take the gun to a local gunsmith, get it fixed, sell it and never purchase another Taurus fire arm as long as I live, and i urge every one who reads this to do the same. Sure, not all Taurus firearms are pieces of junk, but when it comes time to deal with a broken firearm, you'll regret buying a Taurus.

Freedom First

Dude!

I purchased a Taurus pt 845. The very first time I went out to shoot it, the gun did not fire. Talk about disappointed. So I did what anyone would have done, I contacted Taurus customer support. After five attempts each resulting in a 25-30 minute hold time, i was finally able to reach some one who I thought would be able to help me. Boy was I wrong. Not only was the person on the phone very rude, but they told me i had owned the gun for two years when it had only been a few months. The service rep. said there was nothing they could do for me and i would just have to pay to have it shipped and fixed. ????? so much for lifetime warranty. I guess i am trying to say that the gun seemed nice in the store and in all the articles, but when I got it, it was little more than a fancy paper weight. I plan to take the gun to a local gunsmith, get it fixed, sell it and never purchase another Taurus fire arm as long as I live, and i urge every one who reads this to do the same. Sure, not all Taurus firearms are pieces of junk, but when it comes time to deal with a broken firearm, you'll regret buying a Taurus.

I have a couple of Taurus handguns and they work great. Have you tried TaurusArmed.net? It's a great resource for the Taurus owner. Your experience is not typical. Try Customer Service again. If you aren't satisfied then escalate the issue to the next level of staff. They mean "Lifetime" when they say it.

I will buy it for $250 if you still have it, even if it's still "broken"... :D

mark-in-texas

"they told me i had owned the gun for two years when it had only been a few months"

Did you buy it second hand? If so, take your 'complaint' to the person you bought it from. Why did it take you 'a few months' to find out it didn't work?? The longest I can think of between purchase and first shots on any gun I've every bought is probably 2 days!! The only trouble I've ever had with a Taurus was an older 24/7 that was picky about what bullets it would feed, but I've had the same problem with a custom 1911 that cost four times as much.

j4l

Here we go with the Taurus Myths,again. :banghead: :banghead:

Really,dude, 2 months? Really?....If even remotely true,the SSN of the gun is documented. If the gun had been listed 2 yrs prior, you bought a second-hand piece from a dealer who ripped you off. A previous owner could have done Lord only knows what to the pistol-hence your issue. And, the same could be the case with any make or model that dealer has in stock.
Your issue,if this even happened, is with the dealer, not the maker or anyone else.

Nearly 1000 rounds downrange,thus far. Zero issues of any kind. No FTF/FTE no jams, no mis-fires. No breakages or problems of any kind. Trigger is pulled, gun goes bang, target gets a nice big hole where intended.

Heavymb

This guy is 'drive-by' moron... pastes this same story everywhere

This 'DJY' fella has this posted all over the place. Copied and Pasted on the Taurus site & others.... just a drive-by whiner. Thought I'd share that with you guys over here. Thanks.

j4l

Ya, we're aware of em now. I called him out on the last to attempts with other names/accounts.. :banghead:

onlurker

I was looking at those holsters, considering one-if I can find it with the drop kit. Im not crazy about the feel of the Hi-ride that 99% of the holsters seem to be. I like a lower ride (not thigh-drop,though).

For these same reasons among others, I too prefer the lower riding duty holsters. They're quite a bit more on the spendy side but Safariland and Blackhawk both have duty holsters that will do what you're asking. You might want to consider Blackhawk though since you can get the CQC high-ride holster and get the drop attachment the duty holster uses for the CQC if that's more your cup of tea. Not a paid advertisement, just a satisfied Blackhawk customer.

j4l

For these same reasons among others, I too prefer the lower riding duty holsters. They're quite a bit more on the spendy side but Safariland and Blackhawk both have duty holsters that will do what you're asking. You might want to consider Blackhawk though since you can get the CQC high-ride holster and get the drop attachment the duty holster uses for the CQC if that's more your cup of tea. Not a paid advertisement, just a satisfied Blackhawk customer.

Didnt take it that way,understood ya lol. Ya, the one in the picks is a Blackhawk, el-cheapo, but works well, despite being nylon and hi-ride. Grabbed it at time of purchase just to have something. Still havent see/found any I like as yet, and neither Blackhawk nor Safari are making one yet for this model. Also, am trying to find something in leather,if possible. Not a big fan of the plastic holsters or nylon.