• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newt Gingrich on guns?

PracticalTactical

I have little trust for Republican leadership from the 90's.

When you or I break a contract, we get bad credit. When the 'Contract With America' was largely violated, the talking heads and the Tea Party give them a pass and pretend they did what they said they would.

As far as I'm concerned, the feller has bad credit and I will not be lending him my vote.

buzzsaw

I have followed the news accounts of Newt since he was speaker and while I find he is often "the smartest guy in the room" when discussing many events I have noted some troubling trends. As speaker he did oversee quite a number of pro 2nd amend. bills so I give him +1 on that score.

I did note, however, that he didn't exactly cover himself in glory in some of last years races. He continually came out for the "recognized establishment" (read party accepted) candidate to the detriment of individuals who adopted a more conservative position. The two specific races that I remember off the top of my head were one in NY (candidate slips my mind at the moment) and the Del. Senate race where a known and documented RHINO was up against the young lady who was much maligned as a practitioner of witch craft (doubtful but whatever). This as well as other expressions of his inability to control an obvious lean towards a quick temper (a malady I too suffer from but I'm not running) does not bode well for someone with the power to launch Atomic weapons. Just thinking out loud.

nobama

He also did a "going green " commercial with communist queen Nancy P. I lost alot of respect for him after that. I wouldnt wast spit on her grave.

bikemutt

I met Newt once at a support rally, great guy in person, would love to have had a beer with him. I could only imagine he'd be agnostic to pro on 2A issues.

But he's got so much excess baggage going in he'd need a fly on a cargo plane to get from Atlanta to Jacksonville. He is perfect press fodder and thus unelectable IMO.

kcgunfan

I have little trust for Republican leadership from the 90's.

When you or I break a contract, we get bad credit. When the 'Contract With America' was largely violated, the talking heads and the Tea Party give them a pass and pretend they did what they said they would.

As far as I'm concerned, the feller has bad credit and I will not be lending him my vote.

Perhaps you don't remember the terms of the Contract with America very well. If so, I recommend that you reacquaint yourself with them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract_with_America

The Contract was not about passing laws, that would have been nigh impossible given the Democratic Senate and White House. Rather, it was to bring up the issues for a full and open debate on the house floor. Despite that, almost all of them passed the House, and a good number of them made it into law.

I'm not saying I'm a Newt fan necessarily, I think he has a few strong negatives. But, the Contract with America is not one of them.

PracticalTactical

Perhaps you don't remember the terms of the Contract with America very well. If so, I recommend that you reacquaint yourself with them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract_with_America

The Contract was not about passing laws, that would have been nigh impossible given the Democratic Senate and White House. Rather, it was to bring up the issues for a full and open debate on the house floor. Despite that, almost all of them passed the House, and a good number of them made it into law.

I'm not saying I'm a Newt fan necessarily, I think he has a few strong negatives. But, the Contract with America is not one of them.

I stand corrected, but this further proves my point about empty promises.

In 1994 they only intended to have symbolic votes.

By 2004, the Republicans controlled both houses and the presidency. When they actually had the power to vote such policies into law, nothing happened.

In fact, it was worse than nothing. Take the Department of Education for example. In 1994 they promised to get rid of it, but by 2004 they had passed the No Child Left Behind Act, the biggest expansion of power and scope to the Ed Department in decades.

I don't trust mainstream neoconservative leaders with government any more than I would trust a drunk driver with my cars.

Uber_Olafsun

My wife works at a PR firm that helps represent Newt and I have sent an email to her boss asking if he has anything that he can release or if he can give a statement regarding his stance. Hopefully I will hear back from him soon.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Democans and Republicrats are just two wings of the same party: Government aka the "Keep Ourselves in Power" Party.

Here is a video where Gingrich and Pelosi were playing chummy about "global warming" and the need to for energy "solutions". Of course, by the time of this video, man-made global warming had been pretty thoroughly debunked, so the terminology was shifted from global warming to climate change leaving out the man-made part while preserving the feeling of dire problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RQKNH_nwM4

Think about this video the next time by corn or beef at an outrageous price. Ethanol for fuel diverts large amounts of corn to fuel, reducing supply for other uses like people food and feed for beef. And, the next time you are reading about how a wind turbine costs a zillion dollars. And, the next time you see the pathetic sales volume of the subsidized Chevy Volt and the other recent electric car.

