• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GRNC Alert 3-1-11: Restaurants, Cars & Parks Bills; HB 63 & HB 111

senojkj

Grass Roots North Carolina, P.O. Box 10665, Raleigh, NC 27605
919-664-8565, www.grnc.org, GRNC Alert Hotline: (919) 562-4137

GRNC Alert 3-1-11:
Restaurants, Cars & Parks Bills; HB 63 & HB 111

The long awaited bills permitting carry in restaurants, cars and parks are now in Subcommittee A of the House Judiciary Committee. Contact the members listed below and tell them to support HB 63, Firearm in Locked Motor Vehicle/Parking Lot, and HB 111, Handgun Permit Valid in Parks & Restaurants.
IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED

Contact the members of House Judiciary Subcommittee A and deliver this message or one of your own:
Dear Rep.:
I urge you to place your support behind, HB 63, Firearm in Locked Motor Vehicle/Parking Lot, and HB 111, Handgun Permit Valid in Parks & Restaurants. These worthy bills will allow honest voters to protect themselves from criminals.
I will be following the progress of these bills through Grass Roots North Carolina.
Respectfully,
A Concerned North Carolina Voter
----------------------
John.Blust@ncleg.net, Martha.Alexander@ncleg.net, Hugh.Blackwell@ncleg.net, Jim.Crawford@ncleg.net, Leo.Daughtry@ncleg.net, Bill.Faison@ncleg.net, Larry.Hall@ncleg.net, Julia.Howard@ncleg.net, Darren.Jackson@ncleg.net, Ric.Killian@ncleg.net, Chuck.McGrady@ncleg.net, Grey.Mills@ncleg.net, Shirley.Randleman@ncleg.net, Deborah.Ross@ncleg.net
John M. Blust
919-733-5781
John.Blust@ncleg.net
16 W. Jones Street, Room 1229
Raleigh, NC 27601-1096

Martha B. Alexander
919-733-5807
Martha.Alexander@ncleg.net
16 W. Jones Street, Room 1213
Raleigh, NC 27601-1096

Hugh Blackwell
919-733-5805
Hugh.Blackwell@ncleg.net
300 N. Salisbury Street, Room 541
Raleigh, NC 27603-5925

James W. Crawford, Jr.
919-733-5824
Jim.Crawford@ncleg.net
16 W. Jones Street, Room 1321
Raleigh, NC 27601-1096

N. Leo Daughtry
919-733-5605
Leo.Daughtry@ncleg.net
16 W. Jones Street, Room 2207
Raleigh, NC 27601-1096

Bill Faison
919-715-3019
Bill.Faison@ncleg.net
300 N. Salisbury Street, Room 405
Raleigh, NC 27603-5925

Larry D. Hall
919-733-5872
Larry.Hall@ncleg.net
16 W. Jones Street, Room 1015
Raleigh, NC 27601-1096

Julia C. Howard
919-733-5904
Julia.Howard@ncleg.net
16 W. Jones Street, Room 1106
Raleigh, NC 27601-1096

Darren G. Jackson
919-733-5974
Darren.Jackson@ncleg.net
16 W. Jones Street, Room 1019
Raleigh, NC 27601-1096

Ric Killian
919-733-5886
Ric.Killian@ncleg.net
16 W. Jones Street, Room 2219
Raleigh, NC 27601-1096

Chuck McGrady
919-733-5956
Chuck.McGrady@ncleg.net
300 N. Salisbury Street, Room 418A
Raleigh, NC 27603-5925

Grey Mills
919-733-5741
Grey.Mills@ncleg.net
16 W. Jones Street, Room 2221
Raleigh, NC 27601-1096

Shirley B. Randleman
919-733-5935
Shirley.Randleman@ncleg.net
300 N. Salisbury Street, Room 531
Raleigh, NC 27603-5925

Deborah K. Ross
919-733-5773
Deborah.Ross@ncleg.net
16 W. Jones Street, Room 1023
Raleigh, NC 27601-1096
----------------------
You may find your NC STATE representative by going here:
http://www.grnc.org/contact_reps.htm

You may write your FEDERAL congressman by going here:
http://www.house.gov/writerep/

You may write your FEDERAL senators by going here:
http://www.senate.gov/

-------------------
Support these PRO RKBA merchants who, as GRNC sponsors, are supporting your Second Amendment rights:

Hyatt Gun Shop, 3332 Wilkinson Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28208, 704-394-0387, www.hyattguns.com
C & E Gun Shows, 4225 Fortress Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060; Phone 540-953-0016 or 888-715-0606; http://www.cegunshows.com/
Ryan & Nina Leonard, Down South Ammo, Home of "SOUTHERN THUNDER" Exploding Targets, http://downsouthammo.com/
Duncan Gun & Pawn, 414 Second St., North Wilkesboro, NC 28659, 336-667-6303, www.duncangun.com
Shooter's Express, 2 Caldwell Dr., Belmont, NC 28012, 800-358-GUNS, www.shootersexpress.com
The Aisle Pawn Shop, 216 N. Main St., Mooresville, NC 28115, 704-663-5656
Gunner's Alley, LLC, 203 N. Harrison Ave., Ste. 130, Cary, NC 27513, www.gunnersalley.com, 919-388-1991, contact: Ed Guerriero, ed@gunnersalley.com
Lake Norman Firearms, Inc., 20823 N. Main Street, Cornelius, NC 28031, www.lknfirearms.com, 704-892-7839
Vanguard Security Consulting, LLC, 19135 W. Catawba Ave, Cornelius, NC 28031
DoubleD Media, 8300 Raintree Lane, Charlotte, NC 28277, ph: 704-650-5555, fx: 704-544-0326, donna@doubledme.com

elixin77

is this the bill that will let people carry in restaurants serving alcohol?

if so, why is it limited to just people with a CHP? If thats the case, then users like mattwestm can't carry if we decide to go to a restaurant that serves alcohol.

Pressure the state senators and reps to allow anyone to carry in any mode at any time in any restaurant

sultan62

Yeah, I'm for a straight repeal of that statute as well. If passed, this will be the first state law that will allow CHP holders to carry somewhere other citizens can't.

rotorhead

I plan on it. I'm sure the intentions were good, but it really leaves people without a CHP in the dust in it's current form- something I cannot support. In it's current form, this bill will not allow for honest voters to protect themselves from criminals, as the suggested message to Representatives indicates. Instead, it only allows for honest voters that happen to hold a Concealed Handgun Permit to protect themselves from criminals. It's an important distinction, and one I feel should have already been fixed by now.

I intend to bug my district's elected officials until such time as it is amended to include those without a CHP.

Last edited:

rotorhead

heh...I noticed that my Rep is not in that subcommittee so bugging her would probably fall on deaf ears at this time. I'll hit the rest of them up tomorrow about this. I'm seriously confused as to how this important distinction hasn't been rectified yet.

cricketdad

I plan on it. I'm sure the intentions were good, but it really leaves people without a CHP in the dust in it's current form- something I cannot support. In it's current form, this bill will not allow for honest voters to protect themselves from criminals, as the suggested message to Representatives indicates. Instead, it only allows for honest voters that happen to hold a Concealed Handgun Permit to protect themselves from criminals. It's an important distinction, and one I feel should have already been fixed by now.

I intend to bug my district's elected officials until such time as it is amended to include those without a CHP.

I can tell you it was not intentional. While this was being discussed it never occurred to any of us there was a difference between OC and CC.

Who is your rep? Diane?

mekender

I can tell you it was not intentional. While this was being discussed it never occurred to any of us there was a difference between OC and CC.

Who is your rep? Diane?

Per this law, OC or CC wouldnt matter... BUT you would have to have a permit to do either.

elixin77

Per this law, OC or CC wouldnt matter... BUT you would have to have a permit to do either.

which is what I distinguished in the email I sent out to everyone. Basically told them that this would be the first law on the books that would prohibit a form of carry based on permit - hopefully they'll change it before it leaves committee.

rotorhead

Who is your rep? Diane?

Yessir, it's Diane.

I know it wasn't intentional, and I'm sure these things are sometimes written with these kinds of oversights in them all the time, whether it pertains to gun legislation or any other subject. I really don't believe for a second that the people who drafted this purposely intended to include CHP holders and intentionally leave out those without permits. Sometimes things just....happen.

The important part is that this was pointed out weeks ago and still there hasn't been a change to fix it. Now the bill is in committee and it's a good time to bring the issue up again before it passes this next step. The further along a bill goes, the harder it is to change it, it seems. I just don't want it going too far before the change happens.

This is something that, if left in it's current language, could possibly pass into law one day and that would be a great disservice to a large portion of the state's gun ownership body. It would either force some people into getting permits they don't want, or it would exclude them the right to defend themselves in certain circumstances where others could, simply because an oversight was allowed remain. You can bet that, if passed into law, LEOs would have no heartburn in pointing out the distinction between CHP holders and OC when it comes to writing tickets while enforcing the law as written. Giving LEOs that kind of ammo would be tragic.

Now is our chance to fix it. I feel it would be a stronger bill that could then move forward with the backing of not only CHP holders, but all gun owners as well.

I'm off tomorrow so I plan on sending out emails to the members of the committee and calling Rep Parfitt's office to make sure that they are aware of the oversight and to see what they can do to fix it. I'm confident that the folks within GRNC will also do what they can to fix this early on in the process. :)

Last edited:

cricketdad

Yessir, it's Diane.

I know it wasn't intentional, and I'm sure these things are sometimes written with these kinds of oversights in them all the time, whether it pertains to gun legislation or any other subject. I really don't believe for a second that the people who drafted this purposely intended to include CHP holders and intentionally leave out those without permits. Sometimes things just....happen.

The important part is that this was pointed out weeks ago and still there hasn't been a change to fix it. Now the bill is in committee and it's a good time to bring the issue up again before it passes this next step. The further along a bill goes, the harder it is to change it, it seems. I just don't want it going too far before the change happens.

This is something that, if left in it's current language, could possibly pass into law one day and that would be a great disservice to a large portion of the state's gun ownership body. It would either force some people into getting permits they don't want, or it would exclude them the right to defend themselves in certain circumstances where others could, simply because an oversight was allowed remain. You can bet that, if passed into law, LEOs would have no heartburn in pointing out the distinction between CHP holders and OC when it comes to writing tickets while enforcing the law as written. Giving LEOs that kind of ammo would be tragic.

Now is our chance to fix it. I feel it would be a stronger bill that could then move forward with the backing of not only CHP holders, but all gun owners as well.

I'm off tomorrow so I plan on sending out emails to the members of the committee and calling Rep Parfitt's office to make sure that they are aware of the oversight and to see what they can do to fix it. I'm confident that the folks within GRNC will also do what they can to fix this early on in the process. :)

The person that needs to be contacted is Mark Hilton. It is his bill. He has some say in the bill being changed. Thing to do is call his office and talk with him.

rotorhead

The person that needs to be contacted is Mark Hilton. It is his bill. He has some say in the bill being changed. Thing to do is call his office and talk with him.

Alrighty, thanks a bunch. I'll call his office in the morning and see where it goes.

Thanks again.

glockaholic

Here's what I sent to Mark Hilton <Mark.Hilton@ncleg.net>. I'll be calling his office shortly.

==============

Rep. Hilton, I'm pleased to see the introduction of HB 111 which would restore the right of law-abiding gun owners to carry their firearms in parks and restaurants. However, I'm concerned that the language of the bill only restores this right to those possessing concealed carry permits.

There are many gun owners who choose not to apply for concealed carry permits, but instead carry their firearms openly (which is legal in NC). By tailoring the bill for CCP holders, you are excluding firearm owners who don't have a CCP and are essentially creating a "special class" of citizen.

I urge you to change the language of the bill to include ALL firearm owners, regardless of whether they have a CCP or not. Even better would be a simple repeal of § 14‑269.3 which prohibits carrying weapons in an establishment where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

rotorhead

That's pretty much what I sent as well.

We'll just see where it goes. If it turns out that they move forward as written then it's better than nothing I reckon. I'll support it either way. I just wanted to try and fix it now, that's all :)

rotorhead

I did receive some emails in response to my concerns.

Although I am one of the more vocal people who wanted to see all gun owners included, I do understand the process and why some of these decisions are made. It's all good.

If indeed the bill moves forward as written, I will support it. I feel my concerns have been sufficiently addressed by those that are in positions to make the changes. I understand their concerns as well.

Let's move forward and help get this passed.

Coniferous

It's a tough issue. It diminished the OC-friendliness of the state and like you say, creates a "special class."

I'd have a REAL hard time saying that I'd rather the bill just disappear though... and I know almost *nothing* of the realities of lobbying that GRNC has been dealing with for years. I can imagine it sucks though. I'm not in politics for a reason.

WHY can't things be more black and white??? :D