There's ol' Newt ready to work with his counter-part (perhaps mirror image is a better word) to come up with energy "solutions."

Big Government.

If the Republicrats, or Democans for that matter, were serious about the country, they'd both be jamming the airwaves telling us how dire the country's fiscal situation is---we're broke (and in debt)---and telling us that measures tantamount to austerity were necessary yesterday. But, instead they come up with $61B in cuts when just in February the government set an all-time one-month deficit record of $223B. That's $223B deficit in one month.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

You had me at:

Democans and Republicrats are just two wings of the same party: Government aka the "Keep Ourselves in Power" Party.

Vote 'em all out every election. Left, Right, Up, Down, Lib, Neoconservative Replicant... whatever. Bye-bye!

Political office is not a career. It's a one time privilege.

Daylen

You had me at:

Vote 'em all out every election. Left, Right, Up, Down, Lib, Neoconservative Replicant... whatever. Bye-bye!

Political office is not a career. It's a one time privilege.

neoconservative? What a nondescript term. Why not simply call them by their self given name. Progressive. If you want to distinguish the McCain type from the Pelosi type of progressive there is another very old and still highly used designation; what side of the French parliament would they sit on? If they want to use the government to change society call them a left wing progressive; if, like McCain they want to use the government to keep society stagnant call them right wing progressives. By using the original names for an ideology or group one can follow the history of actions and positions better. If McCain is grouped as a Neoconservative then he is no longer attached to the progressives of old and people will not realize the folly of his favorite policies and ideas.

HandyHamlet

uhm... what?

I could give a sh*t what you call them. What they call themselves. Or what others choose to call them. Makes no difference to me.

How about calling them what they really are?

Thief
Liar
Traitor

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

Here is a video where Gingrich and Pelosi were playing chummy about "global warming" and the need to for energy "solutions". Of course, by the time of this video, man-made global warming had been pretty thoroughly debunked, so the terminology was shifted from global warming to climate change leaving out the man-made part while preserving the feeling of dire problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RQKNH_nwM4

Think about this video the next time by corn or beef at an outrageous price. Ethanol for fuel diverts large amounts of corn to fuel, reducing supply for other uses like people food and feed for beef. And, the next time you are reading about how a wind turbine costs a zillion dollars. And, the next time you see the pathetic sales volume of the subsidized Chevy Volt and the other recent electric car.

There's ol' Newt ready to work with his counter-part (perhaps mirror image is a better word) to come up with energy "solutions."

Big Government.

If the Republicrats, or Democans for that matter, were serious about the country, they'd both be jamming the airwaves telling us how dire the country's fiscal situation is---we're broke (and in debt)---and telling us that measures tantamount to austerity were necessary yesterday. But, instead they come up with $61B in cuts when just in February the government set an all-time one-month deficit record of $223B. That's $223B deficit in one month.

Excellent post.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Thanks. Doesn't sway me at all, though.

The Big Government grabbers can and have been taking more and more from us over the years, while letting us keep our guns. So, what? We've got our guns, but less and less of everything else, year by year.

And why not? Why would the government bother too much with our guns, when it knows it can take vast amounts of from us as long as it leaves guns more or less alone. "Drive the debt to the moon! Saddle 'em with Obamacare! Spend, spend, spend! Just don't do too much against their guns."

Chinese Diplomat: "Senator, you Americans must learn to control your subjects. This free-speech government-criticism is no way to run a country."

Senator: (whisper) "Ambassador Chang, you've got it all wrong. We've got the people right where we want them. Why browbeat them into submission when you can manipulate them into continuing to pay, pay, pay? We elites are much better off skimming from their production. Its totally a game of skim, ameliorate their anger just enough, and then skim some more.

And, best of all, we have the Federal Reserve. Those bast**ds keep printing money by the truckload whenever we want to spend. And, all we have to do is tax the commoners enough to pay the interest. They don't get near as upset about a rising national debt as they would if they had to pay directly in taxes! Now we have the best of both worlds, we tax them as much as they can stand, and we spend vast sums while moving those costs to the debt ledger. What a racket! We love it!!

Speaking of love, my wife is out of town. Is that cute little thing in your entourage single?"

Last edited: